7,099 Miles, 16 Days -- Towing an R-Pod 178 from Mississippi to California, and back.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The wife and I borrowed her grandfather's R-Pod 178, and towed it to California. I thought I'd share a few of the photographs I took.

If you intend to tow one, I'd advise you to regear, if your tires are larger than stock tires. I have a 2014 JKUR, automatic transmission, 35" tires, and 4.88 gears. I had a load leveling hitch, and anti-sway bar. Be sure to get a hitch the correct height.

Here is the travel trailer, all ready to go.
IMG_0384.jpg
IMG_0347.jpg

We left Madison, MS, and instead of going up to I-40, we turned southwest at Dallas and went down to I-10. We made our way to Tucson, that way. I didn't take many photos in Texas, but here we are in Pecos

IMG_0164.jpg
IMG_0196.jpg

You guys out west are lucky. This place is great, and the fries are awesome!
IMG_9722.jpg

We left Tucson, taking the southern route to take 8 into California. Totally unplanned, I finally got to see Saguaro cacti.
IMG_0037.jpg
IMG_0037.JPG

We stopped for gas, which happened often at an average of 10 mpg, in Gila Bend, AZ. We saw a dog park, where I'm sure my dog wouldn't poop. He'd have to bark at the dinosaurs.
IMG_0054.jpg
IMG_0474.jpg

Going through Yuma,AZ, I found an unexpected delight, just inside California. The Algodones Dunes. We snapped these from a rest stop, that is between the lanes of the highway, oddly.
IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_0299.jpg

We turned up 111 and went by the Salton Sea, which, to my surprise, is 226 feet below sea level. Not many pics, but here's a random shot of date palms growing, about 150 below sea level.
IMG_0352.jpg

The drive between Indio an Palm Spring was tough. There is a mountain pass to go through, and the wind was crazy! After staying the night in Banning, I met up with 10frank9 for a chat. It was a pleasure to meet you, Frank.
IMG_9750.jpg

We left Banning and travelled up I-5 past Bakersfield, on our way to the KOA at Watsonville/Santa Cruz. I have now seen more plum trees, than most people I know. I had no idea so much agriculture went on in the San Joaquin Valley.

This place in Santa Cruz had an awesome breakfast.
IMG_9781.jpg
IMG_9776.jpg
IMG_0130.jpg

My wife was excited to see the Pacific. We traveled up the Pacific Coast Highway, to San Francisco. She has relatives in SoCal, but had never seen the Ocean!
IMG_0175.jpg
IMG_0076.jpg
IMG_0108.jpg
IMG_9788.jpg

Coming into San Francisco.
IMG_9796.jpg
IMG_9797.jpg

Yes, I towed a travel trailer across the Golden Gate.
IMG_9799.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg

You see she had to buy a hoodie in Santa Cruz. She thought it was cold, on the coast.
IMG_0089.jpg

Pics of the Bay and Alcatraz.
IMG_0090.jpg
IMG_0060.jpg
IMG_0092.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg

Trying to get back on the PCH, we went through this pretty spot.
IMG_0285.jpg

We continued up Hwy 1, until Manchester. The KOA, there, was nice. The weather was cool and fine.
IMG_0098.jpg
IMG_0425.jpg

We left there, heading to Mt. Shasta City, and Garmin took us on one of the most crooked, steep, narrow roads, I've ever been on, that had two way traffic. I think it was 253. Here's a shot, looking over the ocean, before the road got too bad.
IMG_9806.jpg

Mt. Shasta. We stayed there, three nights. If I had it to do over, I'd have stayed in Manchester three nights, and skipped Mt. Shasta City. We did get to see Weed, CA, and drive into the Klamath National Forest a little.
IMG_0105.jpg
IMG_9833.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg
IMG_0109.jpg

I found Sasquatch in Happy Camp, I think it was.
IMG_0533.jpg

The last day there, we drove to Redwood National & State Parks.
IMG_0491.jpg
IMG_0116.jpg
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0124.jpg
IMG_9855.jpg
IMG_0462.jpg

We picnicked amongst giants.
IMG_0419.jpg

From there, we headed to Coleville, and a KOA with the nicest bathrooms, ever. On the way, we found the Shoe Tree on the 395, near Doyle, CA, I think.
IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_9864.jpg

From there, on to Carson City, NV, for a little get together. Oh, I WAS invited, by the way.
IMG_9866.jpg
IMG_0072.jpg

Jane looks more amazing, in person, than you can imagine!
IMG_9867.jpg

It was our pleasure to get to meet you, Eddie & Cindy!
IMG_0009.jpg

This happened, on the way to Yosemite.
fullsizeoutput_f47.jpg

Then, Yosemite. I'd like to spend more time there.
IMG_0175.jpg
IMG_0165.jpg
IMG_0267.jpg
IMG_0168.jpg
IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0171.jpg
IMG_0172.jpg
IMG_0173.jpg
IMG_0176.jpg
IMG_0179.jpg
IMG_0180.jpg
IMG_0190.jpg
IMG_0196.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg

Saw this jewel.
IMG_9876.jpg

We made it down to the valley, and Yosemite Community Church, erected in 1878. It is the oldest structure in Yosemite Valley.
IMG_0480.jpg
IMG_0222.jpg

You can see Yosemite Falls from the church.
IMG_0220.jpg
IMG_0221.jpg

Had a great cup of coffee, at the Sierra Retreat Motel, the next morning. It's located in Walker, just south of our spot at the KOA in Coleville, CA.
IMG_9870.jpg

We went to Lake Tahoe, and looked around. It's beautiful, but it was raining when we found a public beach you didn't have to pay to use, and I wasn't paying to snap a few photos, so no pics.

