Light Bar Question

Jeep Reloaded

Ok I went out to my Jeep and got my helmet and raid vest and put them on before asking this question. I see a lot of people hating on the LED light bars.

My first Jeep had a set of KC Daylighters mounted on a flat iron bar, home-made, mounting "system" above the windshield (a windshield, I might add, I could fold down in 3 steps, not 42 or whatever the fuck how many it takes on my JK). At that time an LED (if you could find one that wasn't red) wouldn't have lit up the inside of thimble.

So, when I started looking for lights for the JK I went to KC since it was what I knew. Prices had gone up considerably so I began looking for alternatives that fit my budget.

Found a Chinese LED 52" bar + 2 bonus baby lights and mounts. It was about a hundred bucks, easy to install, and it lights up the fucking world. It doesn't leak, makes very little noise, and hasn't caused any electrical problems (so far). Plus I could replace it cheaply when it inevitably breaks. I hunt in West Texas and wanted it for hitting the lease in the dark.

My question is why does everyone seem to hate these things? Have I made some sort of nouveau, message board era Jeep faux pas - or is there some legit complaint about these bars?

You may fire when ready. [emoji12]

Howdy from Texas!
'76 CJ-5 V8 Renegade (grey Levi's), retired.
'14 JK Sport 2DR (Black), weekend fun.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have read complaints about noise (whistling) while driving and also about leaking and condensation (especially on the less expensive imports). Some people don't like the look. You see a lot of them on spotless poser mall crawlers. They can be too bright for wheeling, crawling at least, if you're with other people. All these issues aside, I could see advantages if you're doing high speed stuff (desert racing). And if you just like the look, I have no problem with that. To each his (or her) own.

black pearl

Hooked
I think if you actually use them, most don't have issues with them. But a lot of "mall crawlers" it's the first mod to look cool. I had four small cubes, on my front bumper and ended up pulling two of them off. Now it fits MY needs just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jeep Reloaded

Ok I think I understand. I don't care about the look, I just want to see when it's dark. I'm usually alone so no worries about blinding anyone else. I didn't mount the cubes because I don't need them facing forward. Thinking about mounting them to the rear for field dressing after dark.

Howdy from Texas!
'76 CJ-5 V8 Renegade (grey Levi's), retired.
'14 JK Sport 2DR (Black), weekend fun.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I agree they put them on to look cool but yes they whistle and build up condensation. But for me I really use my a lot I do a lot of night trails and it comes in handy .

RjSkippy

It's a personal preference thing, I know people that hated the whistling noise, others that didn't have it. I found my pillar cubes and a 12" led bar on the fairlead worked great to get around the dirt roads where I hunt; the 3" cubes in my rear bumper help a lot when trying to navigate around & backing up to the skinning area at camp.

Ktoth87

I use a 50 inch single row. It's a cheap Chinese one that works just fine for my needs. I live in a very wooded area and it's nice having the light. They can be a a little too bright in certain conditions but I found a dimmer set up for led lights that works awesome. As far as the noise goes. I forget the name of the product but it's a spray on insulation/ foam that expands to fill voids. I bought the black one that is used for fish ponds and put that into the vents and let them cure. Trimmed off the excess and sanded down and a coat of spray on bedliner and no noise.

Sahara_Maverick

I have a 40in on mine (widest made at that time) made by Engo. Works great and turns dark trails into daylight. One of the best investments on my Jeep as well as the 7in Trucklight LED headlights.
I never used the Hella Super Rally anymore after installing the light bar. Like the Hellas, cannot use it behind anyone.
It makes that whistle noise and it's almost random based on wind conditions, temperature, etc. It's not loud enough to bother me even with the top open.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
My preference is old school big ass round lights, which I have on two jeeps...however, I put a bar above the windshield of my JK6 since there was no room on my stubby front bumper...and decided against pillar lights to improve visibility

