Air in cooling system

The BAD Influence

Last night my daughter's 98 XJ overheated. From what I could tell the bottom radiator hose was leaking. I swapped that out, and a thermostat for good measure. Been working on it all day and can not get all the air out of the system. I've removed the heater hose from the thermostat housing and all I get is steam and a couple drops of fluid. Sitting idling, she stays right at 200 degrees.
My worst fear is that she blew the head gasket and it just keeps dumping air into the system. But just thought I'd ask, if anyone has any other thoughts or ideas.
Thanks,

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Last night my daughter's 98 XJ overheated. From what I could tell the bottom radiator hose was leaking. I swapped that out, and a thermostat for good measure. Been working on it all day and can not get all the air out of the system. I've removed the heater hose from the thermostat housing and all I get is steam and a couple drops of fluid. Sitting idling, she stays right at 200 degrees.
My worst fear is that she blew the head gasket and it just keeps dumping air into the system. But just thought I'd ask, if anyone has any other thoughts or ideas.
Thanks,

When your burping the system make sure you have the heater on as well. It will help push the air out. Just sit there and watch your fluid level as well and have the reserve tank filled as well to help fill the gaps

The BAD Influence

I let it cool down for a bit and started over. Heat on, heater hose off, overflow full. Started dumping water in the radiator and finally got fluid out of the thermostat housing. Not a good steady flow. Went on like this for several minutes. Going to let it cool a bit and give it another go.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Rent a block/hydrocarbon tester from parts store for free (10 bucks for the testing fluid) and then you'll know for sure. I would assume there are videos on YouTube showing how it works.

The BAD Influence

After the second go around, got a good flow coming out the thermastat housing. Buttoned everything up and went for a ride. Never got above 200 degress. But, no hot air blowing with heater on full blast (air is blowing, just cold) We've only had this Jeep for a couple months, so not sure if it ever worked, or if there's still an issue from the overheating.

WJCO

Meme King
After the second go around, got a good flow coming out the thermastat housing. Buttoned everything up and went for a ride. Never got above 200 degress. But, no hot air blowing with heater on full blast (air is blowing, just cold) We've only had this Jeep for a couple months, so not sure if it ever worked, or if there's still an issue from the overheating.

See if there's a heater control valve on one of the heater hoses. Using a laser thermometer, see if it's working.

Also check temperature of hoses right at the heater core. See if they're getting coolant through them.

The BAD Influence

See if there's a heater control valve on one of the heater hoses. Using a laser thermometer, see if it's working.

Also check temperature of hoses right at the heater core. See if they're getting coolant through them.

Good ideas. Thanks. Leaving for two weeks. As long as she can run without overheating, I'll have to get back to it another day.

Top Bottom