Camping at Gold lake 4x4 campground

Battle Born JK

Hi everyone ill be camping at gold lake 4x4 campground 8-7 to 8-10. Any recommendations of easy to moderate trails in the area would be greatly appreciated traveling solo on this one. Only have 4 days there and we want to take in as much as we can so and recommendations on lakes, meadows, sightseeing would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pack plenty of WAG bags....

There are something like 20 lakes in that area. All but a few are hike in only. Very easy "off road" forestry/fire roads all through there. Take a day and just explore.

Battle Born JK

Yeah thats what I hear they dont have their bathrooms no more. Carry in Carry out. I plan on doing alot of exploring by jeep and by foot.

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
Be prepared to camp outside Gold Lake, ( bring your own table etc) been up there the last few weekends and it's been a zoo. Few folks leaving on Sunday, some folks have been up there 2 weeks straight. Plus they have removed the bathrooms so be prepared to handle that. Gold lake has been on the brink of closure for the last 4 years. If folks don't keep the place clean we'll lose it.

Take the road out of the back of Gold Lake CG up to Summit lake, from there go straight and then decide if you want to go to take the Deer Lake OHV route sharp left, or straight to the Gold Valley route both easy to moderate. There is a 3rd option, the far right trail out of Summit Lake that takes you on the Snake Lake OHV trail/Little Deer trail. Those would be the "most difficult" in that area, steep lose sluices and off camber hills.

Last edited:

Battle Born JK

Be prepared to camp outside Gold Lake, ( bring your own table etc) been up there the last few weekends and it's been a zoo. Few folks leaving on Sunday, some folks have been up there 2 weeks straight. Plus they have removed the bathrooms so be prepared to handle that. Gold lake has been on the brink of closure for the last 4 years. If folks don't keep the place clean we'll lose it.

Take the road out of the back of Gold Lake CG up to Summit lake, from there go straight and then decide if you want to go to take the Deer Lake OHV route sharp left, or straight to the Gold Valley route both easy to moderate. There is a 3rd option, the far right trail out of Summit Lake that takes you on the Snake Lake OHV trail/Little Deer trail. Those would be the "most difficult" in that area, steep lose sluices and off camber hills.
Thanks for sharing thats extactly the info I was looking for I hope it will be a little less crowded during the week. How is the trail to little deer lake?

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
Steep, eroded, loose, my buddy rolled his Yamaha YZR 3x down a section of it last weekend. Had surgery on his hand to repair the 2 broken fingers yesterday. I wouldn't recommend it alone.

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
Deer Lake ( not little deer) is nice , gives you a nice view of Deer Lake, but it's short. It'll put you out on Packer Lake road and if you choose you can take Packer lake road (paved) to the Sierra Buttes, or Lower & upper Satdine lake ( highly recommend seeing those. Upper Sardine is a rough shelf road w/limited parking at the top but the lake is spectacular) You can also hook back into the Gold Valley from that paved road so there are a ton of options. The NG Trails illustrated map #805 ( Tahoe Natl Forest) is excellent, it'll show you all the trails in the area.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Oh, forgot to mention, smoke from the Minerva fire ( Quincy area) was pretty thick when I was there 2 days ago.

We were going to go up the area this weekend but after flying over the area Friday morning decided to wait after seeing all of the smoke. Looked pretty bad from the air.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Joshman3280

I was up there last weekend on the father in laws boat. I was considering a run up to volcano lake tomorrow with the family. Possibly Sierra buttes? My wife's family lives up in Graeagle so we constantly find new trails to wheel. Has anyone done the Poker flats run? I saw it on " trails.com". I read it started in Portola but I wasn't sure where? I grew up in Portola so I assume it is somewhere behind the high school or court house?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom