Smittybilt Scout trailer

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I guess Smittybilt is finally releasing the Scout off road trailer after revealing it at Sema 2 years ago. The MSRP looks to be around $6000. Would you buy it?
Here's their promotional vid.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I guess Smittybilt is finally releasing the Scout off road trailer after revealing it at Sema 2 years ago. The MSRP looks to be around $6000. Would you buy it?
Here's their promotional vid.
https://youtu.be/kI-lxWzyUF0

Someone on the forum already has it (I can't remember the thread). It looks decent enough, but having shopped around I think it is overpriced for what it is. At $4k it's a maybe for me, at $6k I want a lot more.

GraniteCrystal

Someone on the forum already has it (I can't remember the thread). It looks decent enough, but having shopped around I think it is overpriced for what it is. At $4k it's a maybe for me, at $6k I want a lot more.
Pretty much how I feel. $6k is a lot.

black pearl

Hooked
I'm hesitant of the steel quality they use. I got a set of rockslides, off of a jeep being parted out. They turned out to be smittybilt, I'm not impressed by how they handle their job.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug

I must have missed that tread. I'm sure the price will drop if it doesn't sell well. Then again, it's the cheapest I've seen for sale. Curious of its quality tho.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Looks cool. I can't comment on quality, I can only assume; that being said, the rest of Smittybilt's products seem to be built with low-quality materials to keep a low cost. You get what you pay for. I'm curious to see one of these trailers in person.

HOWEVER, not to derail the thread BUT..... I don't understand these trailers. If I'm going to spend $6000 on a trailer, I'm going to want more than just a tent. I could get a decent pop-up or even a used full camper for that price. I don't know, maybe it makes sense for a family. I could live out my TJ, let alone a 4 door JKU. I would hate having a big trailer like that dragging behind me on the trails. Just my two cents. Carry on!

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
for that cost I could go buy one on gov. planet or locally find something and put it together for less .................. am doing a lot of looking right now as I am considering making my life mobile and travelling all the time so considering which route is best for me and looking at travel trailers , teardrops , camp trailers , cargo trailers and just anything and everything in between ...... now granted I do want something off road capable but in all honesty how much time will be spent pulling a trailer in a lot of the places we run with the actual jeep ...mostly what we are prone to doing is setting up a form of base camp then running out and about from there ... am leaning mostly towards a off road capable teardrop and then trailers like a Casita that is lightweight but fully able to be lived out of ...

TheGrendel

Looks cool. I can't comment on quality, I can only assume; that being said, the rest of Smittybilt's products seem to be built with low-quality materials to keep a low cost. You get what you pay for. I'm curious to see one of these trailers in person.

HOWEVER, not to derail the thread BUT..... I don't understand these trailers. If I'm going to spend $6000 on a trailer, I'm going to want more than just a tent. I could get a decent pop-up or even a used full camper for that price. I don't know, maybe it makes sense for a family. I could live out my TJ, let alone a 4 door JKU. I would hate having a big trailer like that dragging behind me on the trails. Just my two cents. Carry on!

agreed. i like the idea of an offroad trailer. but, these ready built ones are absurdly priced for what you are getting.

mo0s3

My little brother just bought this and it is a BEAST.

As far as quality we can not find one thing on this trailer that is sub par. Maybe the tongue weight, but that is IT.

Last edited:
Looks like a cool trailer. I will always question Smittybilt's quality, no matter what it is they're making though. Like Banana said, I'm not sure I'd ever use something like this...it's ridiculously expensive and I'm not sure we'd ever get the use out of it, even when we have kids. I'll just tell my children to PACK LIGHT :cheesy::beer:

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I agree with a lot of you. I don't think this is the type of toy for a weekend warrior. If I'm on a week long excursion deep in the woods, I would definitely want something like this trailing behind me.
Or if I was filthy rich I would have one for the hell of it.

Last edited:

mo0s3

This is a fantastic trailer if you want to go off grid, which is the purpose. I built a M416 trailer for the same thing ! Sure if you like camping in a campground then this is prolly not the best thing for you but..... if you want to actually go on a wheeling trip in the middle of nowhere for a extended amount of time then this is for you. Or just stick to glamping [emoji23]

It has D-Rings on it, is that so you can recover the jeep from the trailer? or just recover the trailer? I would question that being attached with a standard ball hitch.

mo0s3

It has D-Rings on it, is that so you can recover the jeep from the trailer? or just recover the trailer? I would question that being attached with a standard ball hitch.

It has D rings and a hitch on the back as well, if it gets stuck you can un hook the trailer and pull it back with another jeep. Great addition if you back up on rocks and it T bones or need to pull it to the side and have the trailer fully loaded .

BaddestCross

It's cheaper than the competing trailers out there. I've gotta say that the last few things I've purchased from Smittybilt have been good quality. Maybe something changed for the better over the last couple of years.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
I checked it out in person a few months back and liked it. I thought it was pretty well built and it would solve a lot of my "space problems" packing 4 people in the jeep with all the associated gear. It is a little expensive, but definitely the least expensive, decently built, off-the-shelf option out there as far as I can tell. It's on the maybe list still. :yup:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
And for the price ........holy shit you should see this thing. Lol they could sale it for 10k easy

Lol!!! Get off the crack pipe. For $10k you can get an aluminum RockBox that is leaps and bounds better than this trailer. Hell, at that price you could damn near get a fully loaded LeadDog Motorsports trailer and not have to ever deal with a tent...or even a Chaser with trailing arm suspension.

The Smitty is a very basic box on a frame; it's not worth $6k.

Top Bottom