Steering Box Adjustment

J

JKDream

I've been trying to track down a dead spot in my steering for awhile.
I assumed it was the tie rod, but after picking up a new one last week it still persists.
I can move the wheel probably two inches either way before it starts to pickup anything.
I know I don't have any worn components, because literally everything is brand new as of the last ~two months.
Coming to the conclusion that my steering box is just getting some wear from no hydro and 37's.
With that said, have any of you tried adjusting the preload on JK boxes?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, I would NOT recommend adjusting your steering box. For one, it is most likely NOT in need of adjusting, for two, adjusting it will most likely give you a stiff feel in the steering and three, you'll probably end up ruining the box.

WJCO

Meme King
How many miles on the jeep? And when did this start exactly? Before or after your axle swap?

Also a fairly easy way to isolate the box is to disconnect the upper drag link from the pitman arm, then have someone turn the wheel while you watch the input and output of the box.

One more thing, when I did my ProRock, my steering was way different afterwards, not bad or good, just something I had to get used to. It didn't have the symptom you're describing though. At highway speeds, you should have about 3/4" steering wheel play before your Jeep's tires react to turning.

J

JKDream

I havent done this to my jk but everyone i know that has done this (two people with TJs) ended with a trashed steering box.

Sent from my LG-D855 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah I've heard that it wears out the gears faster if you change the adjustment. I think it might be on its way out to be honest.

Is this a problem that has became worse over time?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I'd say yes, when I first bought it the steering was tight. But it's been quite abused since then :crazyeyes:

As mentioned, I would NOT recommend adjusting your steering box. For one, it is most likely NOT in need of adjusting, for two, adjusting it will most likely give you a stiff feel in the steering and three, you'll probably end up ruining the box.

Thanks for the heads up, honestly it might just be getting worn at this point. Being bound up on the rocks and hopping the tires to get them to turn probably hasn't helped.
Might just better to just wait for my PSC box to show up.

How many miles on the jeep? And when did this start exactly? Before or after your axle swap?

Also a fairly easy way to isolate the box is to disconnect the upper drag link from the pitman arm, then have someone turn the wheel while you watch the input and output of the box.

One more thing, when I did my ProRock, my steering was way different afterwards, not bad or good, just something I had to get used to. It didn't have the symptom you're describing though. At highway speeds, you should have about 3/4" steering wheel play before your Jeep's tires react to turning.

50,000. It's always had a bit of play dating back to when I had my Dana 30. I always just chalked it up to sidewall flex.
It's gotten progressively worse however, it's pretty tight at normal speeds, but highway there's about a two inch dead spot to either direction.
Running 6 degrees caster, 4 degrees pinion. Definitely felt different after the Prorock haha, it actually tracks straight now.
Don't need to do the steering wheel dance on the highway to keep it in a lane.
Good idea on the pitman arm, I'll check that out today. I have a new PSC box on order anyhow, but it's about 2 months out.

Top Bottom