End of Summer - 395 North to Death Valley

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Headed out over the weekend for a little "End of Summer Getaway". Decided to head north up 395 to Mammoth and then back south to Death Valley and home. Below is a quick trip report.

Making a spot to see the desert dwellers.

IMG_0250.jpg

Quick trip into the earth to cool down a bit

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Lots of water flowing from the mountains

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

After working our way a little farther north we hit dirt again

IMG_0291.jpg

Found some snow a little further up

IMG_0300.jpg

And access denied! Too much snow to pass

IMG_0292.jpg

Quick hike up about a 1/4 mile or so and we saw what we came for. The beautiful Laurel Lakes

IMG_0317.jpg

View looking back down the valley

IMG_0288.jpg

We did not end up hiking all the way to the lake and will save that for the next time in a few weeks so we headed back down and made a quick stop at the creek.

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

Quick photo op before heading off the trail

IMG_0284.jpg

Due to not booking a hotel we could not stay in Mammoth or Bishop as planned so we headed back south to Lone Pine. Made a quick stop at Manzanar before hitting the hotel.

IMG_0265.jpg

Day 2 started out with a trip to Manzanar to check out the grounds and the museum.

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

After leaving Manzanar we headed south toward Death Valley. Temps got a little warm down there.

IMG_0325.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Heading down to Death Valley we stopped at Father Crawley Point

IMG_0392.jpg

After a quick 8 mile ride on some dirt we found some sushi

IMG_0391.jpg

Quick stop at Darwin Zinc Prospect

IMG_0331.jpg

Death Valley!

IMG_0390.jpg

From there we headed to the town of Ballarat where we checked out the jail and hotel...?

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

Tex Watson's truck. Manson family member.

IMG_0335.jpg

Headed up Middle Park Canyon to Goldbug Mine

IMG_0326.jpg

From there we cut over Andrew headed down Pleasent Cayon where we saw a long ass

IMG_0332.jpg

Once we hit the main road we headed south to what I thought would take us back to Ridgecrest but I completely forgot about that big ol China Lake Naval Weapons Base that is down there. Needless to say we had to turn around after about 15 miles. Shortly after turning around the TPMS went off. Not sure how this little twig punctured the tire but luckily I had my ARB repair kit.

IMG_0389.jpg

Didn't take anymore pictures after that. Had a blast exploring without a set plan. Most places I had been to before but still cool to check out again.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Very cool! Looks like a great weekend! [emoji106] No invite, that's cool... [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thought you moved to Georgia. [emoji12]

Sweet shots. :thumb:

Sweet pictures, thanks for sharing your trip. I miss living in down there.

thanks for sharing, looks like a great time!

Thanks! It was a nice little getaway.

TRLJNKY

Great trip! That tunnel looked like fun. Manzanar is a a somber reminder of how different mindsets were back than for sure. Really looks like you guys had a good time. Scres tbat heat though lol. Thx for sharing

It's half past f'it with the CAPS lock on!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Great photos and trip write-up! Death Valley looks like an awesome place to explore!

Top Bottom