Dana 30 beefed up or Dana 44.

Brady

I'm at a point where I'm looking into either buying a Dana 44 housing and building a new axle or use the Dana 30 axle that is under it and just sleeving, trussing, up grade shafts, and locker. There is a obvious price difference. I was just wondering if a Dana 30 beefed up would even compare. Is it worth the time and money? Will it hold up until I feel ready to Dana 60 the whole thing? Can you put a Dana 30 59% stronger under the same abuse as a Dana 44?

What tires size are you on now, and what's your end goal for tires? What kind of wheeling do you do?

I've read many threads here, no personal experience, I'm sure those experts here with real word experience will chime in.

My sense would be to run what you have, and save you cash for a Dynatrac upgrade of your choice.

The are some good threads here with guys and gals that know their stuff...do a quick search.
Good luck with your build.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
59% stronger? Where do you get that number from?

Sleeving, trussing, locker, shafts and all that is a waste on a D30. Hell putting sleeves and trusses on a D44 is a waste. It won't do shit. Use what you have until you can upgrade to a quality aftermarket housing or axle assembly.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
59% stronger? Where do you get that number from?

Sleeving, trussing, locker, shafts and all that is a waste on a D30. Hell putting sleeves and trusses on a D44 is a waste. It won't do shit. Use what you have until you can upgrade to a quality aftermarket housing or axle assembly.

This ^^^^

You can throw all the money in the world at a Dana 30 housing but it won't change the fact that the ring and pinion is so small or that the axle shafts will still be weak. In the end, a bent housing won't leave you stranded on the trail.

Sudz

I must be doing something wrong. My dana turdy on 35's seems to be holding up after all these years.
Spicer and aftermarket axle u-joints on the other hand were a different story. :doh:

Top Bottom