Bed mounted spare or none at all?

aTX427

Is anyone rolling around with a bed mounted spare or none at all when they wheel? I am getting ready to go to 40's and would rather not carry one when I wheel, but will most likely throw a spare in the cab or keep it in the truck. This is partially financially driven and partially to shift weight forward the axle or eliminate 125lbs altogether. I would like to see creative solutions and discuss experiences on the subject.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I'm amazed there are people running 40's who actually have enough space to carry a spare inside their Jeep. Likewise, I can't imagine playing on terrain hard enough to require 40's and do it without a spare. But then, I'm just a mall crawler.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
What happens when you get a flat that can't be repaired and you don't have a spare? Leave your Jeep in the field? I don't understand the no spare roll.

Kyle7R

Knowing that you aren't terribly far away from your truck/trailer and tools, I don't see any reason you couldn't run "spare-less" on the Jeep and just keep the spare with all your other things down at base camp.

Especially if you aren't wheeling alone, any good wheeling buddy would run you back down the trail to grab the spare if absolutely necessary.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Knowing that you aren't terribly far away from your truck/trailer and tools, I don't see any reason you couldn't run "spare-less" on the Jeep and just keep the spare with all your other things down at base camp.

Especially if you aren't wheeling alone, any good wheeling buddy would run you back down the trail to grab the spare if absolutely necessary.

I guess we all have our own idea of what "terribly far away" is. Likewise, not everyone trailers their Jeep if only because it wouldn't make sense to "base camp" being that the ending point of a trail can sometimes be a hundred miles away from where you started. As far as having a buddy go back to grab your spare, this is assuming he has the means or the room to carry the 40" tire that you weren't able to and of course, this is also assuming your rig isn't blocking the trail back to your trailer.

thombull

I don't know about the whole wheeling without a spare tire thinking really, it's like you are planning for failure and having to rely on others. I for one don't want to be, "That guy", the one who is going to hold everyone up because of my being unprepared.

Sent from my QMV7A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kyle7R

I guess we all have our own idea of what "terribly far away" is. Likewise, not everyone trailers their Jeep if only because it wouldn't make sense to "base camp" being that the ending point of a trail can sometimes be a hundred miles away from where you started. As far as having a buddy go back to grab your spare, this is assuming he has the means or the room to carry the 40" tire that you weren't able to and of course, this is also assuming your rig isn't blocking the trail back to your trailer.

All very true, and I like the look of a Jeep with a spare (even if it's a 40 in the back) I just know that he trailered up here when we went out on the trails.

Don't forget having room in the recovery rig for the 3 people its going to take to lift the 40!

aTX427

I typically trailer to wherever I am going, so I'm not usually hundreds if not thousands of miles away like others in the community. I love driving my Jeep out of the state to wheel, because I like the adventure, but my wife can't handle it, so I compromise to keep her happy. Maybe out of ignorance, I don't carry another Jeep worth of spares in my Jeep when I am on the trail. For those who have wheeled with me, I'm the first one with tools or recovery gear when someone has a problem and glad to get my hands dirty if I can help.

My thought was to take a spare regardless. My trips are my yearly vacations, and I wouldn't want to have my vacation cut short because I don't have something as silly as a spare, nor can I rely on finding a 40 in some remote location should I sidewall one. Having said that, I try to bring trip ending spares back at my truck. If I'm with a group, it would make sense to me that we plan out in advance who carries what to maximize the chances that everyone gets out. In other words it doesn't make sense that multiple people carry spare rubi axle shafts and no one carry a steering box. Just an example, but you get the idea.

I constantly think about maximizing efficiency and tend to over build, not because I'm doing the hardest trails out there, but because I want to minimize my chances of breaking. Weight increases stress on all systems and makes it harder to climto and weight outside the axles is even worse. Maybe it's just an engineer OCD thing, or being a cheap assist, but I don't want to spend another $1000 on an upgraded / heavier tire carrier than I already have to move more weight further behind the axle. Not that I won't, I would prefer not to if I don't have to.

Anyway, I hope that adds color to the conversation, so before this thread gets any more off track, let's talk spare in the back of the cab. It may be as simple as it doesn't fit - end of conversation, but I couldn't find a whole lot on the subject last night when I was searching.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I typically trailer to wherever I am going, so I'm not usually hundreds if not thousands of miles away like others in the community. I love driving my Jeep out of the state to do that, but my wife can't handle it, so I compromise to keep her happy. Maybe out of ignorance, I don't carry another Jeep worth of spares in my Jeep when I am on the trail. For those who have wheeled with me, I'm the first one with tools or recovery gear when someone has a problem and the first to get my hands dirty. My thought was to take a spare regardless. My trips are my yearly vacations, and I wouldn't want to have my vacation cut short because I don't have something as silly as a spare, nor can I rely on finding a 40 in some remote location should I sidewall one. Having said that, I would have my spare tire, along with trip ending spares back at my truck and or load a spare in the back if I was by myself or in an area that calls for it. Places like Moab are probably less likely to sidewall than Colorado for instance. Planning who you wheel with is also important. If I'm with a group, it would make sense to me that we plan out in advance who carries what to maximize the chances that everyone gets out. In other words it doesn't make changes sense that multiple people carry spare rubi axle shafts and no one carry a steering box. Just an example, but you get the idea. Maybe it's just an engineer OCD thing, but I have this major weight fobia and constantly think about maximizing efficiency. I also tend to over build, not because I'm constantly doing the hardest trails out there, but because I want to minimize my chances of breaking. Anyway, I hope that adds color to the conversation. I don't have the answers, just thoughts on the matter so let the flames begin. ;)

I'm certainly not in the 40s crowd, nor is that a common tire size around here, however, I would say carry a spare no matter what. Regardless of pre-trip planning, it would suck for everybody if you or someone in the group even had to go back a couple miles to get a spare, nor is there a likelyhood that someone in your group has the same 40 inch tire with similar tread depth that can safely fix the vehicle temporarily. Also, when we had the break on the Coney Flats trail, look at how many Jeeps were blocking the trail that we had to get off. As far as a tire in the back of the Jeep, I think it looks awesome, as far as being practical, not so much. Just my thoughts.

-Guy with a unibody running 33s.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I think excessive industries makes a carrier prerunner style that holds a 40 in the back. I think you'll be compromising in some way or another no matter what you end up doing.

aTX427

I know Jon had one fabled up in his JK as well. Pictures from trick setups are what I'm looking for.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
One thing i will never understand. Some jeepers get a 4 door because they want more room...then they mount their spare inside the rear cargo area. I would not do that or run without a spare.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Robertcrav

Excessive is the only mass produced one I know of
e7663759defe3d9673ded1aabb740226.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

aTX427

...Also, when we had the break on the Coney Flats trail, look at how many Jeeps were blocking the trail that we had to get off. As far as a tire in the back of the Jeep, I think it looks awesome, as far as being practical, not so much. Just my thoughts.

-Guy with a unibody running 33s.

It did make for an interesting and educational day about cylinder assist though.

aTX427

Excessive is the only mass produced one I know of
e7663759defe3d9673ded1aabb740226.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I think I will either find someone interested in buying or trading my Evo Pro Series for the original swing out carrier or just keep the spare on the pro series for now and throw the spare in the back when I wheel. I may have to fab up something, but I'm right now I'm toying around with different ideas on this next stage of my build.

Last edited:
Top Bottom