Coil springs upgrade

H20JNKY

Need to upgrade my coils on my JK. I was suggested to use Rubicon Express coils. Good, bad and are there any other suggestions? I have some sagging going on on the passenger side, so I will just replace all 4 coils. I plan on doing a full suspension upgrade when I'm back in the states which is about 18 months from now. I'm currently running the fox 2.0 shocks for 2.5" - 3.5" lifts. Thanks for the help.

Damn it! Coil Springs should be the heading! Can't figure out how to edit it!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I replaced my 4.5" aev coils which were pretty stiff and gave of actual 5.25" of lift with 4" EVO plush rides which give me a lot more flex and feel a lot better on both street and off-road (actual 4" of lift)

One thing I will tell you that with EVO cool coils you will actually get the lift height they advertise oppose to other companies. So what if you get EVO 3" coils it will put right where you want to be for your shock length.

Some springs are cooler them the others [emoji41]......

H20JNKY

I replaced my 4.5" aev coils which were pretty stiff and gave of actual 5.25" of lift with 4" EVO plush rides which give me a lot more flex and feel a lot better on both street and off-road (actual 4" of lift)

One thing I will tell you that with EVO cool coils you will actually get the lift height they advertise oppose to other companies. So what if you get EVO 3" coils it will put right where you want to be for your shock length.

Some springs are cooler them the others [emoji41]......

Will those work with my Fox 2.0 shocks? The specs say they are only for 2.5" and 3.5" lifts. I currently have a pro comp 3.5" lift.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Need to upgrade my coils on my JK. I was suggested to use Rubicon Express coils. Good, bad and are there any other suggestions? I have some sagging going on on the passenger side, so I will just replace all 4 coils. I plan on doing a full suspension upgrade when I'm back in the states which is about 18 months from now. I'm currently running the fox 2.0 shocks for 2.5" - 3.5" lifts. Thanks for the help.

Damn it! Coil Springs should be the heading! Can't figure out how to edit it!

Depends on the kind of ride you want and what you want your coils to do for you. RE coils tend to run on the firm side and if that's what you're wanting, they'll probably work out well for you. If you want a softer ride, I would recommend EVO Plush Ride. That being said, if you carry a heavy load a lot, the EVO coils will sag and you'll want to run them with coil spacers to help make up the difference. If ride comfort isn't as important as a level "look", dual rate coils like the kind Rancho or AEV make will do a better job of giving you what you need. Basically, try not to shop by brand name but rather, shop based on what you want your ride to behave and maybe we can help point you toward a brand that will give you that.

As far as your passenger side lean goes, that's totally normal for a JK and you can help correct that by installing adjustable sway bar links and purposefully setting them longer on the passenger side.

H20JNKY

Depends on the kind of ride you want and what you want your coils to do for you. RE coils tend to run on the firm side and if that's what you're wanting, they'll probably work out well for you. If you want a softer ride, I would recommend EVO Plush Ride. That being said, if you carry a heavy load a lot, the EVO coils will sag and you'll want to run them with coil spacers to help make up the difference. If ride comfort isn't as important as a level "look", dual rate coils like the kind Rancho or AEV make will do a better job of giving you what you need. Basically, try not to shop by brand name but rather, shop based on what you want your ride to behave and maybe we can help point you toward a brand that will give you that.

As far as your passenger side lean goes, that's totally normal for a JK and you can help correct that by installing adjustable sway bar links and purposefully setting them longer on the passenger side.

Thanks Eddie! It certainly looks a little odd with the sag on the passenger side. We are looking for a little bit more comfort down here in MX, the roads are killer and I can't be aired down all the time. I'm looking for something to get us through the next 18 months or so. We have the ARB fridge in the back along with about 150lbs of gear/tools. That's about as heavy as it gets since we don't camp down here.

Would I need the adjustable sway bar links with the EVO coils?

When we are back state side I plan on putting a new suspension together and possibly upgrading the axles as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie! It certainly looks a little odd with the sag on the passenger side.

There are kits out there where you can just install a spacer under the passenger side rear sway bar mount and that alone will help things out. If the sag is really significant, it could be you have an over compressed coil and nothing short of replacing it or adding coil spacers will fix it.

We are looking for a little bit more comfort down here in MX, the roads are killer and I can't be aired down all the time. I'm looking for something to get us through the next 18 months or so. We have the ARB fridge in the back along with about 150lbs of gear/tools. That's about as heavy as it gets since we don't camp down here.

Based on what you're saying, the EVO Plush Ride coils will be what you're wanting and the amount of gear you have doesn't sound too bad. Back when I was running them, I ran 1" coil spacers to help make up the difference and preferred that over the myriad of other coils I've run in the past. As far as air in your tires go, if I recall, you're running 37" Toyo's and they will be a load range E. That's a really tough tire and one that will have a firmer feel. When I ran them, I did so at about 26-28 psi max. Anything more than that is too much and you will have a harsh ride.

Would I need the adjustable sway bar links with the EVO coils?

Every JK has the lean, some more so than others depending on the condition of their coils. New adjustable links or spacing out your sway bar mount will be something you'll most likely want regardless of what you go with.

H20JNKY

There are kits out there where you can just install a spacer under the passenger side rear sway bar mount and that alone will help things out. If the sag is really significant, it could be you have an over compressed coil and nothing short of replacing it or adding coil spacers will fix it.

Based on what you're saying, the EVO Plush Ride coils will be what you're wanting and the amount of gear you have doesn't sound too bad. Back when I was running them, I ran 1" coil spacers to help make up the difference and preferred that over the myriad of other coils I've run in the past. As far as air in your tires go, if I recall, you're running 37" Toyo's and they will be a load range E. That's a really tough tire and one that will have a firmer feel. When I ran them, I did so at about 26-28 psi max. Anything more than that is too much and you will have a harsh ride.

Every JK has the lean, some more so than others depending on the condition of their coils. New adjustable links or spacing out your sway bar mount will be something you'll most likely want regardless of what you go with.

Thank you very much! With all that being said, would you recommend I buy the 4" front and rear EVO coils or the 3" and add the 1" spacer in either scenario? I'm running that pro comp 3.5" lift. Thanks again for the help!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you very much! With all that being said, would you recommend I buy the 4" front and rear EVO coils or the 3" and add the 1" spacer in either scenario? I'm running that pro comp 3.5" lift. Thanks again for the help!

Your Procomp 3.5" coils more than likely yielded you over 4" of lift. I would recommend that you get the 4" EVO coils. IF you feel that you are sagging in the rear with your gear, add 1" coils spacers at that time. Unloaded, you might sit a little high in the rear but nothing more than you'd see with a factory rake.

H20JNKY

Your Procomp 3.5" coils more than likely yielded you over 4" of lift. I would recommend that you get the 4" EVO coils. IF you feel that you are sagging in the rear with your gear, add 1" coils spacers at that time. Unloaded, you might sit a little high in the rear but nothing more than you'd see with a factory rake.

Sounds good! Thank you very much! Gaby, the kids and I will be back up the week before Nevada Day. I know you usually have a show that weekend, but if you and Cindy around earlier in the week, would love to buy you and Cindy a beer or two at The Fox. Cheers!

Agreed with the 1" spacer. I run 4" EVO coils and recently put in 3/4" rear spacers, and now I'm feeling that I should have gone for the 1".

My brother runs the 3" plush rides with the Fox 2.0 Factory series. I run the Rancho 9000s set to soft and they ride noticably smoother than his does.

Top Bottom