DIY hardtop hoist?

Mikeyboc

I looked at the ones that are for sale, but honestly, $20 at Home Depot for some straps and eye bolts has more than done the trick for me. It takes me about 15 - 20 mins or so to get it off all by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I used some uni strut and bicycle hanger hooks and a HF electric winch pulled all the way up to the trusses and added some ratchet straps for good measure.

MrEmmDubya

An idea, 3 trips to home depot and 6 hours and who knows how many beers. But I succeeded , it turned out surprisingly good. Eye hooks, bike hooks, good rope and a cheap boat trailer crank. About 40 bucks. All said and done I used ratchet straps once I was happy and to give it a secure hold for the summer. The trick was getting the length of the rope perfect on the 4 corners. I was able to go up and down several time very smoothly.

Attachments

• IMG_20170416_172735605.jpg
    IMG_20170416_172735605.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 266

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Anybody have any suggestions for a DIY hoist for my garage? Would like to be able to have some sort of pulley system or something. Thanks guys

I looked at the ones that are for sale, but honestly, $20 at Home Depot for some straps and eye bolts has more than done the trick for me. It takes me about 15 - 20 mins or so to get it off all by myself.

Yup. I added a few small editions to make mine a bit more stable. but basically $20-$25 in and its been working just fine. :thumb:

4x - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-16-in-x-4-in-Zinc-Plated-Lag-Thread-Screw-Eye-806926/204273852

And

1x - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-in-x-12-ft-Ratchet-Tie-Down-4-Pack-FH0829/206802316

:thumb:

I used a total of 6 eye bolts, a 2x6 cut to the width of the hardtop and stapled some outdoor carpet to the ends as padding for the 2x6... I can raise and lower solo with ease. just takes a little back and forth...

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...y-Build-Thread?p=793518&viewfull=1#post793518

Alpine_Kid

Our garage isn't large, the ceiling (open rafters) isn't really set up for using a pulley system, and hanging it up over a backed-in Jeep doesn't work because of ... well, a number of issues.

This could well fit in the "You're Doing It Wrong" thread, but it worked.

IMG_2726.jpg

The orange strap is there (one on each side) only in case one of the four primary straps lets go accidentally, to keep the top from falling on our boat since this thing is hanging over the back deck.

IMG_2729.jpg

Eyebolts, extra large washers, nylock nuts, ratchet straps, and a couple of cut 2x4s with some foam wapped around and stapled. When I take this thing down, I'm going to run a couple of bolts through the top mounting bolt holes and back 2x4, and probably just clamp the front 2x4 to the top with a couple of quick-grip clamps so the boards don't move around on me.

There is an old gymnastics mat between the top and the rafters. When I ratchet the thing up to the point where it makes soft contact with that mat, it doesn't move at all. No swinging.

Like I said, I may have done this wrong or it may be overkill, but it works.

JeepJeep75

Our garage isn't large, the ceiling (open rafters) isn't really set up for using a pulley system, and hanging it up over a backed-in Jeep doesn't work because of ... well, a number of issues.

This could well fit in the "You're Doing It Wrong" thread, but it worked.

View attachment 275587

The orange strap is there (one on each side) only in case one of the four primary straps lets go accidentally, to keep the top from falling on our boat since this thing is hanging over the back deck.

View attachment 275588

Eyebolts, extra large washers, nylock nuts, ratchet straps, and a couple of cut 2x4s with some foam wapped around and stapled. When I take this thing down, I'm going to run a couple of bolts through the top mounting bolt holes and back 2x4, and probably just clamp the front 2x4 to the top with a couple of quick-grip clamps so the boards don't move around on me.

There is an old gymnastics mat between the top and the rafters. When I ratchet the thing up to the point where it makes soft contact with that mat, it doesn't move at all. No swinging.

Like I said, I may have done this wrong or it may be overkill, but it works.

Trust me, you can't overkill any garage project if it works. Nice job! [emoji106]

Biggest Headache to remove hardtop and store it specially when you have very small place in you garage. how much it will cost to DIY www.spam.com is it safe? i also find some chepe hoist online. but which is best to buy online or to make by self. ok so let me describe my Jeep Model Jeep Wrangler (JL) 2018 april Model and i love travelling by jeep and i do jungle trains and mountain trails so sometimes i want to go without my hardtop. but to store hardtop and one of the biggest problem is to remove that. thanks in advance for helping me. and yeah i found good ideas from here... :clap2:

Last edited by a moderator:

USMC Wrangler

Biggest Headache to remove hardtop and store it specially when you have very small place in you garage. how much it will cost to DIY. is it safe? i also find some chepe hoist online. but which is best to buy online or to make by self. ok so let me describe my Jeep Model Jeep Wrangler (JL) 2018 april Model and i love travelling by jeep and i do jungle trains and mountain trails so sometimes i want to go without my hardtop. but to store hardtop and one of the biggest problem is to remove that. thanks in advance for helping me. and yeah i found good ideas from here... :clap2:

So you’re from Sierra Vista, AZ? I live 30 mins SE of there.

Ummm, are you selling hoists or looking for ideas? [emoji2371]

So you’re from Sierra Vista, AZ? I live 30 mins SE of there.

Ummm, are you selling hoists or looking for ideas? [emoji2371]

One of My Friend Made Hardtop Removal By self and i Purchased It Online from that website. that's Why i am suggesting,if you want to Buy than you can consider this site www.spam.com, But we both are still confused about it.:hmm:

USMC Wrangler

One of My Friend Made Hardtop Removal By self and i Purchased It Online from that website. that's Why i am suggesting,if you want to Buy than you can consider this site, But we both are still confused about it.:hmm:

You’re confused yet trying to direct traffic to your blog and your website, Stacy?

So do you live in Sierra Vista or not?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Biggest Headache to remove hardtop and store it specially when you have very small place in you garage. how much it will cost to DIY. is it safe? i also find some chepe hoist online. but which is best to buy online or to make by self. ok so let me describe my Jeep Model Jeep Wrangler (JL) 2018 april Model and i love travelling by jeep and i do jungle trains and mountain trails so sometimes i want to go without my hardtop. but to store hardtop and one of the biggest problem is to remove that. thanks in advance for helping me. and yeah i found good ideas from here... :clap2:

Nice screen name. In the immortal words of OverlanderJK...get fucked.

Clearly you didn’t read the rules and have no interest in being here other than to pimp yourself.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Biggest Headache to remove hardtop and store it specially when you have very small place in you garage. how much it will cost to DIY www.spam.com is it safe? i also find some chepe hoist online. but which is best to buy online or to make by self. ok so let me describe my Jeep Model Jeep Wrangler (JL) 2018 april Model and i love travelling by jeep and i do jungle trains and mountain trails so sometimes i want to go without my hardtop. but to store hardtop and one of the biggest problem is to remove that. thanks in advance for helping me. and yeah i found good ideas from here... :clap2:

Lots of jungles in AZ I hear. He must be legit [emoji849]

Top Bottom