Welcome the newest member of the family

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Well I just bought a jeep about a month ago now and have been having an absolute blast taking it wheeling nearly every other day at the nearby trails. Well apparently this fever that I've caught is contagious as my daughter decided to sell her VW rabbit and get a Jeep as well. She just picked up this Red 2001 TJ We now have two Jeeps in the family.

IMG_5191.jpg
IMG_5192.jpg
IMG_5190.jpg

I've nicknamed it Rust Bucket as it was originally purchased in Oahu, HI so its got a ton of rust in several areas but overall its solid. We got if for a steal because of the rust, and exhaust header leak, and the dreaded death wobble. I've started removing the rust, replaced the header gasket for $15 (estimated at $500 at the mechanic), and will be working thru the death wobble thread to fix that issue next. I may end up just replacing the entire steering system as its pretty old and looks like it's never been serviced.

IMG_5196.jpg

Too much fun! Now I just gotta convince the wife to sell her AUDI and get a Jeep as well!

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Great find!

No need to worry about the old steering and suspension if you are considering pulling all of it and upgrading to a modest size lift [emoji106]

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

John82601

Great find on the TJ! My son experienced death wobble in his XJ a couple of times. I crawled under it and noticed a lot of original parts that each had a hint of play in them. A new trackbar and a couple of tie rod ends later all is well. Pretty inexpensive peace of mind knowing that it's all fresh.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Quick update on Little Red Wagon’s progress.

I’ve been working to stop the spread of rust on the frame. Unfortunately it’s been spreading for so many years, it may need some reinforcement soon. Time to learn how to weld!

IMG_5221.jpg

IMG_5223.jpg

Took a wire wheel to everything, treated it with rust remover, and painted it with rust stop.

Added wheels and tires thanks to Clearskies yesterday. WOW what a difference. It looks like a rock worthy jeep now!

IMG_7339.jpg

IMG_7343.jpg

Daughter couldn’t be happier.

IMG_7350.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I cant remember if I posted this before but I got the steering components updated and took care of the death wobble for the most part. Still need to do the ball joints. Will likely do that when my daughter goes to Africa to study abroad.

IMG_5234.jpg

IMG_5235.jpg

IMG_5244.jpg

IMG_5254.jpg

RockingK

👍👍

That’s awesome dude,
My family is a Jeep family and have been since 1975 when my dear old dad and I built my first car, 1942 Ford GPW. He later bought a 1980 CJ7 that he left to me, my daughter has a 2013 JKUR, and son has a 1969 Jeepster Comando. The memories we have all created over the years are priceless and the most cherished:thumb: enjoy the ride my friend:rock:

Looks to me like most of the frame rust is just surface so hopefully you got it all off and your rust proofing does its job, However it looks like its too late for your body mounts on the tub, the three posts on each side under the doors Also known as the torque boxes, looks like your mounts have already punched through the paper thin metal.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Looks to me like most of the frame rust is just surface so hopefully you got it all off and your rust proofing does its job, However it looks like its too late for your body mounts on the tub, the three posts on each side under the doors Also known as the torque boxes, looks like your mounts have already punched through the paper thin metal.

Yeah it’s been slow going. I can only work on it when she’s home for the summer or spring break. Once she heads off to Africa I’ll have 3 months to work on it so my goal is to finish fixing all the rust inside and out of the frame. Gotta get the engine back together in the CJ5 first so I can work on it in the Garage.

Can you tell I have a Jeep addiction problem yet?

Top Bottom