PR60 vs PR80

If you were going to spend the $ on one is there any reason you would go PR60 over the PR80? I was chatting with Dynatrac today and they seemed quick to push the PR80. Just wanted to get some opinions.

StrizzyChris

PR80 is low pinion, so you will lose ground clearance, but gain substantial R&P strength. The only reason I would imagine you need this much strength is if your planning a motor swap and expect a ton of torque and horsepower. The cost difference is minimally higher in the 80(unless Dynatrac has changed pricing in the last 6 months).

PR60 is high pinion, and I haven't heard of any housing or R&P breaks in a JK.

So my PERSONAL opinion: 3.8 or 3.6l jk engine and i would save a couple hundred and gain ground clearance with the 60. Hemi or LS swap and I would begin to consider the 80.

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

I should put a disclaimer the i was referring to a full float D60 above when i stated they are plenty strong and I've not heard of breaks. I definitely know people who have broken D60 semi-float shafts on JKs!

GCM 2

PR80 if you are building an off road rig that will be used for racing and have 500hp-1000hp motor. Or PR80 if you are upgrading your offroad rig's diesel tow truck. It's more axle than 99.9% of offroaders will ever need

Full Float PR60 for a trail rig/daily driver that will see hard use and possibly a hemi or LS V8 motor swap. Four years of this kind of abuse in my rig and not one PR60 issue. Not saying you can't break one, you just have to be harder than I am on mine.

Attachments

• image-2876817572.jpg
    image-2876817572.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 264
  • image-601655409.jpg
    image-601655409.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
PR80 if you are building an off road rig that will be used for racing and have 500hp-1000hp motor. Or PR80 if you are upgrading your offroad rig's diesel tow truck. It's more axle than 99.9% of offroaders will ever need

Full Float PR60 for a trail rig/daily driver that will see hard use and possibly a hemi or LS V8 motor swap. Four years of this kind of abuse in my rig and not one PR60 issue. Not saying you can't break one, you just have to be harder than I am on mine.

First off those are some awesome pics! Second my plan has been and still is to go PR60's (full float in rear). I was just amazed how quickly they tried to get me to PR80's and they didn't give up :crazyeyes: I never plan...maybe shouldn't say never, but never plan to do a motor swap so 60's will be ALL I need. Just thought it was curious.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Agreed. A full float PR60 is really all you need for most off roaders and it comes with the benefit of having the clearance of a high pinion. A PR80 is a lot stronger especially being that it is a low pinion design but, your pinion yoke will be a bit more exposed. Of course, when you've got BIG power, pushing you along or playing extremely hard, that'll be the least of your problems.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off those are some awesome pics! Second my plan has been and still is to go PR60's (full float in rear). I was just amazed how quickly they tried to get me to PR80's and they didn't give up :crazyeyes: I never plan...maybe shouldn't say never, but never plan to do a motor swap so 60's will be ALL I need. Just thought it was curious.

Well, they aren't that much more and you would be getting the best of the best. If I didn't already have a full float PR60 that I had already paid to have upgraded from a semi-float setup, I wouldn't mind having a PR80 and just because :crazyeyes:

RDE2ROK

Glad to see this discussion,I am also getting close to purchasing my rear axle and was back and forth on the same issue.But I don't think I will ever upgrade to a hemi, but on the other hand I am buying a rear axle! What's a few more $ at this point?:thinking: I also have a 2 door so the high pinion on the PR60 will help a lot!:idontknow:

Well, they aren't that much more and you would be getting the best of the best. If I didn't already have a full float PR60 that I had already paid to have upgraded from a semi-float setup, I wouldn't mind having a PR80 and just because :crazyeyes:

But I want to be clear your plans are to go to a V8 swap correct and that is why you would do the 80 over what you have? From my limited knowledge it seems having the high pinion and extremely strong, not the strongest, but strong PR60 is about all anyone would need when playing with a 3.6? Im always the believer that if you're doing it do it right once but I am still not sold on the PR80 for my application.

Thanks for everyone's input as well :thumb:

GCM 2

Glad to see this discussion,I am also getting close to purchasing my rear axle and was back and forth on the same issue.But I don't think I will ever upgrade to a hemi, but on the other hand I am buying a rear axle! What's a few more $ at this point?:thinking: I also have a 2 door so the high pinion on the PR60 will help a lot!:idontknow:

On a two door, that PR60 full float is about as strong as you will ever need. The PR80 is a MASSIVE axle. And as Eddie stated, the low pinion is a big negative on clearance and the driveshaft yoke/ujoint, but low pinion is the reason why it's so damn strong.

I got to work on a rig that was running a ProRock 80. That thing is no joke! If you see the thing in person, you will understand it is not for tourist or the weekend warrior. It really is overkill for guys like us.

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

And as Eddie stated, the low pinion is a big negative on clearance and the driveshaft yoke/ujoint, but low pinion is the reason why it's so damn strong.

And just in case ur wondering why a high pinion is stronger than a low pinion...its because the high pinion runs on the coast side of the teeth. A low pinion engages the drive side of the teeth, which is much stronger

GCM 2

How hard is it going to be to switch to the 1410/1480 stuff? Will there be any issues there?

No issues. That's is just a change of bolting on stronger material (alloys). The low pinion portion, that is not changeable, it's the overall design/shape of the diff housing. It's either high or low.

I still feel like the PR80 is overkill for my needs. I do plan on running 40's but not big HP or V8. I believe I will stay with my initial plan :D but in 2 years when I say I wish I would have got the PR80 because I want a Hemi no one remember this post :thumb:

GCM 2

I still feel like the PR80 is overkill for my needs. I do plan on running 40's but not big HP or V8. I believe I will stay with my initial plan :D but in 2 years when I say I wish I would have got the PR80 because I want a Hemi no one remember this post :thumb:

Even with a big V8, a PR60 is suitable if its a full float.

RDE2ROK

On a two door, that PR60 full float is about as strong as you will ever need. The PR80 is a MASSIVE axle. And as Eddie stated, the low pinion is a big negative on clearance and the driveshaft yoke/ujoint, but low pinion is the reason why it's so damn strong.

I got to work on a rig that was running a ProRock 80. That thing is no joke! If you see the thing in person, you will understand it is not for tourist or the weekend warrior. It really is overkill for guys like us.

Thanks Greg, that's kinda what I was thinking. But you know how it is when you are upgrading, you want to "take it to court" and be sure your money is well spent on the right application. I have re-done too many things and want to get it right this time.:beer:

GCM 2

.... I have re-done too many things and want to get it right this time.:beer:

You got it! The PR80 is the newest, latest, greatest, bigger, better thing.....However, knowing the owner of Dynatrac and getting his exact intent for what a PR80 was brought to market for, well EVO1 at 6000+lbs (thats light for EVO1) for running the KOH unlimited class race category is one of the things a PR80 is for ;)

1BAMFR

DAMN Dude, WTF, You got a 6.1 under the hood?

Top Bottom