Need help with my TJ!

Jranso04

IMG_0886.jpg IMG_0885.jpg IMG_0887.jpg

My TJ has some rust probably like most but I feel like it's getting bad to the point where I might lose a hinge on my tailgate. The guy I'm going to said it will probably be around $700 to fix it the right way. He has over 30 years experience so I trust him but I'm a college student and don't have much money. I have about $3,000 saved from working this summer and I'm really not sure what I should do so I figured bringing it here some people might be able to help me decide.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

What you need to do is figure out if that's the only rust. What it looks like is that your tailgate hinge has a rust hole under it. What it actually is is the body mount metal right there that supports that back corner of the tub. If that has rusted this far, you should really look at the rest of body mounts. Specifically the three under the doors called the tub channel mount that's normally the first to go. And the rear frame where the axle attaches on the inside. In the mean time open your tailgate a bit and see if you can lift/ lower it or if it's still solid. If it moves and it also loves the sheet metal you'll want to take the spare off it until you decide what to do as the weight will add more stress to it. If that's the only spot it's bad. Repair it and then have the entire underside professionally rustproof and under coated. Especially if you live by salted roads. Photo bucket wrecked all my photos and build thread but I'll see if I can find a couple later so you can see.

Jranso04

Thanks for the help. I'll have to try and check the body mounts and see if it's them or if it's just that spot. I actually got it undercoated last year. I have other little spots too. One on the fender, one on the side panel below the door and one by the hinge under the hood.

Jranso04

I looked at all the body mounts especially the ones you suggested really well and they actually are still in pretty good shape. Before I got it undercoated it was all rust but mostly just surface rust and now looking at the mounts while it's undercoated they still look pretty good.

mntj91

Rust

Any welding experience? Just a thought here but if you put the TJ tailgate kit on you could cut and weld a new piece in. Kill two birds with one stone by covering up the factory hinge holes and repairing your rust at the same time. The bigger the piece you remove and replace (within reason) the easier it would be to blend paint when it comes time for it. Plus you get a tailgate :thumb:

Sorry forgot to post the pictures IMG_0321.jpg IMG_0322.jpg

So most likely the mount itself is where the rust is and up to your tailgate hinge. The support channel you see there goes across to the other side. Mine was too far gone to save but 700 including paint to fix it right not just cutting the skin off and re welding a piece over it might be reasonable.

Heres how far i had to go to save mine, you are no where near this bad though.
The lower bar is what i used to rebuild the entire crossmember.
1ED1020F-906D-43BE-8747-0B4B91B34066_zps0d1fejwr.jpg 14E71671-22B4-4173-9C95-55B6AC278158_zpsze3hnyzw.jpg 38504541-87BC-4F78-8520-91E6574EFC16_zpstm776qal.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom