TMR Customs Delrin Hinge Bushings/Liners Install

WJCO

Meme King
This is a pretty easy install. Took me about two minutes per door, minus taking photos.

What you'll need:

TMR Customs Delrin Liners.
A flathead screwdriver or equivalent punch.
A Hammer.
A punch or deep socket that is slightly smaller than the door's hinge bores (not the liner bore).
Sandpaper/pipe cleaner/small bore brush: Something to clean out the hinge bores and door pins.

Installation:

Remove doors. Using a hammer and flathead screwdriver, punch the OEM lip of the liner into the middle of the hinge bores.

0722171933.jpg

Go around all edges until there is no more lip sitting on top of the hinge bores. When done, it should look like this:

0722171933a.jpg

Use a socket or punch that fits inside the hinge bores slightly loose, but that will push the OEM liner through the bore and out through the bottom.Using a hammer, hit the socket and punch the liner down and out through the bottom.

0722171934.jpg

Here's the old OEM liner:

0722171935a.jpg

Use a pipe cleaner, brush, or sandpaper to clean out the hinge bores.

0722171936.jpg

Here's the bore without the liner:

0722171935.jpg

I went ahead and put some brake caliper grease on the new TMR liner, but I'm not sure this is necessary.

IMG_20170722_200529_317.jpg

Push the new TMR liner into the hinge bores. No tools are needed here. If it's not going in, clean the hole again. It should press in with light hand pressure.

IMG_20170722_200548_278.jpg

Here's the final product:

IMG_20170722_200458_169.jpg

Then repeat the other liners on all of your doors. Then clean the door pins with either a sanding block or sand paper until they're clean.

0722171938.jpg

Reinstall all doors.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
We have 4 door and 2 door sets WITH the install tool. They are awesome, aren't they!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I literally ordered these from TMR direct ....TWO days before I found out you had them! I felt like an asshat. I would much rather have ordered them from you. And TMR did not include an install tool. So hopefully others will see this post and order from you guys.

These are 100% necessary if you live in rust prone areas!

I hope they work out well. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

WJCO

Meme King
Just a follow up on this. After installing all liners, I installed the rear doors, but hadn't had a chance to get the front ones on. Well the LF was a major PITA to get on. I spent well over an hour trying to figure it out, it just kept binding. I decided to eventually pull both of the new TMR inserts and inspect them. Well come to find out, one of the was bored smaller than the other and wouldn't even fit over the door male pin whereas the other one slipped on very easily. I attempted to drill out the smaller one and it just shattered :grayno:

So I contacted TMR late last night. This morning I had an email from them with apologies, no arguing, no hassle, and they are not only sending me a new one, but an extra one as well. :D Not only do they make a good product, but they have good service as well. It was very comforting knowing they took care of this right away.

Just a follow up on this. After installing all liners, I installed the rear doors, but hadn't had a chance to get the front ones on. Well the LF was a major PITA to get on. I spent well over an hour trying to figure it out, it just kept binding. I decided to eventually pull both of the new TMR inserts and inspect them. Well come to find out, one of the was bored smaller than the other and wouldn't even fit over the door male pin whereas the other one slipped on very easily. I attempted to drill out the smaller one and it just shattered :grayno:

So I contacted TMR late last night. This morning I had an email from them with apologies, no arguing, no hassle, and they are not only sending me a new one, but an extra one as well. :D Not only do they make a good product, but they have good service as well. It was very comforting knowing they took care of this right away.

That's awesome!!!! Glad they took care of you!

JudeinPa

WJCO, I have 2 questions:
1. Would it be easier to just knock out the pin bushing from the bottom up instead of top down?
2. Did you have to adjust the door hinges after the install?

This is going to be my next project.

Thanks,

Jude

WJCO

Meme King
WJCO, I have 2 questions:
1. Would it be easier to just knock out the pin bushing from the bottom up instead of top down?
2. Did you have to adjust the door hinges after the install?

This is going to be my next project.

Thanks,

Jude

1) If the tool is included, I would say use it. I didn't have the tool so I just used the screwdriver and socket method. I can't imagine removing them upward would be any more time-consuming. It was fast.
2) No need to adjust the hinges.

We've had the doors on and off a few times since, amazing difference.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Random comment...

Good idea on adding the brake grease, you should add something to prevent the bare steel that you sanded from rusting. The lube does nothing to the delrin as it is pretty much inert, and the delrin will lubricate the door pins when they open, but water will wick between the insert and the hinge and could cause rust, which could deform the insert after a while and make it perform poorly again. So best to have some sort of protection in there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

Those guys have very good customer service. I just spoke with Tim yesterday about their steering links, I might be picking up a set at the end of this month.

WJCO

Meme King
Random comment...

Good idea on adding the brake grease, you should add something to prevent the bare steel that you sanded from rusting. The lube does nothing to the delrin as it is pretty much inert, and the delrin will lubricate the door pins when they open, but water will wick between the insert and the hinge and could cause rust, which could deform the insert after a while and make it perform poorly again. So best to have some sort of protection in there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Not a bad idea. :thumb:

Wethy

Glad to hear about TMR taking care of you ive dealt with Tim and Mike both a couple times. their shop is only a couple hours away and they are stand up guys and awesome to deal with.

JudeinPa

WJCO, Thanks again! I purchased a set of the delrin hinge bushings and hope to get them installed within a few weeks. This week we are headed down to Jeep Week in Ocean City, MD. and I know I won't get a chance to install them until I get back.

WJCO

Meme King
WJCO, Thanks again! I purchased a set of the delrin hinge bushings and hope to get them installed within a few weeks. This week we are headed down to Jeep Week in Ocean City, MD. and I know I won't get a chance to install them until I get back.

Glad to help. Also, if you get the tool with them, Strike Force Zebra has a YouTube video on how to do it that way too. Good luck.

JudeinPa

WJCO, just wanted to let you know that your method worked the best when removing the old bushings. Tried the tool from the bottom up and the first bushing came right out. The bottom bushing on the first door was not so good. Ended up shifting my bottom hinge. Switched to your instructions and had them out in no time! Thanks again. IMG_0571.jpg IMG_0575.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
WJCO, just wanted to let you know that your method worked the best when removing the old bushings. Tried the tool from the bottom up and the first bushing came right out. The bottom bushing on the first door was not so good. Ended up shifting my bottom hinge. Switched to your instructions and had them out in no time! Thanks again. View attachment 275064 View attachment 275065

Glad it worked out for you. Worked fast for us too.

mijku

Did the delrin liners today. I got one out easily with the punch tool but the others not so much. I decided to use the small flat screw driver to break free. I noticed a seem on the liner. I bent the top in and tapped the screw driver down the liner seem to bend inward. The punch tool tapped them out easily after that. 20200607_142417.jpg 20200607_142005.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

mijku

Did the delrin liners today. I got one out easily with the punch tool but the others not so much. I decided to use the small flat screw driver to break free. I noticed a seem on the liner. I bent the top in and tapped the screw driver down the liner seem to bend inward. The punch tool tapped them out easily after that. View attachment 348529 View attachment 348530

Thanks for your write up

Top Bottom