Strange Things You've Seen on the Trail

Warebear

As the title says. Always makes for some crazy, interesting stories. As much time as we all spend in our Jeeps, far off the beaten path, I wonder what crazy things everyone has come across.

A recent one for me was an older explorer stuck in the mud and abandoned. Every time we would go past it as the days went by, more and more parts would be gone. I believe it's just a shell laying on its roof now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Frydaddy

This guy was freshly abandoned on the Bloody Basin road to Sheep Bridge. The miles leading up to this, show him fishtailing and taking the turns at speed!

IMG_20170513_144605326.jpg

IMG_20170513_144614397_HDR.jpg

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Went out one day after work to an easy in my XJ to trail I usually take people on their first time wheeling. I got to the one obstacle that challenges a stock SUV and came across a group of four guys from out of state in a Honda accord that made a wrong turn. Wish I had taken pictures, had to stack lots of rocks and listen to a bunch of scraping to get that car off the trail though.

Frydaddy

Stolen?
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I really just drove right by it when I saw the orange sticker. That means the authorities have already been there right?

Went out one day after work to an easy in my XJ to trail I usually take people on their first time wheeling. I got to the one obstacle that challenges a stock SUV and came across a group of four guys from out of state in a Honda accord that made a wrong turn. Wish I had taken pictures, had to stack lots of rocks and listen to a bunch of scraping to get that car off the trail though.

This spring, we saw a guy trying to get to I-17 from Cave creek Road through Table Mesa Road with a Late model BUICK! Now Cave Creek, is like an old dirt road, but Table mesa, can get pretty nasty. At this point he's already been through some nasty stuff, but no way hes gonna make it any further. He was here, headed west (https://goo.gl/maps/wKbhFGSqdU32) Sorry, no pics, but a great story none the less. Every time we see a rough trail we gauge it by saying " A Buick could make it!"

And a bonus story, A new facebook group in my area connects people that are stuck in the woods, with others that can help recover them. A few weeks ago, This Expedition was stuck in some mud, for 8 hours, with kids, before making a post for help. Took us almost two hours to get to them, pulled them out easy without incident.

But then... The first hundred feet of the trail had a small shelf to climb. He tried over and over, ripped his crossmember up, cracked his trans, and almost went over the edge. We cant believe he smashed his truck up, when all our equipment was still out, ready to pull him up.

Here is where he stopped, that tiny shelf is bottom center, kinda hard to see.
IMG_20170730_222711550.jpg

I climbed another shelf to get in a good position.
IMG_20170730_223043875.jpg

Top Bottom