Elite JK XD60/PR80 or Hardcore PR60/60

aTX427

I'm thinking about changing my order and going with the Elite JK XD60/PR80 instead of the Hardcore PR60/60. When does that upgrade become needed? I only plan on buying axles once and want to make sure I get what I need long term. I primarily play in the rocks, not much into bouncing or desert running. The build is Evo coilover's with 40" Coopers and potentially an LS upgrade and an Evo Lever in the future.

fiend

Caught the Bug
What is the probability of breaking the Pro full floating 60 if no LS?

What are you thinking about breaking? I think the reason to go with the 80 is if you are going (a) to do high speed stuff, which risks bending or breaking the housing, and/or (b) if you're going to swap in a high HP engine (e.g. LS 6.2), which risks breaking a shaft or a ring and pinion, likely due to wheel spin and sudden stop. If you're not going to do either of these things, I would think the 60 combo would be fine, and a whole lot less money. But I'm on a PR44/44 combo with 37s and a stock engine, so I'm only going by what I've read and observed.

aTX427

Depends on the driver I suppose. I personally wouldn't trust myself to run an LS with anything less than a PR80.

I hear you. It's a big jump in price, but somewhat negligible after the fact. I do like the 50* steering and Dynatrac hub upgrade as well.

What are you thinking about breaking?.

I thought I read a post of Eddies where he said the 60 gear set wasn't up to running 40's, but maybe that was the semi-floater with the high pinion. I could be wrong, but was started questioning my decision after reading that. The Hardcore comes with a standard D60 profile low pinion full float called the Pro60.

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
I hear you. It's a big jump in price, but somewhat negligible after the fact. I do like the 50* steering and Dynatrac hub upgrade as well.

I thought I read a post of Eddies where he said the 60 gear set wasn't up to running 40's, but maybe that was the semi-floater with the high pinion. I could be wrong, but was started questioning my decision after reading that. The Hardcore comes with a standard D60 profile low pinion full float called the Pro60.

IMO there's little point in going to a semi float 60. Yes you get the larger ring and pinion (over a 44) and a stronger housing, but the bent flange risk (probability, perhaps) remains. Also the weight of the rig remains on the axle shaft, so putting that together with a high HP engine swap risks axle breakage.

Per Dynatrac, the rings gear sizes are:

PR80 - 11.25
XD60 - 10.1
PR60 - 9.75

The XD is a high pinion, presumably to improve ground clearance. Ordinarily that's a weaker set up than standard cut. Maybe that's why they went to a larger ring gear.

The 80, with the massive ring gear and standard cut (and also larger housing, thicker shafts and pinion, etc), is going to be considerably stronger. Again, the choice for high speed and high HP. It sounds to me like you have your mind set on it, with "need" and "want" merging. Nothing wrong with that. If you have the means, you should get what you want, whether you "need" it or not. That way you will have no regrets.

aTX427

Correct. My understanding is that the Hardcore package comes with the low pinion full floating Dana 60 rear, but I could be wrong.

tgoss

Thanks for the advice. I upgraded to the Elite package with the 5.38 and ARB. Pay once - cry once right?

Correct. I'm not necessarily saying I was crying over ordering a PR80 but all in all I would have liked an XD60 front too. I'll have to live with the current PR60 for a very long while.

Top Bottom