Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: DIY hardtop hoist?

  1. #11
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9
    Our garage isn't large, the ceiling (open rafters) isn't really set up for using a pulley system, and hanging it up over a backed-in Jeep doesn't work because of ... well, a number of issues.

    This could well fit in the "You're Doing It Wrong" thread, but it worked.

    IMG_2726.jpg


    The orange strap is there (one on each side) only in case one of the four primary straps lets go accidentally, to keep the top from falling on our boat since this thing is hanging over the back deck.

    IMG_2729.jpg

    Eyebolts, extra large washers, nylock nuts, ratchet straps, and a couple of cut 2x4s with some foam wapped around and stapled. When I take this thing down, I'm going to run a couple of bolts through the top mounting bolt holes and back 2x4, and probably just clamp the front 2x4 to the top with a couple of quick-grip clamps so the boards don't move around on me.

    There is an old gymnastics mat between the top and the rafters. When I ratchet the thing up to the point where it makes soft contact with that mat, it doesn't move at all. No swinging.

    Like I said, I may have done this wrong or it may be overkill, but it works.

  2. #12
    Nothing but a Thing MattAlpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    1,003
    Looks good to me!


    '07 JKUR

  3. #13
    Knows a Thing or Two FallonJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    506
    I also use the eye bolt ratchet strap lift

    Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

  4. #14
    Old Timer JeepJeep75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Redondo Beach
    Posts
    2,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Kid View Post
    Our garage isn't large, the ceiling (open rafters) isn't really set up for using a pulley system, and hanging it up over a backed-in Jeep doesn't work because of ... well, a number of issues.

    This could well fit in the "You're Doing It Wrong" thread, but it worked.

    IMG_2726.jpg


    The orange strap is there (one on each side) only in case one of the four primary straps lets go accidentally, to keep the top from falling on our boat since this thing is hanging over the back deck.

    IMG_2729.jpg

    Eyebolts, extra large washers, nylock nuts, ratchet straps, and a couple of cut 2x4s with some foam wapped around and stapled. When I take this thing down, I'm going to run a couple of bolts through the top mounting bolt holes and back 2x4, and probably just clamp the front 2x4 to the top with a couple of quick-grip clamps so the boards don't move around on me.

    There is an old gymnastics mat between the top and the rafters. When I ratchet the thing up to the point where it makes soft contact with that mat, it doesn't move at all. No swinging.

    Like I said, I may have done this wrong or it may be overkill, but it works.
    Trust me, you can't overkill any garage project if it works. Nice job!


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Sierra Vista, Arizona USA
    Posts
    2

    DIY hardtop hoist?

    Biggest Headache to remove hardtop and store it specially when you have very small place in you garage. how much it will cost to DIY www.spam.com is it safe? i also find some chepe hoist online. but which is best to buy online or to make by self. ok so let me describe my Jeep Model Jeep Wrangler (JL) 2018 april Model and i love travelling by jeep and i do jungle trains and mountain trails so sometimes i want to go without my hardtop. but to store hardtop and one of the biggest problem is to remove that. thanks in advance for helping me. and yeah i found good ideas from here...
    Last edited by notnalc68; 07-04-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Removed link

  6. #16
    Old Timer USMC Wrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cochise County, AZ
    Posts
    4,207

    DIY hardtop hoist?

    Quote Originally Posted by topliftingdevice View Post
    Biggest Headache to remove hardtop and store it specially when you have very small place in you garage. how much it will cost to DIY. is it safe? i also find some chepe hoist online. but which is best to buy online or to make by self. ok so let me describe my Jeep Model Jeep Wrangler (JL) 2018 april Model and i love travelling by jeep and i do jungle trains and mountain trails so sometimes i want to go without my hardtop. but to store hardtop and one of the biggest problem is to remove that. thanks in advance for helping me. and yeah i found good ideas from here...
    So you’re from Sierra Vista, AZ? I live 30 mins SE of there.

    Ummm, are you selling hoists or looking for ideas?
    Last edited by notnalc68; 07-04-2019 at 09:45 AM.
    2013 JKU Sport "Spider" with some EVO goodies and a chop here and there

    DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

    Overall "build thread" http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ker-quot-build

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Sierra Vista, Arizona USA
    Posts
    2

    DIY hardtop hoist?

    Quote Originally Posted by USMC Wrangler View Post
    So you’re from Sierra Vista, AZ? I live 30 mins SE of there.

    Ummm, are you selling hoists or looking for ideas?
    One of My Friend Made Hardtop Removal By self and i Purchased It Online from that website. that's Why i am suggesting,if you want to Buy than you can consider this site www.spam.com, But we both are still confused about it.
    Last edited by notnalc68; 07-04-2019 at 09:49 AM.

  8. #18
    Old Timer USMC Wrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cochise County, AZ
    Posts
    4,207

    DIY hardtop hoist?

    Quote Originally Posted by topliftingdevice View Post
    One of My Friend Made Hardtop Removal By self and i Purchased It Online from that website. that's Why i am suggesting,if you want to Buy than you can consider this site, But we both are still confused about it.
    You’re confused yet trying to direct traffic to your blog and your website, Stacy?

    So do you live in Sierra Vista or not?
    Last edited by notnalc68; 07-04-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    2013 JKU Sport "Spider" with some EVO goodies and a chop here and there

    DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

    Overall "build thread" http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ker-quot-build

  9. #19
    Word Ninja Sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    12,251

    DIY hardtop hoist?

    Quote Originally Posted by topliftingdevice View Post
    Biggest Headache to remove hardtop and store it specially when you have very small place in you garage. how much it will cost to DIY. is it safe? i also find some chepe hoist online. but which is best to buy online or to make by self. ok so let me describe my Jeep Model Jeep Wrangler (JL) 2018 april Model and i love travelling by jeep and i do jungle trains and mountain trails so sometimes i want to go without my hardtop. but to store hardtop and one of the biggest problem is to remove that. thanks in advance for helping me. and yeah i found good ideas from here...
    Nice screen name. In the immortal words of OverlanderJK...get fucked.

    Clearly you didn’t read the rules and have no interest in being here other than to pimp yourself.
    Last edited by notnalc68; 07-04-2019 at 09:51 AM.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

  10. #20
    Nothing but a Thing QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    1,403
    Quote Originally Posted by topliftingdevice View Post
    Biggest Headache to remove hardtop and store it specially when you have very small place in you garage. how much it will cost to DIY www.spam.com is it safe? i also find some chepe hoist online. but which is best to buy online or to make by self. ok so let me describe my Jeep Model Jeep Wrangler (JL) 2018 april Model and i love travelling by jeep and i do jungle trains and mountain trails so sometimes i want to go without my hardtop. but to store hardtop and one of the biggest problem is to remove that. thanks in advance for helping me. and yeah i found good ideas from here...
    Lots of jungles in AZ I hear. He must be legit


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS