Extended mileage/duration in 4H at highway speeds...

sm31

In preparation for commuting on icy/snowy roads in AK this winter, I am a little concerned about driving for extended miles and higher speeds in 4H (about 10 miles hwy to work). Are there any significant maintenance concerns with doing so? Will I need to shorten the oil change interval on the Xfer case?

I don't know whether this is common but I have found my brake bias to be significantly better in 4H than 2H. It doesn't matter in dry or rainy weather but I can really feel it in the snow and ice. The front end just wants to push...

Journeyman

I would definitely reduce your transfer case intervals if your in four high that much. Your transfer case is always turning in two high, but now your putting load on it. Besides it's a super easy job to do!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
I would not do that unless the roads really are covered in snow, ice, or something else (sand, dirt) that will abate binding of the drivetrain. Wet pavement will not be enough.

PT1400

Same as above. Change the front diff and transfer case. At the same time as your rear diff. Keep an eye on your transmission guild quality as well.

sm31

Thanks for the advice! I do plan to only run in 4H when there is snow/ice on the road. Just anticipating that such will be the case quite often up here. But this is my first winter in AK. Was in WY before so I'm no stranger to the conditions but I didn't have the longer commute. I'll definitely increase the maintenance intervals on the xfer case... and thank you for reminding me about the front diff!

I rarely take my tj out of 4 hi in the winter here in Michigan. If any snow is on the road with my balding 33 mud tires, living down back roads 4 hi is very necessary, handles it like a champ even 70+mph on hwy. I dont think any extra maintenance is required just the same maintenance that should be done anyways.

jknikos

I rarely take my tj out of 4 hi in the winter here in Michigan. If any snow is on the road with my balding 33 mud tires, living down back roads 4 hi is very necessary, handles it like a champ even 70+mph on hwy. I dont think any extra maintenance is required just the same maintenance that should be done anyways.
Can the type of 4wd wranglers have handle 7hi in 70mph?

Sent from my LG-D855 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

Just my opinion here but if you're able to run 70+ I'd hope the conditions don't warrant being in 4wd.

sm31

Just my opinion here but if you're able to run 70+ I'd hope the conditions don't warrant being in 4wd.

It may be the same with Snboarder113 but brake bias is more important to me than the "drive" traction from 4WD. When the roads are slick, my front wheels tend to lock up before the rear wheels but in 4WD the bias is very even. I don't know whether this is normal or an actual braking issue I need to address.

It's Michigan. We got places to go, things to do, snow doesn't scare us. Local jeep clubs even volunteer to pickup / drop off hospital staff on the bad nights. If I was running better tires i wouldn't feel the need most of the time like when I'm driving my explorer.

IMG_0343.JPG

Jokes aside, being short wheel base with m/t in snow and ice a slip of traction can spin it pretty easy. It's made to be a 4x4 and I use it as such. And yes, brakes are better in 4 because your front brakes are slowing the rear axle as well, because drum brakes suck and I don't have abs.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I grew up in Washington state so I'm no stranger to snow. Like I said, just my opinion. You guys wanna drive 70+ on slick roads that's your decision. I just hope you don't take out any other poor souls if it ever goes badly for you.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
I grew up in Washington state so I'm no stranger to snow. Like I said, just my opinion. You guys wanna drive 70+ on slick roads that's your decision. I just hope you don't take out any other poor souls if it ever goes badly for

It's not nearly the big deal so many out staters make it to be. We don't have the hills in Michigan you do like parts of Washington. We're not talking 4H and 70 during bumper to bumper rush hour.

It's not terribly uncommon further north in the state, to have 8" snow fall and you're about the only one out on the e-way for an hour or better. and you've 45 mikes to go. I've done the same in my suburban. No drama.

6-8" snowfall, a bit of traffic out before me, 60-65 is tops for me, but it also depends on conditions (type of snow) and my tires at the time. 6" powder is a lot diff than 3" of wet snow.

