New Waver in Lafayette, IN

Fjen

Hi,
I found this forum trying to find helpful tips on installing the LoD Destroyer rear bumper with tire carrier. We got that wrapped up today. Already had the front bumper on.
Intro tidbits: This is my first Jeep. I came from Toyota before(you all know what that kind of banter is like between owners of different brands). Had an FJ Cruiser that was eventually built up for off-road fun and had a blast with it. Started thinking using a DD for that sort of thing wasn't very practical, especially since we have SxS's to take out. The FJ was traded in for a Tundra to pull around the bigger trailer that ended up being needed for the growing toys. The Tundra Limited was a great, comfortable truck to drive around but a bit big for my taste.

Then I started thinking, why do I drive this big truck around every day when the in-laws have live 5 minutes away and have a truck they don't mind letting us borrow for the 1-2 times a month to pull the trailer to our nearby offroad park and a once a year trip to WV trails? I sure do miss having something I can just hop in and drive to have some weekend fun without messing around with a trailer and when hubby might be busy that weekend...

So, I started looking at Jeeps even though I never thought I'd see that day previously. Hubby has an old YJ he still drives around every day and that one isn't my cup of tea either. I like creature comforts, etc. Lol I had to buy a Rubicon to have the extra off-road capability perks and have nice heated, leather seats. And it's the only one that seemed to have an interior color option other than all black. I'm liking it pretty well overall so far. Except the damned front passenger side door leak. Thus he has been named "Dribbles" and the issue is being addressed with the dealer.

So, very quickly I began putting together my build plan to get it ready for weekend fun. Some of it has already begun and since I'm trying to do so much in the beginning, I'm plotting creative cut-backs in other areas to compensate. Think: Ramen (for a long time)!

Wheels and tires have been ordered, that is really the main goal to get more clearance under the axles. I decided on Toyo Open Country M/T in 285/75/17 with some new wheels. It's a 34" tire that isn't as wide as other options but allows me to trim some weight off that way.
I've also ordered a Metal Cloak Rocksport 3.5" lift and their skid plates.

For bumpers and rock sliders I went with LoD. They are local and allowed me to see what I was getting in person before purchasing since looking through hundreds of web pics gets overwhelming on deciding if the quality and function will be what I'm looking for.

Got an Adam's driveshaft too since supposedly there are rubbing issues with the stock one and exhaust after lifting. Seems like an odd way to engineer something...
I think that covers everything in a nutshell for now. See ya around!

Attachments

• Purchase day FB post.jpg
    Purchase day FB post.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Jeep doors off.jpg
    Jeep doors off.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 2 Jeeps front.jpg
    2 Jeeps front.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Jeep front with Charlie.jpg
    Jeep front with Charlie.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 56
  • drive shaft.jpg
    drive shaft.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Jeep rear 2.jpg
    Jeep rear 2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 54

Fjen

Welcome from Indy! :standing wave:

Hoping to pick up my LoD rock sliders this week.
The older version or new ones? I'm getting the new style that should be ready in another week or 2. They are supposedly easier to install and can lift the whole vehicle with 2 fork trucks on them. The only thing I wish was different is they don't angle toward the vehicle and have ends curve in as much to help glide past a rock like others do. Built well though and should do the job.

HoosierWolf

The older version or new ones? I'm getting the new style that should be ready in another week or 2. They are supposedly easier to install and can lift the whole vehicle with 2 fork trucks on them. The only thing I wish was different is they don't angle toward the vehicle and have ends curve in as much to help glide past a rock like others do. Built well though and should do the job.

I'm getting the older version. I've never seen a strength issue with any LoD product :) The new Destroyer models looks pretty sweet though. I'm leaning towards a signature series shorty for front bumper and a Destroyer for the rear bumper, I like how easy it seems to be to change its set up.

I probably have the slowest build on this site so it will probably be completed some time around our first manned flight to Jupiter.

Fjen

I'm getting the older version. I've never seen a strength issue with any LoD product :) The new Destroyer models looks pretty sweet though. I'm leaning towards a signature series shorty for front bumper and a Destroyer for the rear bumper, I like how easy it seems to be to change its set up.

I probably have the slowest build on this site so it will probably be completed some time around our first manned flight to Jupiter.

Sounds great, they do seem like they put a lot of thought in to what they build. You are probably being smarter than me. I decided to get a "fun" vehicle again and went over-board ordering things that I should take more time with, haha. It's just money, I'll make more right?

Fjen

New wheels and tires came in before lift, barely squeaking by for now!

Attachments

• 0724172105.jpg
    0724172105.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 0724171908.jpg
    0724171908.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 0724172058.jpg
    0724172058.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom