Little red oil light

papa11

I recently changed my oil, I have a 2008, so I have the crapy 3.8.. anyway I went to ams oil and a ams oil filter, I was out wheeling and I heard a little ticking coming from the engine...it had 64000 miles on it. It was about a quart low so I added a quart. I started it up and the ticking was pretty much gone...about 500 miles since the oil change by the way... then all of a sudden I get a high pitch squeal and the oil light comes on I pull over shut it off recheck the oil it's fine. Start it up and no noise my friend sail maybe some dust in the tensioner caused the squealing ok... it did it on and off the squealing until we hit the pavement then it stopped for good...now again the oil light came on.. this is after driving around town for a week.. I don't know why?? Or what to check does anyone have any suggestions??? Beside a new engine??

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Try switching the filter to another brand and see what happens. Sometimes filters can be defective or even have larger or smaller passages in such a way that they cause pressure symptoms. It's even possible the filter got boxed improperly. I would start there and see what happens. Save the filter though in case you do need it for evidence though. It also could be completely coincidental.

PT1400

+1 on the filter. They're cheap and quick to replace.

When the noise was happening: Was the fan cycling on and off? AC cycling on and off? Pulling the steering wheel too hard trying to steer over a rock?

jeeeep

Hooked
as mentioned, change the oil filter out.

not all filters are produced with the proper back pressure valve, I prefer mopar, mobile 1, wix or fram toughguard (not extra guard).

are you getting dry starts as well?

papa11

Yes I get dry starts, I was not going over anything a.c was off I don't recall if the fan was cycling I'll try a new filter you guys are right that's the easiest place to start... thanks for the replies!!

jeeeep

Hooked
Yes I get dry starts, I was not going over anything a.c was off I don't recall if the fan was cycling I'll try a new filter you guys are right that's the easiest place to start... thanks for the replies!!

getting a filter with the proper back pressure valve will also eliminate dry starts as it keeps the oil from flowing back out of the filter when it's shut down

aTX427

A lot of people swear by those high dollar oils, but I would rather use a standard conventional oil with a good filter (Wix or Mobil 1) and change it more often.

BobNH

When I was changing my oil in my TJ, I always bought the Mopar filter at Autozone. It wasn't that expensive. I used Wix in my Audi though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom