Bike rack question.

ShinDiggity

I have been looking for a decent bike rack for the JK. Anybody have any recommendations on a decent bike rack? I'll need to hold up to 3 or 4 bikes and I have a 33inch spare on the back... Any suggestions and pictures would be great. Thanks!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I ran a 33" with a Yakima swing away four bike carrier. It worked fine but I don't think Yakima makes the carrier anymore. I'll see if I can find a picture.

ShinDiggity

What are the pros and cons running a spare tire rack? I would think it would stress the stock spare tire carrier...

RamP

Please forgive the pic i dont have a pic of this set up on my Jeep. But I use this hitch for my bikes. The Thule 916x2. It comes as a 2" receiver hitch mount that a 2 bike extension (the 918) can be added. The nice thing about this hitch is that the bikes don't hang off the Jeep. They are secured with their tires and are kept away from the Jeep and each other. Making sure to not scratch anything. And with a drop down extension it allows the tailgate to open without hitting. I'll take proper pics and post them for ya.
IMG_20121208_090742.jpg

ShinDiggity

Please forgive the pic i dont have a pic of this set up on my Jeep. But I use this hitch for my bikes. The Thule 916x2. It comes as a 2" receiver hitch mount that a 2 bike extension (the 918) can be added. The nice thing about this hitch is that the bikes don't hang off the Jeep. They are secured with their tires and are kept away from the Jeep and each other. Making sure to not scratch anything. And with a drop down extension it allows the tailgate to open without hitting. I'll take proper pics and post them for ya.
IMG_20121208_090742.jpg

That looks like a sweet rack. I like the idea of being able to open the tailgate with the hitch in place too. No issues with spare clearance?

HoosierWolf

I used to sell Thule bike racks. Love that model.

Wish I had purchased it because mine the bikes hang from their frames and its much more difficult to slide multiple bikes on especially if any of drop or lowered style top tubes.

RamP

Yeah you can use a drop down hitch like this one to clear the tailgate to open it as well as fold it up. You just install it in the down position.
image_zpsfd6839c0.jpg

K0260 I like that Kona. I rode a cinder cone for years before getting onto a full suspension.

Last edited:

Beyrgut

This is the THule rack I use too. Awesome rack. Clears the spare fine, only you can't stow the rack up-right without an extension. Works perfect otherwise. This is my wife and myself's downhill rides. Also have an all mountain Specialized Enduro, and she also has a Specialized Safire. Love to ride
View attachment 15865

I use this setup as well and have the extension to carry two more bikes. Great setup but a hitch extension/drop is a must if you want to stow the rack or open the tailgate.

ShinDiggity

I like the idea of hitch racks because you can open the tailgate with the rack on. Plus I think it will be less stress on the spare. Thank you all for the advice. Now I just have to fork up the money to do this.

mgmavant

The Thule hitch rack is by far one if the best. It is HEAVY - especially if you get the two-bike extension - and it sticks out a lot farther than a spare tire carrier, but there is no better way to carry your bikes on a Jeep (unless you have a roof carrier). I use it for my S-Works Tarmac & Stumpy at the same time with no issues at all (need to protect all that carbon). It also works great for my Transition (even with a disk on the rear) or my Gunnars. Any combo works great and I can even put my kids bikes on there. However, I can't open the back with the OEM spare tire on the back (doesn't clear the latch mechanism).

If I'm only carrying one bike, I can get it to fit in the back of the Jeep without a carrier without a problem (but with the Stumpy I have to fold down one of my back seats). BTW - I have the four door Rubie.

Sent from my MB886 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Here's my set up. With the hitch extension it moves around a little but it's not going anywhere.

image-1643276458.jpg

Top Bottom