what is your trailer ? camp trailer , teardrop , travel trailer or ????????

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
ok so I have been looking at all kinds of trailers......................... camp trailers , travel trailers , teardrop trailers , converted cargo haulers , pop up campers and just about thing that can be lived out of regardless of what it was ... I already know I am going to be going full time travelling within the next few years to get out the rat race ......I know I need something a bit off road capable as the forest roads and blm roads/trails aren't always in the best of shape and this is where I will be spending a fair amount of time as its free, but I also plan to do a fair amount of the N.P. and being as off the grid in general as much as possible .....

what I wanna know is what type of trailer you chose and why you chose that type doesn't matter if your living out of like what I wanna do or if you just pull it out once a yr for some off road travels .. doesn't matter if it is a fully loaded and bought or if you happened to make it yourself and outfitted how you wanted it to be ... show some shots of it , give some details on weight and how it is outfitted , options you picked and why , tanks size , solar , no solar (already know I will have solar no matter what I wind up in)..... how well it pulls , affect on your mpg ( ya I know its gonna go in the toilet if its a full travel trailer ) ....... but just think of all the questions you had in your head when ya got to looking at different options and till you found what ya wanted ... that's where I'm at right now ..

black pearl

Hooked
I ended up with a 1963 aristocratic. I rolled the axel, gave it about 5" of lift. 10 gal gravity water tank, I also carry water to refill the tank. It has 110 plug in, but I have a full solar power system in it as well. Fuel mileage goes to shit. Here is a shot of it next to loon lake IMG_3646.jpg

Edit: this shot is before I rolled the axel, for the lift. I bottomed it out getting out of this spot. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
I ended up with a 1963 aristocratic. I rolled the axel, gave it about 5" of lift. 10 gal gravity water tank, I also carry water to refill the tank. It has 110 plug in, but I have a full solar power system in it as well. Fuel mileage goes to shit. Here is a shot of it next to loon lake View attachment 268998

thanks man , not a bad looking little trailer ... am looking at everything like I said but I also know that most times we will set up a base camp and run trails from there but I also know I want to do things like WABR that a bit long in order to do that ..

black pearl

Hooked
thanks man , not a bad looking little trailer ... am looking at everything like I said but I also know that most times we will set up a base camp and run trails from there but I also know I want to do things like WABR that a bit long in order to do that ..

Yeah mine is definitely a base camp set up. I was really surprised how well it handles dirt roads/fire trails though. [emoji23] I'll be building one for the rocks/over landing here soon I hope.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
understand that ... and that's most of the sort of thing I do now ... i'll base out from somewhere and run from there while i'm in the area , but I know things like WABR ,Mojave road it would be simpler to just pull it on down instead of backtracking and needing to get it afterwards ...so being able to get it off road is a bit of a must for what I'm looking at ... but at same time I wont rule out something that isn't as capable as I might wish it was if it seems like the right option for me and my budget which at the moment is a bit open ended as I know I'm still a few yrs from doing this ...

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
So, as of right now, I'd say skip the Forest River R-Pod. It's cool and all, but too much stuff is F'd up, for it to be a brand new trailer.
IMG_9807.jpg

Last edited:

North208jeeper

I'm currently rocking a fully restored 84 Coleman pop up. Killer deal on it so couldn't refuse drove 318 miles one way to pick it up. Holds 10 Gallons of water and I bring extra to refill. Easy on the fuel mileage as well. Unloaded it only weighs 940lbs opens up to 19ft 8 inches only paid $600 for it

IMG_20170718_143748819.jpg

01212_kuoO8zrNU41_600x450.jpg

00p0p_f0hDWMQmuZC_600x450.jpg

00808_kWlsFh91ovq_600x450.jpg

08 jk unlimited

, flat fenders, rugged ridge xhd bumper,tuff stuff 12,500lb winch,35x12.5x17 Toyo at2s 6speed superchips equipped.

XJADDICTION

Banned
I'm currently rocking a fully restored 84 Coleman pop up. Killer deal on it so couldn't refuse drove 318 miles one way to pick it up. Holds 10 Gallons of water and I bring extra to refill. Easy on the fuel mileage as well. Unloaded it only weighs 940lbs opens up to 19ft 8 inches only paid $600 for it

View attachment 269031

View attachment 269027

View attachment 269029

View attachment 269030

08 jk unlimited

, flat fenders, rugged ridge xhd bumper,tuff stuff 12,500lb winch,35x12.5x17 Toyo at2s 6speed superchips equipped.

Nice!

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
So, as of right now, I'd say skip the Forest River R-Pod. It's cool and all, but too much stuff is F'd up, for it to be a brand new trailer.
View attachment 269042

had actually went and looked at one liked it but didn't like it , the inside had a decent layout for myself , but didn't care for the way the added extra room attached nor the pita it looks like it would be to put it up.. for that I would rather just a awning , granted I may not use it all the time but I still want the option of doing so if I want the shade ........

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug

View attachment 269031

08 jk unlimited

indeed a good deal congrats on finding that for sure .... my grandfolks had one we used to go camping in when I was younger , didn't matter if they came or not as my mother would borrow it from them all the time , we were one of those families you see in sights with a trailer then a few tents as well when we all went there was just that many of us , grown ups got the pop up and kids were all out in tents ... I suppose between that and growing up doing all the moving about due to being a military brat is where my wanderlust comes from more than anything .......

I am looking at some of the newer hard aframe type pop ups as I like the style and can see in my mind the things I do want to add onto it such as solar and a rack to haul a canoe .. the best ive seen though for pop ups suspension wise is the baja version which also has a bit of a deck on the front for cargo ....................... I like that they are lightweight and pretty easy to tow about , dislike needs a good bit of work to make it more off road capable ...

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
that hot tub must kill the battery power pretty quick , unless you got a big ole genny running it :cheesy:.................. and I've seen it on several threads I actually like the set up especially the batwing awning ........

JDDK

Crap, I dont have any pics to upload from my phone yet. I just bought a 97 Jayco 7x12 popup that was lifted 8 inches for slightly larger tires and clearance. Wife was bent cuz I bought it w/o full approval but she found the "popup princess" site from pinterest and it became a remodel project- totally won her over by dressing it up inside. Anyways, i will find pics or take some because it came out sweet. I refaced cabinets, new hardware, painted everything white, fabbed all new countertops out of walnut, and she and my 12yr old daughter sewed up new covers for the cushions.
we took it up to Sequoia for July4th and it was great. Wife and kids love the trailer!
I have been modding it and fiddling with it since the first day...

Top Bottom