Disenchanted with 4WP

Killjoy

I went in looking at Winches. The counter guy immediately suggested Warn's most expensive winch. Then he told me that it won't fit on my 10th Anniversary Bumper (which is designed to fit a winch by the way) and went on to suggest Warn's most expensive bumper. He wasn't even very willing to discuss other options with me, and then he disappeared.
The store in Oakland doesn't have much in the way of displays to be seen.
Oh, he did give me one of their catalogs. But their web site has a ton more selection. But nobody to answer questions.

So I'm looking for a winch. In order to use my 10th Anniversary bumper, I will need a winch plate, and a fairlead hawse (I'm looking to go synthetic). Since I'm also looking to eventually flat tow, and I can't do that with the existing bumper, I guess I'm looking for a bumper too. Why put money into a bumper that will not suit all my purposes? And why do it twice? Here's the rub. The Warn bumper the salesman suggested, is not rated for flat towing (according to the Warn web site).
Since I'm going that route, I want to replace the rear bumper as well. One with a swing out tire carrier so I can add a rack and Jerry cans. The Warn tire carrier attaches to your tailgate. Again, the guy at 4WP was no help in this category either.

The Warn Elite front bumper. As you can see on the Warn page, it's not rated for flat towing.
https://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/warn_elite_series_front_bumper.jsp
Decisions, decisions.

J

JKDream

I went in looking at Winches. The counter guy immediately suggested Warn's most expensive winch. Then he told me that it won't fit on my 10th Anniversary Bumper (which is designed to fit a winch by the way) and went on to suggest Warn's most expensive bumper. He wasn't even very willing to discuss other options with me, and then he disappeared.
The store in Oakland doesn't have much in the way of displays to be seen.
Oh, he did give me one of their catalogs. But their web site has a ton more selection. But nobody to answer questions.

So I'm looking for a winch. In order to use my 10th Anniversary bumper, I will need a winch plate, and a fairlead hawse (I'm looking to go synthetic). Since I'm also looking to eventually flat tow, and I can't do that with the existing bumper, I guess I'm looking for a bumper too. Why put money into a bumper that will not suit all my purposes? And why do it twice? Here's the rub. The Warn bumper the salesman suggested, is not rated for flat towing (according to the Warn web site).
Since I'm going that route, I want to replace the rear bumper as well. One with a swing out tire carrier so I can add a rack and Jerry cans. The Warn tire carrier attaches to your tailgate. Again, the guy at 4WP was no help in this category either.

The Warn Elite front bumper. As you can see on the Warn page, it's not rated for flat towing.
https://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/warn_elite_series_front_bumper.jsp
Decisions, decisions.
Sorry to hear about your 4wp experience. I personally avoid that place like the plague. I believe you can flat tow with a hookup to your crash bar under the front bumper. So any bumper that doesn't require it to be cut off should work just fine. Or in your case, you may not need one. I believe Blue Ox makes a kit for Wranglers that mounts per above.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

4WP leaves a lot to be desired. I'd go ahead and do a bumper and winch combo. Maybe some guys here with some flat tow experience will chime in!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King

Moochie

I flat tow mine and use Roadmaster brackets that have nothing to do with the bumper. I have an LOD front bumper. The brackets had to be slightly modified by a welding shop. Originally installed with my OEM bumper back in 2008.

Robertcrav

You can fit a Warn ZEON in the Hard Rock Bumper....sorry you got a rep that isn't knowledgeable.
You can run the rear bumper with an AEV tire carrier that is frame mounted (thru round plug in rear bumper) (not available 4wp/Transamerican tho)

Maximus 3 is a company (not a 4wp/Transamerican Vendor) that makes one that works
IMG_0999.jpg
IMG_1001.jpg

And as someone else stated, there are tow bars that can attach to the d-ring mounts, and I've seen some evidence that it's possible with a Rock Hard bumper.
rockhardbumperflattow.jpg

Robertcrav

Sorry, here are the pics for the Blue OX d-ring adapters, this guy towed across the country behind an RV... and thats a Smittybilt Bumper...

blueoxtowbrackets.jpg
blueoxtowbrackets2.jpg

Killjoy

Thanks for all the input folks.
Funny thing, I went back to 4WP (just got home in fact) and I mentioned to the same guy that the winch he suggested, WILL fit my bumper. He said "Oh yeah. It will." Which just tells me he only wants as much of my money as he can get.
They're moving to a better location in Oakland in two weeks. I guess they need to pay their rent.

BaddestCross

4WP is like the Home Depot of parts houses... If you know what you want, go ahead and order it. If you have questions or need actual advice, don't waste your time.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Killjoy

4WP is like the Home Depot of parts houses... If you know what you want, go ahead and order it. If you have questions or need actual advice, don't waste your time.

Funny thing is, a neighbor of mine has a Rubicon Hard Rock. He swears by 4WP in Oakland. I'm swearing at them.

WJCO

Meme King
It's hit or miss with them from my experience. Had some good experiences and had some really crappy experiences too.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Never had a problem until last time I was in Vegas and made an appointment three weeks prior to have my inner axle seals replaced. Had them look up my build on the axle from Phoenix, informed them they needed 35 spline shaft seals, said they would have them order it.

Dropped it off while I was there (a Thursday) they had it all day and got a call later on saying they didn't realize it had 35 spline shafts and they would have to order them. Said they'd be there next day and drop it off. Go and drop it off and asked them if they had the seals and guy walks back and says they do. Once again got a call and said the seals showed up at 5 and they'll have to work on it the next day, (Saturday) the day I was suppose to be heading back home. Didn't help the guy I talked to was the guy that said he would have the seal and tried telling me it's a long process. Very aware of how long it takes. Just the fact you guys beat around the bush and lied and I didn't have my jeep for three days on vacation.. other than that. No problems.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
I have the AEV bumpers. Blue Oz makes a base plate that mounts to the recover point of the bumper with 4 bolts and can be removed when off road to prevent damage to the base plate part # BX1133 IMG_1976.JPG IMG_1977.JPG
I have flat towed my Jeep a few thousand Km's now without issue

Top Bottom