Passenger side Engine Block Leak

Fuzzystig

So, I've had this nasty leak on the passenger side of the block for a while. Everything is covered, from the engine mounts to the front of the block. Oil level seems to be okay, and all the oil seems to be pretty old and not fresh but I don't know. Maybe steering pump? My steering reservoir is bust, with oil all over it and it looks exactly the same. Any ideas what seal I should be looking at? Maybe the pics will help IMG_0590.jpg IMG_0589.jpg IMG_0591.jpg IMG_0592.jpg IMG_0594.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Best advice I can give you is to clean the piss out of it and then keep an eye on it to see if you can spot where it's leaking from

WJCO

Meme King
Agreed with Steve. Clean and recheck. Looks like old seepage more than anything. Hell, someone may have spilled oil during an oil change and left that, hard to say.

Slimebones

Tip: first thoroughly clean with engine degreaser, followed by brake clean, followed by thoroughly drying with compressed air. Now take some baby powder (talcum powder) and blow onto the suspected leak area. You will be amazed at how the leak will appear as it slowly moistens the powder without having the ability to run off and appear as if the leak is elsewhere. I have used this method to locate porosity issues in metal castings where the oil actually seeps through the metal due to poor casting process. Give it a try.

edit: may need a small mirror and a good light to be able to see behind things.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Tip: first thoroughly clean with engine degreaser, followed by brake clean, followed by thoroughly drying with compressed air. Now take some baby powder (talcum powder) and blow onto the suspected leak area. You will be amazed at how the leak will appear as it slowly moistens the powder without having the ability to run off and appear as if the leak is elsewhere. I have used this method to locate porosity issues in metal castings where the oil actually seeps through the metal due to poor casting process. Give it a try.

That's a good idea. Never heard of that. I'll likely try that sometime.

Top Bottom