The part with the giant sequoias, in Yosemite, was closed, so we went to see some that were quite a distance, after leaving Tahoe. On the way, again, by accident, we found this.
IMG_0232.jpg
IMG_0233.jpg

Many of you should already know, that the Sutter's Mill gold discovery, started the Gold Rush of 1849. In 1848, James Marshall found gold, while working to increase the size of run below the water powered saw mill of his employer, John Sutter. Sutter had hoped to turn the area into a thriving community, based on lumber exports. Unfortunately for him, when word of the strike spread, his employees all ran off to find gold. Sutter, and Marshall died nearly penniless.
IMG_0234.jpg
IMG_0235.jpg
IMG_0237.jpg
IMG_0244.jpg
IMG_0253.jpg
IMG_0256.jpg
IMG_0257.jpg

We never saw Sequoias. It took until 7:00pm, to get to the site, which is way the heck into the Eldorado National Forest, past Loon Lake Campground. It's a 40 minute walk to see the trees. On the way out, Garmin had a short cut. Wrong. We drove for miles, to find out the road was out! We went out the way we came in, and wound up driving well over 100 miles in that park.

This is driving in California. They're working on every road!
IMG_0350.jpg

We left Coleville, after three nights, and traveled to Ely, NV, on Nevada Hwy 6, "The Loneliest Road in America." Nevada Hwy 50, holds the official claim to that title, but believe me, 6 is!

Benton Hot Springs, still in California.
IMG_0263.jpg
IMG_0264.jpg
IMG_0265.jpg

Humbolt National Forest.
IMG_0287.jpg
IMG_0363.jpg

Welcome to Nevada. Keep your California cows out!
IMG_9890.jpg

See what I mean by lonely.
IMG_0268.jpg
IMG_0270.jpg
IMG_0236.jpg

Open range.
IMG_0272.jpg

Tonopah, NV
IMG_0275.jpg
IMG_0276.jpg

We left Ely, NV, after one night, heading to Cortez, CO.

At the Nevada, Utah line.
IMG_9905.jpg
IMG_0292.jpg
IMG_0293.jpg

There's something you don't see every day.
IMG_9904.jpg

Spotted Wolf Canyon, Utah, on Hwy 50.
IMG_0306.jpg

Zoom in to see the highway.
IMG_0307.jpg
IMG_0308.jpg

Of course, going this way, we went through Moab, and near Arches and Canyonlands Parks. No pics, since it was a long drive with a trailer, and on to Cortez. We've got to go back to Moab.

Cortez, CO. Stayed two nights, and went to Mesa Verde, again. I've been four times, and still found stuff I hadn't seen.
IMG_0309.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg
IMG_0321.jpg
IMG_0494.jpg
IMG_0343.jpg
IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_9923.jpg

If you haven't seen Mesa Verde, it's really cool to see, if you are nearby. Had grub here, and it was great.
IMG_0165.jpg
IMG_9931.jpg
52290421288__EED17EC2-DF83-46F7-8101-724F55E9AAD4.jpg

Saw this at McDonald's in Cortez.
IMG_9921.jpg

From there, we started back. Nothing eventful,except the midpoint of Route 66, in Adrian, TX.

The Midpoint Cafe & Gift Shop. Sadly, it was closed and up for sale because the owner has health problems. It will probably go the way of everything on Route 66.
IMG_0248.jpg
IMG_0467.jpg
IMG_0578.jpg

And that's it. Trailer weighs 2,600, dry. The Jeep did fine,

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

JeepJeep75

Looks like you had a great trip! [emoji106] You made it to some great spots here too. You're right about the in n out burger. There is no other fast food nearly as delicious!

AZMikeD

The drive up the PCH between LA and San Francisco is absolutely beautiful. My wife and I did a road trip where we made several stops in between Santa Barbara and Monterey when she was pregnant with our first child. I would recommend everyone should try this drive sometime.

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my RS988 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
This is awesome! I was hoping you'd do a thread on your trip. This is one of the areas where we want to go when we finally find our trailer. Keep those pics coming

notnalc68

So cool! Looks like an awesome trip so far. I love it out west. It's so much more spread out than things here in the South.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looks like a fun trip.

Looks like you had a great trip! [emoji106] You made it to some great spots here too. You're right about the in n out burger. There is no other fast food nearly as delicious!

The drive up the PCH between LA and San Francisco is absolutely beautiful. My wife and I did a road trip where we made several stops in between Santa Barbara and Monterey when she was pregnant with our first child. I would recommend everyone should try this drive sometime.

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my RS988 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Great photos Clay! Looks like a great trip.

This is awesome! I was hoping you'd do a thread on your trip. This is one of the areas where we want to go when we finally find our trailer. Keep those pics coming

Thanks, fellas. I'm still working on the OP. I'm no story teller, like Eddie, but I hope everyone enjoys the photos. My wife enjoyed it so much, she wants a travel trailer! Time for a beer break.

Wow!!! What a road trip. Man if Id had known you came through town it would have been cool to meet up. I go to the beach everyday right next to that KOA you stayed at. Beach Street Cafe is great. Father and son making killer breakfasts.

notnalc68

Wow!!! What a road trip. Man if Id had known you came through town it would have been cool to meet up. I go to the beach everyday right next to that KOA you stayed at. Beach Street Cafe is great. Father and son making killer breakfasts.

That would have been cool. Yes, the Beach Street was great!

Top Bottom