Steering components rebuild on TJ

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
So I'm looking to replace most of the steering components on my daughter's TJ. I've been looking at the kits from Quadratec. Is the Crown Automotive brand a reliable one or should I be looking elsewhere?

Also I need to replace (or rebuild) the steering box as it leaking like crazy. Hoping to find a rebuilt one for cheap. Any thoughts on how hard it is to replace the seals on this part? I see a seal kit and according to Quadratec its an "advanced" operation.

So I'm looking to replace most of the steering components on my daughter's TJ. I've been looking at the kits from Quadratec. Is the Crown Automotive brand a reliable one or should I be looking elsewhere?

Also I need to replace (or rebuild) the steering box as it leaking like crazy. Hoping to find a rebuilt one for cheap. Any thoughts on how hard it is to replace the seals on this part? I see a seal kit and according to Quadratec its an "advanced" operation.
Ive used crown components, they're pretty much OEM, someone can correct me if im wrong there. As far as the leaking Steering gear, super common, not worth playing with imo, TJ replacement ones are often pretty pricey, however it is the exact same one thats in all ZJ models as well and can be had super cheap that way. There is also a dodge durango gear- maybe only the v8? would have to look it up- that is an "upgrade" piece as its a direct bolt in and is more powerful. Good luck fixing all the rust, I've heard good things about Eastwood Chassis Saver treatment / paint.

John82601

Agreed, Crown is essentially O.E. quality and generally a fine product. Changing out the seals on the steering gear is definitely a viable option if it works fine otherwise. An alternative would be a reman from someone like Rock Auto, $200ish for one.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Project went on without a hitch. I was able to replace the tie rod and drag link with no real issues. The ball joints still need to be replaced along with the steering gear box which is puking oil like crazy but so far so good. I haven't measured the toe-in but she drives straight as an arrow and with no issues.

The packaging from Quadratec left much to be desired but all the parts were there and had no damage.

IMG_5226.JPG

My biggest concern was with all the rust underneath. I soaked all the bolts with PB blaster and let it sit for about an hour. I got pretty lucky and they all came of relatively easy. Love my impact wrench!!

IMG_5232.JPG

IMG_5234.JPG

Reassembly was a piece of cake. I measured as best I could the drag link and tie rod and made the new components match and started putting it all back together.

IMG_5235.JPG

IMG_5237.JPG

All in all is was a relatively easy project. Now onto the ball joints and steering box! After which I may replace the brake drums/rotors as they seem pretty worn and rusted.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Andy5160

Hooked
Project went on without a hitch. I was able to replace the tie rod and drag link with no real issues. The ball joints still need to be replaced along with the steering gear box which is puking oil like crazy but so far so good. I haven't measured the toe-in but she drives straight as an arrow and with no issues.

The packaging from Quadratec left much to be desired but all the parts were there and had no damage.

View attachment 270977

My biggest concern was with all the rust underneath. I soaked all the bolts with PB blaster and let it sit for about an hour. I got pretty lucky and they all came of relatively easy. Love my impact wrench!!

View attachment 270979

View attachment 270980

Reassembly was a piece of cake. I measured as best I could the drag link and tie rod and made the new components match and started putting it all back together.

View attachment 270981

View attachment 270982

All in all is was a relatively easy project. Now onto the ball joints and steering box! After which I may replace the brake drums/rotors as they seem pretty worn and rusted.

Good job and this is one rusty under jeep :) where is it from originally? Does not look CA jeep to me.
Something you would have to address if you plan to keep the jeep.

JKbrick

Just replaced the steering gear on the local barbers TJ, took about an hour. I believe he paid $140 for it at napa

Top Bottom