Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stock Gas Tank Skid

Nothing but a Thing BaddestCross's Avatar
    You do live on the coast, though. The salt in the air will get you if you have any exposed metal. I'd check the rest of the undercarriage while you're under there.

--
    [Sent from the WAYALIFE mobile app]

Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    --
    Build Thread: Adventures with Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Here's cancerous....
    IMG_20170729_162911681.jpg
    I found a used one on eBay for a decent price. Gotta search at junkyards to get one for a decent price

sent from a guy with a Jeep

And the inside
    IMG_20170729_165150551.jpg

Compared to the "used" one lol
    IMG_20170729_165113041.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Yeah, that looks pretty cancerous

I wonder if it's just localized to that area. If so, you might be able to drop the skid, cut out the infected area and weld on an overlapping piece of steel to patch it up.
    Yeah it's just that area. Seems like water and other stuff was caught in that area from where it attaches and eating away from the top down. Got a chance to pick around and this is how it looks now.

IMG_9352.jpg
    IMG_9353.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Here's cancerous....
    IMG_20170729_162911681.jpg
    I found a used one on eBay for a decent price. Gotta search at junkyards to get one for a decent price

I honestly didn't think of eBay. I'll heck that out. But junk yards are hard for me cause they are far and can only do it on the weekend which still is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by M_Savage View Post
    Yeah it's just that area. Seems like water and other stuff was caught in that area from where it attaches and eating away from the top down. Got a chance to pick around and this is how it looks now.

IMG_9352.jpg
    IMG_9353.jpg

Mine looked that same way last year. I knocked off the rust, weakened metal, cleaned it up and painted the exposed metal. I plan to weld on a patch when I get time to pull the entire skid plate at some point in the future. Then I'll paint the inside and outside before re-installing the skid.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

I'd check local pick a parts. Maybe buy an after market skid and cut out that section and put the aftermarket over it?

Any luck in fixing this? If not I have a welder and we could drop it and throw a patch on it for now.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    Any luck in fixing this? If not I have a welder and we could drop it and throw a patch on it for now.

That would be fantastic! Are you sure your up for it? I think it would be a pretty taxing job?

Quote Originally Posted by M_Savage View Post
    That would be fantastic! Are you sure your up for it? I think it would be a pretty taxing job?

Make sure ur near empty. The skid holds the gas tank up. Just for clarification. I know how to weld but I wouldn't call myself a welder...haha. If you have local steel yards near you you can probably pick up some scrap that size for cheap. My schedule is kinda hit and miss right now but if things align I'm more than happy to help. It would maybe take a few hours (Famous last words..)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast