Rubicon Trail - September 17 -20, 2017

Mizippi

Rubicon Trail - September 17 - 19, 2017

So...the great idea for this trip came from one of this years Texas Exodus precipitant Buster3479 (thanks!). The idea was why just run Ouray and Moab in a week and a half. Why not add the rubicon trail to the beginning (epic!).

In the spirit of epic, who else wants to come?

I'll add more details to this post as time goes on. PM me if you're interested in going.

Minimum requirements:

1) An actual functioning CB

2) Front and rear recovery points

3) Front and rear lockers (!!)

4) Sway bar quick disconnects

5) 2"-4" lift.

6) Experience. This is not a
beginners run (!!!!!!)

7) Fire extinguisher

8) Spill kit

9) Food, drinks, ice, Trash bags, etc

10) Camping gear....we will spend 2 nights on the trail

There is a huge event on the Rubicon Trail the weekend before we get there (150 rigs), so it seemed better to focus on the 18th and 19th for the heavy trail days.

Day 1 (Sept 17th): Travel day. I suggest camping at Loon Lake.

Day 2 (Sept 18th): We leave Loon Lake staging area across the damn at 8am. We will Camp at Rubicon Springs

Day 3 (Sept 19th): We leave Rubicon Springs at 8am.

I would suggest as you drive in on the 17th that you start in Georgetown (the original starting point of the trail...I am told). Please note that it's paved from Georgetown (95634) to Loon Lake, so we will start the real fun on the 18th.

Loon Lake details can be found on their website:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/eldorado/recarea/?recid=71069 You are on your own for accommodations on the 17th.

Rubicon Springs details can be found on their website:
http://rubiconsprings.com/about/ I will reserve us a spot at Rubicon Springs for our tents.

Wiki details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubicon_Trail?wprov=sfsi1

(Optional.....on the 17th, I am hoping to get there in time to start the trail at Wentworth Springs which connects close to Loon Lake. As we get closer I will add details if I get there in time.)
------
Oh, this is my first time to organize a trip thru wayalife, so this may go slower than some of you are use to. PM me if you're interested in going.
------

Going:

1) Mizippi +1

2) Kentthejeepguy +1

3) Kentthejeepguy (2nd rig)

4) Kentuckianajk +1

5) Mizippi (2nd rig)

6) Renzo1200

7) Desert Crawler +.5

8) Battle Born JK +1

9) Battle Born (2nd rig)

Tentative:

1) Buster3479

Last edited:

Kenthejeepguy

So...the great idea for this trip came from one of this years Texas Exodus precipitant Buster3479 (thanks!). The idea was why just run Ouray and Moab in a week and a half. Why not add the rubicon trail to the beginning (epic!).

In the spirit of epic, who else wants to come?

I'll add more details to this post as time goes on. PM me if you're interested in going.

Minimum requirements:

1) An actual functioning CB

2) Front and rear recovery points

3) Recovery gear

4) Sway bar quick disconnects

5) 2"-4" lift.

6) Experience. This is not a
beginners run (!!!!!!)

7) Fire extinguisher

8) Spill kit

9) Trasharoo or something like it

10) Camping gear....we will spend 2 nights on the trail

I will update this post with trip details soon, but I wanted to get the thread out there to see who can join

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Oh, this is my first time to organize a trip thru wayalife, so this may go slower than some of you are use to. PM me if you're interested in going.

Going:

1) Mizippi +1

2)

Tentative:

1)

2)

Definitely would like to be in. My 34-yr old son from Indiana is gonna fly out to join us too, so that's 2 rigs & me & 3 of my boys. And how fancy a spill kit do I need?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

kentuckianajk

The wife and I would like to join this group going to check make sure the dates are clear for us and look FWD to doing this Trail.

Kenthejeepguy

Going:

1) Mizippi +1

2) Kentthejeepguy +1

3) Kentthejeepguy (2nd jeep)

4) Paws

5) Kentuckianajk +1

6)

Tentative:

1) Fiend

2)
Hi Mizippi, awesome job on arrangements; thanks! Please post (or PM me) if there's costs we need to share... and does the Rubicon Springs campground have a fee? I haven't been in on a group event and don't know the expectations. Don't wanna be a loser and not do something I'm supposed to! Again, thanks!

fiend

Caught the Bug
Details shaping up thanks for doing the homework. I need to check with my prospective co-pilot and then confirm. Sure would like to make it work.

Moochie

Bring cash for camping at Rubicon Springs. It's $10 or $15 per night, per Jeep, I think. They will come around to your site and collect it. There can be an occasional bear (rarely). I've heard stories of bears stealing food from coolers.

jesse3638

Hooked
Not at a O'reillys near me (Oc). Online only

Yeah I wasn't sure until I called my local one. Fortunately I have 3 in my immediate area one of which is a distribution center. Anything I order through my local store can be had same day if its in stock at the warehouse. They also carry Spicer u-joints which is nice.

Mizippi

Bring cash for camping at Rubicon Springs. It's $10 or $15 per night, per Jeep, I think. They will come around to your site and collect it. There can be an occasional bear (rarely). I've heard stories of bears stealing food from coolers.

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated.

Kenthejeepguy

Rubicon Trail -

...PM me if you are interested.

2)

Hey Mizippi, hope I'm not asking too many stupid questions.

(Btw, thePM thing said your inbox was full so here we go with a public post laying out my question for all the Jeeping world to see, LOL)

Anyway, My main rig is all set for the trip, other than I'm getting a CB radio put in next week. Front and rear lockers, lifted, 35 inch tires, typical Rubicon skid plates plus a few more, 4" lift, Winch, etc.

I was going to bring my 1960 CJ along for my out-of-state kid to drive. It's been lifted, rebuilt engine and tranny, winch and CB all set. Trouble is, no lockers. I think according to the guidelines you've posted I can't bring this rig along because of the lockers. Is that correct?

No hard feelings if I can't, but if there was someway I took responsibility for getting it out of any jams, are the rules flexible at all? Ideally I would love to bring it along but if you need to set the limits there, I understand.

Can you let me know? I didn't need this to be a public post I just need to know about my specific vehicle. Thanks, man.

Last edited:

Mizippi

Hey Mizippi, hope I'm not asking too many stupid questions.

(Btw, thePM thing said your inbox was full so here we go with a public post laying out my question for all the Jeeping world to see, LOL)

Anyway, My main rig is all set for the trip, other than I'm getting a CB radio put in next week. Front and rear lockers, lifted, 35 inch tires, typical Rubicon skid plates plus a few more, 4" lift, Winch, etc.

I was going to bring my 1960 CJ along for my out-of-state kid to drive. It's been lifted, rebuilt engine and tranny, winch and CB all set. Trouble is, no lockers. I think according to the guidelines you've posted I can't bring this rig along because of the lockers. Is that correct?

No hard feelings if I can't, but if there was someway I took responsibility for getting it out of any jams, are the rules flexible at all? Ideally I would love to bring it along but if you need to set the limits there, I understand.

Can you let me know? I didn't need this to be a public post I just need to know about my specific vehicle. Thanks, man.

Fine with me. We don't have 20 Jeeps going, so we will just be ready to winch and move forward.

(Cleaned up my inbox. Thx for the heads up)

Last edited:
Top Bottom