TJ transmission advice

dunstan74

After everybody's input of what automatic transmission i should go with.

Planning on building a tj for wheeling that will mostly be rocks and slow technical trails. It will not be a daily driver so street performance really doesn't bother me.

I'm undecided on buying a older tj with a 3speed and pairing that with an atlas, or one with the 4speed and running a rubicrawler with the stock tcase.

Sent from my SM-G950F using WAYALIFE mobile app

PT1400

For me the biggest factor would be the initial drivetrains length and which axles you're going to use. How long your engine, trans, and t-case will be, will determine your TJ's balance front to rear and also how long your rear driveshaft will be.

I had to shorten my rear driveshaft by 3" when I went from the D35 to the D44 rear end. So that is something to think about.

Most of the serious crawlers around me have 3 speed autos w/ Atlas II's. Most of them are trailered to and from the trails. They like not having too many choices in gearing. Less confusion and usually a stronger trans.

The ones that drive to the trails have had to put in 23 gallon tanks or have a 4 speed trans. Your trail buddies might get a little anoid if they have to stop every 100 miles so you can get gas.

Top Bottom