Banged up my Steering Dampener

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Went for a quick detour over some rocks last night and mid way thru was told I was headed towards private property. Oops! I just saw some rocks on the side of the road that looked appealing and gave it try. Needless to say as a good citizen I started to back out. In doing some I believe I caught the steering dampener and either banged it up or bent it. Gonna take it off later today to inspect.

I'm definitely feeling it in the steering and I'm wondering if I damaged anything else. Could damaging the steering dampener cause stiffness in the steering and increase the feeling of wandering in the lane while I'm driving?

My goal is to eventually go with the EVO Enforcer Pro which has the drag link flip kit. I'm wondering if I should have the stabilizer repaired or should I go ahead and upgrade it?

Thoughts?

IMG_5179.jpg

Oh yeah and I think it's time to get diff covers. [emoji12]

IMG_5177.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

Steering stabilizer, tie rod, or both probably got bent. A new stabilizer is cheap and you can get a bracket to relocate it up higher. I went with the Rancho 5000 when I blew mine up. Cheap upgrade.

Is your steering wheel straight? If not, your tie rod probably is bent. Depending on how bad it is, you can just adjust your toe and straighten the steering wheel and be good to go.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

10frank9

Web Wheeler
First off, choose better lines (ask me how I know).

Secondly find an OEM steering stabilizer. People usually give them away. No real need to "upgrade" the stock one works great.

WJCO

Meme King
If stabilizer was hit hard enough, it may be bent inside causing your issue. I would pull it off and recheck your steering symptom.

J

JKDream

If stabilizer was hit hard enough, it may be bent inside causing your issue. I would pull it off and recheck your steering symptom.

x2, looks bent from the photos.
Shock body is on a different angle from the shaft. Most likely binding.
Grab another OEM one, or just grab a cheapo from the 4wd store.
Just don't put a pressurized one in as a replacement.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Yup it's bent pretty good. Steering seems straight but inconsistent. I'm finding myself steering like I'm driving Miss Daisy, a lot of slight left and right adjustments to keep it straight.

J

JKDream

Just remove it all together. All it will do is get in your way and mask steering problems.
While I agree that it does mask symptoms of worn parts, I would still advise running one. Shit happens on the trail, and I'd rather be more diligent in checking my suspension components and finding they're worn that way than an unexpected case of death wobble.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I tried removing it but the bolt washer is pressing up against the tie rod even when I try twisting the tie rod up. Had to leave for work so didn't have time to muscle it out. Is there a trick to getting it out? Tie rod doesn't seem bent

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
While I agree that it does mask symptoms of worn parts, I would still advise running one. Shit happens on the trail, and I'd rather be more diligent in checking my suspension components and finding they're worn that way than an unexpected case of death wobble.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Huh?

You agree that they mask symptoms so by agreeing to that than you would notice issues sooner than later and not have a case of "unexpected" death wobble. But by leaving it on, it will mask symptoms which could cause death wobble.

A proper set up steering and suspension doesn't need one. OP if you want one, find a factory one and get a relocate kit as suggested. Then when you do buy the Enforcer kit, but the drag link flip kit also and put it on.

J

JKDream

Huh?

You agree that they mask symptoms so by agreeing to that than you would notice issues sooner than later and not have a case of "unexpected" death wobble. But by leaving it on, it will mask symptoms which could cause death wobble.

A proper set up steering and suspension doesn't need one. OP if you want one, find a factory one and get a relocate kit as suggested. Then when you do buy the Enforcer kit, but the drag link flip kit also and put it on.

I think you're missing the point.
I'm not denying that you can run without one, I'm just saying I think it's better to avoid death wobble all together by properly maintaining your Jeep. But as I said before, sometimes shit happens.
If I'm out on the trail and hit a stump super hard, and tweak a balljoint, I'd rather have the stabilizer to get home in one piece opposed to death wobbling off the road.
I check my suspension after almost every trip out, as I've had a lot of shit break so far. I could get away without one, but I'd rather have some peace of mind on the road, and know when things are getting worn by frequently checking them.
I don't think finding out you have a worn joint by getting death wobble is a good means of maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I think you're missing the point.
I'm not denying that you can run without one, I'm just saying I think it's better to avoid death wobble all together by properly maintaining your Jeep. But as I said before, sometimes shit happens.
If I'm out on the trail and hit a stump super hard, and tweak a balljoint, I'd rather have the stabilizer to get home in one piece opposed to death wobbling off the road.
I check my suspension after almost every trip out, as I've had a lot of shit break so far. I could get away without one, but I'd rather have some peace of mind on the road, and know when things are getting worn by frequently checking them.
I don't think finding out you have a worn joint by getting death wobble is a good means of maintenance.

Yeah, I've had death wobble. On practically every 4x4 vehicle I've ever owned for one reason or another. Including all 5 wranglers I've had. And if you check your stuff often, you should find loose or worn parts well before death wobble starts. Sure, you could miss something doing your checks. We are all human. But if you have something worn out or loose enough to cause death wobble, you will most likely still feel it with the stabilizer.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
IMG_5146.jpg

Here's mine. Lol. Came down on a rock. The cylinder isn't even attached anymore. Just constantly moves back and forth. I have a new one in the shop, just been lazy on changing it and busy with other stuff. Need to order the Rancho relocate kit also.

aTX427

I suppose, but my guess is that anyone going fast has full hydro or cylinder assist and anyone going slow doesn't need one if the steering is set up correctly. I smashed the one on my '14 the first time out and 100k miles later have yet to look back. There may be an argument for more stress on the steering box as well, but who knows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom