Backup power supply for Jeep

GraniteCrystal

My neighbor works for a survival company called Survival Frog. He asked me the other day about all the gear I bring when offroading. He then asked me what happens if the battery on my Jeep dies. I had to admit, I didn't really plan for the scenario and felt a little stupid considering all the other gear I've been known to bring (extra windshield wipers anyone?).

So, I'd like to see what people have for jump starting their Jeep in the backcountry.

I'll start us off and, full disclosure, my neighbor hooked me up with this for free. Not tested it repeatedly but I did have the opportunity to do so tonight thanks to a weird issue when wiring up my ARB Compressor that resulted in a dead battery (looking for more insight on that issue in my build thread).

Here is a video of me using this little tool to get it started again. Claims it can be used 20x to jump start a vehicle before needing to be recharged.

https://youtu.be/fW13HSbEL6Y

People have other options they like? Assume having a buddy jump you isn't an option.

WJCO

Meme King
We used to have a jump box in each Jeep. They weren't the best, but they weren't the cheapest either. They can probably only take about three starts before they have to be charged again. But they worked and saved our ass three times. One was about 7 years old and finally took a crap this year. So now we just keep the one we have in whatever Jeep we're taking out.

This is what we have now. Helped a neighbor out about a week ago and seemed to work fine:

IMG_20170731_214918_632.jpg

This is the one that lasted the longest I think. I just found this pic on the web.

shopping.jpg

The trail welder I use has 2 batteries to run it, so I always have that as another option if needed.

IMG_20170731_214847_585.jpg

Last edited:

Frydaddy

I just got one of those Lithium-ion Jump packs too, to replace my Harbor Freight Jump Box in a can.

To say that Jump frog will get 20 starts seems quite optimistic, Maybe if the battery still has some life in it.What is its capacity? I would guess 8000mA pouch cells by the size. The one I got is 14000mA in 18650 cells (and claims 600A peak start, but never trust that number). They say to attach these jump boxes, and wait a few minutes to let it charge the battery a bit, then try to start it with both the renewed car battery and the jump box.

Old crappy HF battery
IMG_20160604_173449918.jpg

new 14000mA Li-Ion pack, now I can charge my 12V tablet too!
71GCkzT-C5L._SL1000_.jpg

If I ever get around to it, I will be building a remote dual battery system with Anderson connectors, so the second battery can also be used as a jump box.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I've been using the noco genius boost for a while. Seems like good quality. Used a couple of times for friends and work colleagues with dead batteries. I just leave it in the tool box in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

I just got one of those Lithium-ion Jump packs too, to replace my Harbor Freight Jump Box in a can.

To say that Jump frog will get 20 starts seems quite optimistic, Maybe if the battery still has some life in it.What is its capacity? I would guess 8000mA pouch cells by the size. The one I got is 14000mA in 18650 cells (and claims 600A peak start, but never trust that number). They say to attach these jump boxes, and wait a few minutes to let it charge the battery a bit, then try to start it with both the renewed car battery and the jump box.

Old crappy HF battery
View attachment 270863

new 14000mA Li-Ion pack, now I can charge my 12V tablet too!
View attachment 270864

If I ever get around to it, I will be building a remote dual battery system with Anderson connectors, so the second battery can also be used as a jump box.
Here are the specs on it.

Screenshot_20170801-102613-480x270.png

I've had to use it 3 times so far (my battery keeps dying) and it starts it up every time. I may wait to replace battery for a bit just to see how many times it can do it.

Sahara_Maverick

I carry one of those little battery packs that can help jump-starting cars. Got mine in Costco but several other places sell them. Before going on the ride I leave it plugged the night before for a full charge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

shipjim

I bought a Schumacher 800pmAh,, 400 peak 200mAH cranking, charges my cell too.has a wall charger but I bought a converter to put in 12v socket.
Ive used several times for my jeep.
Bought.one for our Chrysler 5.7 as even one on my boat w/Volvo Penta V8.
Total uses 20 including people in parking lots who are always amazed.
Buy on eBay or .Amazon

jj

Jsouder53

Hooked
Recently I left my heated seats on all night and my battery was dead [emoji849] we are down to one vehicle so I couldn’t jump it.

Looking into a jump box and saw the reviews on this, was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

IMG_7381.jpg

duktrx

Recently I left my heated seats on all night and my battery was dead [emoji849] we are down to one vehicle so I couldn’t jump it.

Looking into a jump box and saw the reviews on this, was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

View attachment 357087
I don't have experience with that one. I bought one at Costco; I think the brand was Type-S, around $70. I think it's the one Eddie carries. As it was more accessible than my cables, I lent it to a coworker last week, jumped his F-150 with no problem.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
I don't have experience with that one. I bought one at Costco; I think the brand was Type-S, around $70. I think it's the one Eddie carries. As it was more accessible than my cables, I lent it to a coworker last week, jumped his F-150 with no problem.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Perfect [emoji106] thanks. Its definitely necessary!

Top Bottom