Maintenance Advice

Jeep Reloaded

I need an oil change in the near term so I'll go to my dealer (cheapest - without doing it myself). Typically they give me a hard time about having the fluid changed in the differentials.

I'm at 51K in my 2014 JK Sport. I had a CJ5 V8 in my youth but my days of driving off cliffs, blasting through mud holes, and rolling it on the beach are long gone. Now I hit the deer lease a few times each year and will probably do some intermediate trail riding - but in general I rarely put it in 4WD. It was a daily driver but now it's a weekend fun Jeep for an old campaigner.

Anyway, how necessary is the differential fluid change considering my driving history? The old CJ seemed indestructible (except for axles, which the V8 chewed through with abandon). This JK seems a little weak but I don't want to spend the money if it's just a dealer moneymaker.

Also, any other routine maintenance I need to worry about?

Thanks - great site!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I need an oil change in the near term so I'll go to my dealer (cheapest - without doing it myself). Typically they give me a hard time about having the fluid changed in the differentials.

I'm at 51K in my 2014 JK Sport. I had a CJ5 V8 in my youth but my days of driving off cliffs, blasting through mud holes, and rolling it on the beach are long gone. Now I hit the deer lease a few times each year and will probably do some intermediate trail riding - but in general I rarely put it in 4WD. It was a daily driver but now it's a weekend fun Jeep for an old campaigner.

Anyway, how necessary is the differential fluid change considering my driving history? The old CJ seemed indestructible (except for axles, which the V8 chewed through with abandon). This JK seems a little weak but I don't want to spend the money if it's just a dealer moneymaker.

Also, any other routine maintenance I need to worry about?

Thanks - great site!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Diff fluid change should be done every 30k under light driving conditions and every 15k miles for hard driving. This is even easy to do by yourself. I will give you the write up shortly

FallonJeeper

And please, if you don't actually record your 4wd time, it makes sense to simply change the fluid up front. It's just oil, no filter and you will also know the fluid was changed at the same time as the rear.

None of that "trying to remember when I changed the fluid in the front diff".

I call that cheap insurance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jeep Reloaded

Good advice - thanks everyone.

Howdy from Texas!
'76 CJ-5 V8 Renegade (grey Levi's), retired.
'14 JK Sport 2DR (Black), weekend fun.

jeeeep

Hooked
what everyone said x2 - even though you don't wheel much it's still in use with the way the design is.

Cheap insurance and easy to do, even for and old fat guy like me :thumb:

JeepFan

Hooked
Diff fluid change should be done every 30k under light driving conditions and every 15k miles for hard driving. This is even easy to do by yourself. I will give you the write up shortly

And if you're like me, every other oil change! (Basically about every 8,000 miles) :crazyeyes:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
And if you're like me, every other oil change! (Basically about every 8,000 miles) :crazyeyes:

Lol! Yes mine is just as close together if not closer due to all the water crossings we do at Rausch creek. Gotta get that nasty water off of knuckles completely ;)

WJCO

Meme King

Lol! Yes mine is just as close together if not closer due to all the water crossings we do at Rausch creek. Gotta get that nasty water off of knuckles completely ;)

I do mine way too often as well. I'm hoping this new ARB breather kit will prevent it from being changed as often. Brute told me about it, he swears about it.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Differential-Breather-Kit-170112-P22783.aspx

North208jeeper

Yeah diffs are simple took me about 10 minutes to change front and rear yesterday the longest part is just waiting for it to drain I use the cheap 75-90 from Wal mart because I change it every oil change since I tow often or am wheeling often. It cost about $17 per change to do the front and back. Pretty cheap considering a dealer will want way more. I'd rather change my diffs once or twice a month the entire year than pay a dealer to do it once. It ends up costing me the same for the entire year as if I had the dealer do it once a year

08 jk unlimited

, flat fenders, rugged ridge xhd bumper,tuff stuff 12,500lb winch,35x12.5x17 Toyo at2s 6speed superchips equipped.

Top Bottom