gearing and cost

wanderer

I am thinking that I may end up keeping my old 08 rubi unlimited, it is paid for and does have the unlimited drive train warranty. But to get more power out it I would go up a step or 2 in gears either 488 or 513. I am running 315 70 17 tires now/ with the stock 410s and it is my daily driver which I drive on the l California race way otherwise known as the 5 freeway. I don't want to be revving so high that the noise bugs me and I would have the dealer install them so as to not void the warranty .

I know it would help with towing.

How much do you guys notice the extra revs?

What is a ballpark cost on a dealer install?

4:88 vs 513 which ones?

jonathanbottoms

Don't know about a "dealer installed" price, but I've gotten several quotes lately for my '14 JK that all seem to average $1600 with parts and labor for Yukon Gears and master install kits. I bout 5.13s for my automatic '11 Rubicon on 35's, but sold it before having them installed. Sorry I can't help you as far as the extra revs 😂 good luck!

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I am thinking that I may end up keeping my old 08 rubi unlimited, it is paid for and does have the unlimited drive train warranty. But to get more power out it I would go up a step or 2 in gears either 488 or 513. I am running 315 70 17 tires now/ with the stock 410s and it is my daily driver which I drive on the l California race way otherwise known as the 5 freeway. I don't want to be revving so high that the noise bugs me and I would have the dealer install them so as to not void the warranty .

I know it would help with towing.

How much do you guys notice the extra revs?

What is a ballpark cost on a dealer install?

4:88 vs 513 which ones?

5:13's and 37's on a 2013. I don't really notice it, our speed limits are a bit lower than yours however.
I also have a different exhaust setup which is a bit louder as well.
For your 3.8 it would probably be even less noticeable because of the transmission gearing.

Not sure about a dealer install, quite frankly I wouldn't want them installing my gearing.
I wouldn't pay more than ~$1500 though.

I'd go 5:13 on the 3.8 if you have an auto.
4:88 if you have a manual.

RocknJK

5:38 on 37" on a 3.8L. I do about 80 at about 2500rpm crusing on the freeway.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Are you happy with the 5:38's? I'm running 37's with the 3.8L also. I know a few people running 5:13's. one has 35's and is happy with it. The other was running 37's but wishes he went with 5:38's. I've also heard not to get 5:38 because size of the gear makes them weak. So I'm torn I want the 5:38 for the better drive ability but not sure if it's the best decision.

kawimoto

the 3.8 needs as low a gear possible to get any kind of "power" back. My dads 08 has 5.13s and sits on 37x13.50 stt pros and still with the throttle buried at 65mph creeps up in mph. the power is lackluster at best. but as mentioned, I would not recommend going 5.38 on any 44 housing as it'll leave you with a vulnerable pinion gear that will fail. just a matter of when. as far as revs go its miniscule compared to stock and youll need every bit of gearing advantage you can afford to safely utilize

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I agree with Kawimoto. I have an 07 JKU and 5.13 gears. It's not going to win any races but it gets the job done. I did not go with 5.38 for the reason kawimoto mentioned. As far as price for regearing goes, it can range from $1000 to $1600+. Off-road evolution had a $1000 regear special for the longest time but I don't know if that's still going. I imagine the dealership would be much closer to the $1600 or more.

papa11

I had mine changed to 5.38 it ran me just under 2500, Yukon gears. I have 40's and before the change it was basically a 3 speed now I can use all 6 gears

TXJeepGuy

I did Yukon 4:56 and was just shy of 2000 parts and labor. Running 315/70r17s and it handles those great. Very responsive. No offroading in them yet. There is a noticeable 'Whine' now on deceleration and depending on which gear it is in when you let off it can fall flat on it's face.

TormentedCrawler

Are you happy with the 5:38's? I'm running 37's with the 3.8L also. I know a few people running 5:13's. one has 35's and is happy with it. The other was running 37's but wishes he went with 5:38's. I've also heard not to get 5:38 because size of the gear makes them weak. So I'm torn I want the 5:38 for the better drive ability but not sure if it's the best decision.

I'm extremely happy with the 5:38s they were recommended by revolution gears as well

Top Bottom