Bumper Question

Jeep Reloaded

Like most choices on a Jeep the bumper is a mixture of form and function and most of us lean one way or the other. I tend toward function over form, so I have a bumper question.

First my use case. I stay mostly on the roads, with my off road activities confined to sand and intermediate trail riding (scenic over technical). Road some trials back in my biker days so climbing rocks in a Jeep is not something that interests me too much as an old fart. Been through god knows how many metric tons of mud when I had my old CJ; I no longer seek that out either - though I don't avoid it (or occasional rocks) on the trail.

I've been looking at these stubby bumpers and they seem designed primarily for clearance, and I assume rock climbing benefits most. I see advantages in that and weight saving. I like the look of them also.

I'm still leaning toward a full length, upswept bumper because it seems to offer slightly better wheel and linkage protection in general. What are the disadvantages (if any) of a stubby bumper? Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mac

Howdy from Texas!
'76 CJ-5 V8 Renegade (grey Levi's), retired.
'14 JK Sport 2DR (Black), weekend fun.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A stubby will weigh less and allow for significantly greater approach angles. This is exceptionally helpful on the rocks. If you really believe you need more protection but don't necessary want to run a full width bumper, there are plenty of companies that offer a "mid-width" solution.

Ddays

Hooked
LOD makes a really nice Mid-length bumper that is a good compromise between the stubbies & full length versions

LOD.jpg

There are also a lot of other really good mid width bumpers out there.

Jeep Reloaded

Thanks! I will check out the mid width offerings.

Howdy from Texas!

TheGrendel

I think Full Metal Fabworks Midwidth looks pretty freaking sweet. I know a couple of posters are running the FMF Stubby and really like them.

5cd98b_95ed91de9d9e4725abacc58ae8581263.jpg

J

JKDream

I think Full Metal Fabworks Midwidth looks pretty freaking sweet. I know a couple of posters are running the FMF Stubby and really like them.

5cd98b_95ed91de9d9e4725abacc58ae8581263.jpg

That looks really wicked.
The foglight location is a little weird though haha.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

eh... clearly, to each their own. I can't say it does anything for me at all :icon_crazy:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I love mine as well but man, that mid length one is kinda weird looking when comparing the two. :thinking:

I agree the mid width is weird looking, I personally don't like any mid width bumpers. I had a full width AEV that I though I liked very much for about 2 years but there's nothing like a good ol' stubby or body width bumper. They look the best on a Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that stubby looks real nice... just the mid-width is funky to me :icon_crazy:

Here's a shot of the LoD mid-width that I ran briefly.

main.php

main.php

GoldenJK

Took a sawzall to my full width bumper and sure like the stubby look way more, especially if you chop the fenders
IMG_3870.JPG
IMG_5957.JPG

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Here's one by Excessive Industries that's kind of a cross between a mid and stubby with those corners being chopped out -

img-1207_1_orig.jpg

Poison Spyder also makes a mid -

JackRose01-L.jpg

madstiles

I went with full width. Living in Florida we get a lot of rain and it helps catch the water and rocks that gets thrown at the windshield. Haven't had any clearance issues. width 20170423_174104.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jeep Reloaded

I went with full width. Living in Florida we get a lot of rain and it helps catch the water and rocks that gets thrown at the windshield. Haven't had any clearance issues.

After looking and thinking about it for awhile I'm leaning that direction too. The mid-length seems like a compromise, and I do like the protection aspect of the body width.

Howdy from Texas!

Defcon3JKU

You could always look for someone selling their Hardrock bumper. You could have full width around town then swap to a stubby for trail rides. It takes about 5 minutes to install/remove the end caps.
IMG_0574.jpg
No caps
IMG_3970.jpg
Caps

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom