Cooper ST-Maxx or Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac?

sm31

I posted a thread awhile back asking for opinions on the Grabber AT-2 and the Duratrac... well I have finally found a local dealer with reasonable prices on Cooper tires!

I am looking at a $280 price difference (total) for the Coopers vs. the Duratracs... with the Duratracs being the cheaper option. I am tempted to go with the Duratracs due to the fact that money is a very finite resource in my world but I wanted to ask whether there are any compelling reasons the ST Maxx would be worth the extra coin. To me the 2 tires seem very similar, and even similar in appearance. Does anyone have opinions or first hand experience with these tires in a head to head situation? Thanks!

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I can't say anything about the ST-Maxx as I have never ran them (know people who do, and they like them) but what I can tell you, is the Duratrac's are awesome for daily use. They were a BEAST in the snow/ice, do decent on light trails, etc. I have them on my Toyota Tacoma and love them.

WiscoHR

I run ST Maxx on my wife's 4Runner and before that I ran them on a Tundra. They are a great mix between a A/T and M/T. Also they have the 3ply sidewalls like the STT Pro. I've had nothing but great experiences with them in over 30,000 miles on each vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Eugene the Jeep

I have been running the st/maxx for about a year and they are the best at tire I have ever run. They are very quit on the road and work very well off-road. When I put the top down you can still have a conversation or hear the radio at highway speeds.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

sm31

This is what I was afraid of! They're both great tires!! :)

I'm trying to read between the lines a bit but it sounds like the ST Maxx is a little bit more aggressive than the Duratrac. Also, I've read that the Duratrac has 2 but I don't know whether that is true. I don't anticipate a lot of rough treatment to these sidewalls because the tires will only be on my vehicle while studs are allowed (September thru April). But I will be doing a lot of snow-wheeling, etc. which seems to fit well with the Duratracs.

Wow... looks like I can't make a "bad" choice between the two! Thank you so much for the input!

sm31

Bringing this thread back from the dead for an update.

Last fall I selected the dura-tracs (studded) for my winter tires. Overall, I've been very satisfied with them. Quiet ride, nice wear, etc. However, I did manage to poke a hole in one of them on a busy street coming home from work. It took a half dozen plugs to seal it up.

I know it could have happened with any tire but the fact is it never happened in 7 years on my MTR-K's (not a fan of MTR-K's but they never flatted on me during 6 years in Wyoming, and that IS saying something). I've read "rumors" that while dura-tracs are nice tires, the carcass isn't the strongest. I don't know whether there is any truth to that but my experience makes me wonder.

I'll be selling the TJ this summer, along with the dura-tracs (replaced with a 2011 jkur). And when I buy again it'll be the Coopers.

Top Bottom