Last edited:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
It's not nearly the big deal so many out staters make it to be. We don't have the hills in Michigan you do like parts of Washington. We're not talking 4H and 70 during bumper to bumper rush hour.

It's not terribly uncommon further north in the state, to have 8" snow fall and you're about the only one out on the e-way for an hour or better. and you've 45 mikes to go. I've done the same in my suburban. No drama.

6-8" snowfall, a bit of traffic out before me, 60-65 is tops for me, but it also depends on conditions (type of snow) and my tires at the time. 6" powder is a lot diff than 3" of wet snow.

Cool story bro. To each their own.

You seem to be implying that I'm not driving within the limits of my vehicle and comfort level and that I'm doomed to crash and kill a family of four somehow. Different people have different comfort levels and experience with snow and ice, different vehicles have different limits as well. Assuming someone is going to crash because they're going highway speeds using 4wd is ignorant. As others have already pointed out it's not just for traction.
And as far as the extra wear, I hear so many people saying don't use it on pavement, or immediately shift back to 2wd the second you're off the snow. Binding on dry pavement and hurting the driveline the only time it's going to do anything is sharp turns and parking and it will just clunk and be fine. We're merely talking about using a 4 high system for what it's designed to do. We're not talking about lockers or any other things that could adversely effect handling. Just 4x4, you bought it, hell yeah use it and don't think twice.

OP, where in Alaska are you? I'm jealous I've always wanted to go wheeling there. Not sure how far into the frigid you are you plan on doing anything like a block heater/ frost heater? Also do you have a manual or automatic trans?

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Last time I was going over 40 in 4hi I hit a patch of black ice and spun in a 720 and then ended up back in my lane driving like normal. Probably the most terrified I've been in my entire life. You people from Michigan are crazy.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
You seem to be implying that I'm not driving within the limits of my vehicle and comfort level and that I'm doomed to crash and kill a family of four somehow. Different people have different comfort levels and experience with snow and ice, different vehicles have different limits as well. Assuming someone is going to crash because they're going highway speeds using 4wd is ignorant. As others have already pointed out it's not just for traction.
And as far as the extra wear, I hear so many people saying don't use it on pavement, or immediately shift back to 2wd the second you're off the snow. Binding on dry pavement and hurting the driveline the only time it's going to do anything is sharp turns and parking and it will just clunk and be fine. We're merely talking about using a 4 high system for what it's designed to do. We're not talking about lockers or any other things that could adversely effect handling. Just 4x4, you bought it, hell yeah use it and don't think twice.

OP, where in Alaska are you? I'm jealous I've always wanted to go wheeling there. Not sure how far into the frigid you are you plan on doing anything like a block heater/ frost heater? Also do you have a manual or automatic trans?

First off, don't get butt hurt, I was just voicing my opinion. I wasn't implying anything. I was just simply saying I don't think it's smart. In fact you said yourself, with the short wheelbase and your shitty tires, a slip of traction can easily cause a spin. I just figured a logical person wouldn't think it's perfectly safe to drive 70+ in the snow if that's the case. But just as you stated, everyone has different comfort levels or their idea of what is within their limits. As to your comment about it not being for traction...if you're using it to keep your tires from skidding or sliding, I think it still qualifies as traction at least in my feeble mind. I've personally seen the consequences of driving beyond safe limits and have lost some good friends to that very reason, so maybe I'm more cautious than most and maybe that's why I felt the need to voice my opinion on the subject. Don't read into it for more than what it is....just one guys opinion.... the world is full of them.

PT1400

The type of snow makes a huge difference. The west coast gets a snow that is very wet and slick. The plains states get that dry snow. You don't slide nearly as much. Either way, use your brain and you'll be fine.

sm31

I'm located in Anchorage... they see plenty of frigid weather but I don't think it's quite to the point of needing a block heater like in Fairbanks, etc. In fact, their lows aren't as cold as it was in Casper WY. Definitely looking forward to exploring the hundreds of miles of trails out here though!

I have an auto... first one I've ever owned & I really like it. And when I'm on the trails I *love* it! :)

Top Bottom