Replacing OEM seats, how to resolve the Airbag light

Finn Sizzle

Hey everyone, I pulled the old and worn out OEM seats from my Jeep JK and upgraded with some suspension seats. The new seats do not reuse the OEM seat belt setup, so I am going with a 5 point harness. I resolved the seat belt warning by reconnecting up the seat belt receiver with the connector, all good there. However I'm having issues resolving the airbag warning light on the dash. I removed all of the wiring from the seat and even pulled the airbag and connected it, still does not clear the airbag light. Has anyone done this and found a way to clear the light? Pic attached for reference.

Any guidance / suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_6640.jpg

HazMatJK

I believe the airbag light will come on if you unplug the harness and then turn the ignition on. I think the dealer has to clear that light once its set?

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I believe the airbag light will come on if you unplug the harness and then turn the ignition on. I think the dealer has to clear that light once its set?

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

If the OEM seats have side airbags installed in them, and you remove/upgrade the seats, how do you bypass the airbag signal from the OEM seat. I think this is what the OP is asking.

Finn Sizzle

Yes, the OEM seats have the side airbags in them. Each seat has 2 connectors, 1 for the seatbelt (the passenger also has a sensor for the seatbelt) and 1 for the airbag connection. I pulled the OEM airbags* from the OEM seats and reconnected everything up, however the airbag light remains on. I was thinking that there was some connection/response that the sensors needed which is why I pulled and reconnected everything back up, however airbag light is still on.

*reconnected the OEM airbags as a test to see if that was the reason why the airbag light was still lit. I do not plan on keeping the OEM seat airbags connected.

I'm hoping that someone else has replaced their OEM seats with aftermarket and found the resolution for the airbag notifications.

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Yes, the OEM seats have the side airbags in them. Each seat has 2 connectors, 1 for the seatbelt (the passenger also has a sensor for the seatbelt) and 1 for the airbag connection. I pulled the OEM airbags* from the OEM seats and reconnected everything up, however the airbag light remains on. I was thinking that there was some connection/response that the sensors needed which is why I pulled and reconnected everything back up, however airbag light is still on.

*reconnected the OEM airbags as a test to see if that was the reason why the airbag light was still lit. I do not plan on keeping the OEM seat airbags connected.

I'm hoping that someone else has replaced their OEM seats with aftermarket and found the resolution for the airbag notifications.

I am following this thread because I too have OEM side airbags in the seats, and have been eyeing some mastercrafts. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in. :idontknow:

Top Bottom