Stock Gas Tank Skid

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
this last weekend i found out i have a rust spot in my stock gas tank skid and the last thing i need to do is puncture my gas tank. so does anyone have one laying around or know where i can get one for cheap?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I believe the history of the jeep brings it from the east coast. This is the only sign of rust I have seen on the jeep

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yea that looks pretty bad. I would take a pick or something to it and see if you can poke through. That can end very bad for you if you happen to come down on a rock.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure cancerous. I didn't have time to really investigate yesterday but looks like a hole has been forming and a hit this last weekend has exposed it.

Yeah, that looks pretty cancerous :icon_crazy:

I wonder if it's just localized to that area. If so, you might be able to drop the skid, cut out the infected area and weld on an overlapping piece of steel to patch it up.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug

I wonder if it's just localized to that area. If so, you might be able to drop the skid, cut out the infected area and weld on an overlapping piece of steel to patch it up.

That sounds like something I would do and while your welding that up may as well put a plate across the whole thing it would be that much stronger with future hits.

deadguy

Here's cancerous....
IMG_20170729_162911681.jpg
I found a used one on eBay for a decent price. Gotta search at junkyards to get one for a decent price

sent from a guy with a Jeep

M_Savage

Caught the Bug

Yeah it's just that area. Seems like water and other stuff was caught in that area from where it attaches and eating away from the top down. Got a chance to pick around and this is how it looks now.

IMG_9352.jpg
IMG_9353.jpg

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Yeah it's just that area. Seems like water and other stuff was caught in that area from where it attaches and eating away from the top down. Got a chance to pick around and this is how it looks now.

View attachment 271981
View attachment 271982

Mine looked that same way last year. I knocked off the rust, weakened metal, cleaned it up and painted the exposed metal. I plan to weld on a patch when I get time to pull the entire skid plate at some point in the future. Then I'll paint the inside and outside before re-installing the skid.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

jesse3638

Hooked
That would be fantastic! Are you sure your up for it? I think it would be a pretty taxing job?

Make sure ur near empty. The skid holds the gas tank up. Just for clarification. I know how to weld but I wouldn't call myself a welder...haha. If you have local steel yards near you you can probably pick up some scrap that size for cheap. My schedule is kinda hit and miss right now but if things align I'm more than happy to help. It would maybe take a few hours (Famous last words..;))

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom