Craptstic luck. Gotta vent.

RedPool

Last Saturday, I took a 1.5 hour drive to some trails, rode for 5 hours or so, drove 1.5 hours back home. About 20 minutes from my house, I start hearing the clicks and pops from the rear end area. Yay. I am guessing I smacked the rear drive shaft just right and caused a bit of damage. I also seem to have damaged the bearings/gears in the axle. If you are going to do something, do it right. I get the jeep back tomorrow. No clue how much this will cost (read as how pissed the wife will be). I did learn a few things though. 1. You can never see under the surface and must pay attention to those details. 2. No matter how much maintenance you do, it may not be enough for some things. 3. When destroying Jeep parts, it makes for a great time to upgrade.

Outside of these "error corrections", I think it will cost me a lift and new wheels/tires for her JKU. Could be worse, She could have made me walk to work.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
It's an endless cycle of hunting down weak links (or finding them on the trail) and making it stronger. At least you're out on the trail using it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RedPool

Reminds me of last years Rockin' Rubicon run when I blew our my rear DS. I was more disappointed at the reality that I may not get to finish the trip not how much it was going to cost to replace the DS itself.

Not being able to ride is what bothers me the most. Turning down the rare, midweek trail ride was worse then the cost of all this. Shockingly enough, my wife is not upset and is glad it broke near home and not a couple hours away. I wonder if she will let me take her pavement princess out...

jesse3638

Hooked
Not being able to ride is what bothers me the most. Turning down the rare, midweek trail ride was worse then the cost of all this. Shockingly enough, my wife is not upset and is glad it broke near home and not a couple hours away. I wonder if she will let me take her pavement princess out...

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission I always say..;). Just detail the shit out of it when you get home.

JAGS

Hooked
Wheeling isn't a cheap hobby. Must alway be prepared to upgrade/replace at a moments notice.

Hopefully the "damage" isn't to bad and you'll be able to move forward with your plans.

FWIW, I try to keep price out of the conversations on mods. [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23]

jesse3638

Hooked
Wheeling isn't a cheap hobby. Must alway be prepared to upgrade/replace at a moments notice.

Hopefully the "damage" isn't to bad and you'll be able to move forward with your plans.

FWIW, I try to keep price out of the conversations on mods. [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23]

Yeah that a great point..haha.

JeepJeep75

This is a great opportunity for you to upgrade. I'm facing the same reality with my cracked plug-welds. I told my wife we can repair the problem, or fix it forever. She's onboard with fixing it forever. [emoji51][emoji123]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RedPool

Got the Jeep back tonight after work. They ended up replacing the rear drive shaft and just about every gear/bearing/seal in the rear axle. Luckily I kept things pretty clean so they found no points of impact on anything. They did find what they described as a minor amount of water in the rear diff and told me that it should not have caused that much damage. (Still new to Jeeps and not that mechanically experienced to know.) On the plus side, the dealer put it all under warranty. This gives me a chance to look into upgrades without the need to rush and be Sure I make informed decisions.

The wife is happy and has approved upgrades provided she gets her lift "soon". Damn glad I married an understanding woman who prefer Glocks and trucks over shoes and purses.

Top Bottom