17 Rubicon Automatic

JkTed

Hi all. Just got a new Rubicon with 3.73 and auto. Wondering how they run with 35-37's ? I'm not rock krawling I mostly overland camp towing a custom camper.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to Wayalife. It won't be real fun towing on hills. Most guys here seem to run 4.88s on 35s and 5.13s for 37s. If you're on flat ground, it may be manageable. Guaranteed you'll notice the difference.

Napalm

They run OK. Hills will bring some challenge but 35s and 3.73s aren't that bad. Towing on the other hand is a different story. I've heard a gear change is absolutely needed when you are looking to tow.

TheGrendel

OP, everyone feels differently but i'll be honest. i just sold an auto JKR on 35s with 4.10s and procal for tire correction and i definitely noticed a difference. that was in flat as heck Houston, TX as well. i'd say try it out but go ahead and start depositing money into the gears fund because i think you'll want them sooner rather than later.

JkTed

Thanks for the input guys. I figured as much. I just sold my 08 2dr with 4:10's and 35's and I'm just starting to build my camper, it will probably run about 1000 lbs. once completed I'll give it a try but fully expect to re-gear. I was just hoping someone would say "no Problem at all" lol. Thanks again

SergJKURhino

I run 35's on 3.73. It's not bad; I can still pass folks going uphill at highway speeds...but I'm not towing anything either. Off road, this combo should be fine...I just did some overlanding in the Los Padres National Forest & my JKUR ate up the trails without issue (everyone else in the group was impressed w/ the ease my Jeep took on obstacles), but again...I wasn't trailering. If I was going to stick with the stock D44 axles, I would move up to 4.88...but ultimately I want 37's, so I'll end up swapping axles altogether anyways & won't bother regearing at this time.

jonathanbottoms

I've got a '14 JKUR with stock 4.10s and 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers & an automatic transmission. I've also got the AEV Procal. Hills are killer, in my opinion. I'll be upgrading to 4.88s at some point next year, just to make the Jeep feel more natural. Too much downshifting for me right now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nbfreak2

I just put 37 in BFGs on my 17 Rubicon JKU/Automatic stock 4.10s, I will be re gearing to 5.13s asap. I live in Utah so not really to flat, its driveable but lacking for sure.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Just be glad you didn't waste $700 on factory 4.10's like I did. I went to 4.88 with 35's. Went to 37's a lot sooner than I planned and kinda wished I went to 5.13. It's only 180rpm difference between the two, so not life altering, but I tow a camper a lot.

bill.turner

I am running a 15 2 door Ruby with 4.10's and factory tires. I have ACE bumpers and a winch. I just towed a teardrop from central Ohio ( read flat) to lake Cumberland. The teardrop weighs in at 1150 empty. It frequently down shifted on the Kentucky hills. 3.73's and a trailer will be a noticeable difference with 35's.

JkTed

Just be glad you didn't waste $700 on factory 4.10's like I did. I went to 4.88 with 35's. Went to 37's a lot sooner than I planned and kinda wished I went to 5.13. It's only 180rpm difference between the two, so not life altering, but I tow a camper a lot.

I could have upgraded also but I didn't think their would have been a noticeable difference with the 4:10's I'll try it out and see for myself and decide what to do from there. Thanks for the input it's good to know I didn't toss that money away and I'm sorry for your loss [emoji851]

Top Bottom