North208jeeper

I can agree lots of people that do use them for looks. I've seen so many lately that aren't even hooked up it's ridiculous. I don't really have anyone to go hit trails with so that's not an issue I use mine so much I'll probably be burning some bulbs out soon. I'm in the woods constantly it's usually the wife and dogs along with me. I love being able to see at night. Definitely just the opinion on the owner of the vehicle I guess. I love mine and I just got all the cheap Amazon ones. Before installing I took the lenses out and siliconed the housings and lenses then put them back together. No leaks or condensation build up. And as far as the whist only my 52" made noise until I put plugs over the ends. No whistle now. I also have a Spod setup that and the lights were the first thing I did to my Jeep when I got it 2 years ago. I love mine no complaints!
IMG_20170726_142011253.jpg

08 jk unlimited

, flat fenders, rugged ridge xhd bumper,tuff stuff 12,500lb winch,35x12.5x17 Toyo at2s 6speed superchips equipped.

J

JKDream

I had a roof mounted 50. Definitely wouldn't run one again. While I was able to fix the whistling which never really bothered me, I couldn't do anything about the wind noise and overall vibrations. You could feel it in the floorboards like a driveline vibration, it drove me crazy. Took me awhile to realize it was the bar but glad I did. I went with a set of trucklites and two pods. More than adequate. I would guess a majority of the hate is due to how blinding they are. I've come around quite a few corners in the bush to a 5737192974 lumen bar that makes me see traces. I don't think anyone needs the light output of a bar that big. Bumper mounted sure, but the roof mount in my opinion is pretty aids.

**Should probably also add the first chinese amazon bar I bought had the threads gave away after a couple of months. I'm assuming the hardware provided wasn't the right size. It proceeded to fall out of the bracket and shatter my front window on a logging road.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely love it. Got the little cubes first when they came down in price $18/ pair. Loved them instantly, I'm kind of redneck and the jeep is often used for more utility things then wheeling. Put the cubes on custom pillar mounts. Then got the bar and will never go back. Then had to get rear. I can't even tell you how often I use it or it comes in handy when you never thought you'd use it. The three times I've used it for wheeling, lit up a forest. But by far the best use is country road driving at night. Saved me from at least 4 deer hits. Plus they use like no power at all.

I will add though all my lights (cheapies) have a pure white light, I've seen some others on friends vehicles that have a bluish hue and I do not like those at all.

Last edited:

aTX427

Great for a razr cruising around the ranch at night, but that is about it.

Last edited:
I had a bar for a year and didn't use it once. It was Chinese and fogged up me stopped working anyways. I now have rigid stacked spots and floods on my a pillars...and take a guess...haven't used them once. I know I will at some point, but not yet.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
My preference is old school big ass round lights, which I have on two jeeps...however, I put a bar above the windshield of my JK6 since there was no room on my stubby front bumper...and decided against pillar lights to improve visibility

Me too. Old school round.

As mentioned before, most people hate on them, because that's the first thing that mall crawlers do. People spend money on lights, and then complain that they can't afford a quality winch or lift.

If you actually use them, and like them, more power to you.

desertrunner

Honestly I had 2 small square rigid industry lights on by the bottom corners of the windshield on my last JK and the only time I ever used them was driving on remote highways in CO it really helped to spot deer far out. The cost of a good light bar is a lot and I think most here would agree that the money can be used more wisely on mods that actually make a difference in off road performance. So often they get looked at as poser mods. If you REALLY need that might light there is nothing wrong with them but they tend to get put on for looks and not really used. I guess it's more of a distaste for the kind of people that put them on their jeeps and not for the light themselves

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Honestly I had 2 small square rigid industry lights on by the bottom corners of the windshield on my last JK and the only time I ever used them was driving on remote highways in CO it really helped to spot deer far out. The cost of a good light bar is a lot and I think most here would agree that the money can be used more wisely on mods that actually make a difference in off road performance. So often they get looked at as poser mods. If you REALLY need that might light there is nothing wrong with them but they tend to get put on for looks and not really used. I guess it's more of a distaste for the kind of people that put them on their jeeps and not for the light themselves

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I also get the most use of additional lights on rural roads to avoid deer...last Easter Jeep Safari in Moab I had deer across the road in front of me almost every night & early morning

Top Bottom