Air Locker Lines / fittings in cold Temps

desertrunner

I swear i found a thread on this before and now i cant find it again so sorry if this is a duplicate

Is anyone running the stock plastic air lines and stock fittings for ARB lockers in cold climates like Montana?

i have been so torn on whether i want electric or air lockers, leaning towards air but i am worried i am going to end up chasing tons of air leaks after the first winter drops temps to potentially -30. I have been just figuring in the cost of getting stainless steel air lines when i do the install that way i wont have to worry about the lines but i am also wondering if temps that cold is going to cause problems with any of the fittings and O rings etc. I would hate to spend all this money and end up with no lockers because of air leaks.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have never run into a problem with my plastic arb lines in any of the temps I have seen. I think the coldest was 20 below. My rear air line has been on for almost 4 years now and the front is 2 years old with zero issues.

desertrunner

There is tubing on the market that covers all those operating temps, may not be what it comes with but it's out there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app
I figured the SS air lines should cover that issue and they aren't that expensive but maybe I can find some cheaper lines that will cover those temps.
If temp is a concern why not got to somethin like the ox that uses a cable instead ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app
Well for starters the dynatrac trail leader package only comes with ARB haha, and I'm military so the Montana cold stuff is only temporary, not saying I won't end up in another cold place but this should be the coldest.
I have never run into a problem with my plastic arb lines in any of the temps I have seen. I think the coldest was 20 below. My rear air line has been on for almost 4 years now and the front is 2 years old with zero issues.
Sweet good to know the lines should hold up just fine

Still wondering about anything at the fittings though as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I know I started one before I got my Arb. I have yet to switch to an ss line. But crown makes on for the Arb, Arb has theirs and a couple others. They run about 50$+. If I remember correctly most people used 48" for the front. Don't remember for the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

No issues on mine after one winter. What fittings are you referring to?
I'm not 100% knowledgeable on all the fittings that go into setting up air lockers but I'm assuming at the pumpkin and at the compressor there are some rubber O rings that I'm wondering if will have problems in the cold maybe?
I know I started one before I got my Arb. I have yet to switch to an ss line. But crown makes on for the Arb, Arb has theirs and a couple others. They run about 50$+. If I remember correctly most people used 48" for the front. Don't remember for the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Yeah it looks like most the kits I looked into had a 2' front and 12' rear, obviously that depends on axle config and 2dr vs 4dr to set up.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I dont see you having any issues. Coming from the air ride world, and having a few cars on bags with plastic lines, the only issue I ever had from cold was a frozen valve block from some moisture in the lines, which I dont see being an issues with our jeeps at all.

Rottenbelly

Never had problems with mine down to -20 here.
But I also had a blow off/bleeder valve on mine and would blow the lines out after every wheeling trip.

desertrunner

Never had problems with mine down to -20 here.
But I also had a blow off/bleeder valve on mine and would blow the lines out after every wheeling trip.

That is a really good idea! Is that an ARB kit? im assuming the left line comes off the compressor and the bottom 2 lines go to the lockers? is that mounted under your hood with the compressor?

I have been so hesitant to run air lockers due to the potential of air leaks but i want to run 37s and having the option to run 35 spline shafts in the rear with the ARB is a huge bonus. I just want to make sure i cover all my bases when i set it up to minimize having problems later especially since i will be in montana for the next few years and my jeep will be outside through the winter.

Rottenbelly

That is a really good idea! Is that an ARB kit? im assuming the left line comes off the compressor and the bottom 2 lines go to the lockers? is that mounted under your hood with the compressor?

I have been so hesitant to run air lockers due to the potential of air leaks but i want to run 37s and having the option to run 35 spline shafts in the rear with the ARB is a huge bonus. I just want to make sure i cover all my bases when i set it up to minimize having problems later especially since i will be in montana for the next few years and my jeep will be outside through the winter.
I think it was a Arb part. That is under the back above the rear locker.
Line from compressor, one line on left is the line going to locker. The other line is the drain line.
Also helps if you ever have gear oil in the lines.
Would need one for each locker. But now I can't find where I got them from.
Believe they where called line purge valves.

desertrunner

I think it was a Arb part. That is under the back above the rear locker.
Line from compressor, one line on left is the line going to locker. The other line is the drain line.
Also helps if you ever have gear oil in the lines.
Would need one for each locker. But now I can't find where I got them from.
Believe they where called line purge valves.
I'll have to look into that
So each locker has the valve between it and the compressor then a drain line just open at the end like the axle breather tubes?

Rottenbelly

I'll have to look into that
So each locker has the valve between it and the compressor then a drain line just open at the end like the axle breather tubes?

There is a button on the end of the little box. You turn on the compressor and push the button to blow out the line.
I ran the line down to the axle to blow it out. And yes it is open on the end.

desertrunner

There is a button on the end of the little box. You turn on the compressor and push the button to blow out the line.
I ran the line down to the axle to blow it out. And yes it is open on the end.
Sweet thanks for the info I'll have to look into that once I finally pull the trigger with dynatrac

Top Bottom