Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Highway Overheating

Highway Overheating

Ok Guys I'm just about to give up and save for a V8.
    So my 3.8 is overheating on freeway speeds/ Under load. ESPECIALLY on Hills!!

New -
    5.13 gears
    37 General Grabbers
    Transmission
    Torque Converter
    Mishimoto Radiator
    Radiator hoses
    Water pump
    Thermostat
    Dealer coolant flush and cleaning with new coolant
    Spal high performance fan
    Tranny cooler

-had the jeep tested for head gaskets and chemical test on coolant. No issues

I'm using my Superchips and I'm running 190-210 all day but if I'm going over Hills or steep hills will jump it to 240. Towing my 1900lb camping trailer , JKU did fine except oninclines. 245 . Opened windows and turned on heater and came down to 210 and ran great. But I live in west Texas and it gets to 100+ . When it's heating up , power drops. Is there anything to add to the jeep to have on demand cooling for under load?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by Lmoye22; 07-26-2017 at 04:05 PM.

1900lb dry weight or loaded up with all your gear and people?

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by MTG View Post
    1900lb dry weight or loaded up with all your gear and people?

And what gears/tires are you running?

Also check that there is no mud nor bugs built up on condenser and radiator.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Did you change your tune with the Superchips? If so try returning to stock (other than changes for gearing and tire size).

Also, I have read unfavorable things about Mishimoto radiators. If you have or can get a stock radiator, try that.

Did you change your tune with the Superchips? If so try returning to stock (other than changes for gearing and tire size).

Also, I have read unfavorable things about Mishimoto radiators. If you have or can get a stock radiator, try that.

Nothing but a Thing Overland_stormtrooper's Avatar
    Would try pulling the thermostat sounds to me like ya may have gotten a bad one .. yea i know its new doesnt mean it isnt sticking .. had a tahoe a while back same issue pulled the thermostat even tho had just replaced an put in another one problem solved ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Almost sounds like there is still air in the system. I would suggest trying to burp it again.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Check the system for air and clean the radiator and the air con with low pressure water. I would start from there. Also i would have gone with an oem radiator as i did.

Sent from my LG-D855 using WAYALIFE mobile app

There are a lot of good suggestions. Definitely check for air in the cooling system and remove the tune. How many miles does the engine have and what oil are you running?

Check your oil - is it low, does it look or smell burnt? Low oil levels, pre-ignition and spun bearings will cause excessive heat.

High air temperature and mountainous driving will certainly raise temperatures, but 245* isn't unheard of.

My vette would see 300* regularly in the Texas heat. I just ran very good oil that could handle it without breaking down. If everything checks out, try a Joe Gibbs turbo car oil or Mobil 1 v-twin. Both have exceptionally high temperature ratings.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast