My 37" Tire Flew off while driving - Jeep JKU 2015

H20JNKY

Tire Flew off while driving!!! We are EXTREMELY lucky! I recently upgraded my brakes and rotors with the PowerStop kit (simple and in my price range). I am positive I torqued all my lugs down to 110 ft/lbs! I looked at my Procomp Rim lug holes, and they seem to be worn out (made wider). Then if you look at the G2 spacer I have 4 lugs with the same mark, as if they were all yanked off. I'll accept 100% responsibility if I forgot to torque my lugs, but I need help in determining if it could be soft Procomp lugs or G2 spacer bolts or any other scenario. I was going maybe 20 mph around a soft turn. Any help would be appreciated! Here is a video of it: https://youtu.be/fCaEfrBGeRI

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Good thing no one got hurt! I torque mine to 95 and have never had a problem. Did you lock tight those? I run Spiders as well and have about 127,000 on my rig. They look to be over-tightened.

RockyMtnJeep

30 years as a Jeep technician, unfortunately I have seen this a lot. That is classic example of improper torque. Wish I had better news for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H20JNKY

Good thing no one got hurt! I torque mine to 95 and have never had a problem. Did you lock tight those? I run Spiders as well and have about 127,000 on my rig. They look to be over-tightened.

The spacer never came off and I had red lock tight on the bolts for the spacer. No lock tight was used on the Pro Comp lugs.

WJCO

Meme King
How long ago was this work done? Looks VERY fresh. Where are the old lug nuts? Any chance they were incorrect? Too large? You would have noticed that while installing them though most likely.

H20JNKY

30 years as a Jeep technician, unfortunately I have seen this a lot. That is classic example of improper torque. Wish I had better news for you.

Maybe they were to loose?? I was always told 110 ft lbs. What's the proper torque?

H20JNKY

How long ago was this work done? Looks VERY fresh. Where are the old lug nuts? Any chance they were incorrect? Too large? You would have noticed that while installing them though most likely.

Spacers originally installed 20 months ago, then 2 weeks ago I installed new rotors and brakes. I did notice on the rear (Which are the G2 spacers, front are Spidertrax), when re -mounting the wheels that the pro comp lugs wanted to cross thread. I just purchased 2 new Spidertrax spacers to replace the G2's and bought brand new lugs as well.

WJCO

Meme King
Spacers originally installed 20 months ago, then 2 weeks ago I installed new rotors and brakes. I did notice on the rear (Which are the G2 spacers, front are Spidertrax), when re -mounting the wheels that the pro comp lugs wanted to cross thread. I just purchased 2 new Spidertrax spacers to replace the G2's and bought brand new lugs as well.

Sure seems like loose lug nuts. Especially since the threads are not damaged at the end. The only damage is where the wheel lug bores were rubbing on the studs near the mounting surface. While it is possible the lug nuts were incorrect, you should have felt that while torquing and likely even while starting them by hand. Regardless, at least it happened at a low speed and everyone is safe.

WJCO

Meme King
Maybe they were to loose?? I was always told 110 ft lbs. What's the proper torque?

Torque specs are 95 ft. Lbs. per the service manual

I've always done 95 as well. Good to know that's the magic number.

Don't be concerned with overtorque though. Wheels that come off with overtorque will have all five studs snapped off. This didn't occur in your case.

H20JNKY

I've always done 95 as well. Good to know that's the magic number.

Don't be concerned with overtorque though. Wheels that come off with overtorque will have all five studs snapped off. This didn't occur in your case.

Yep! I will be using the 95 as well from here on out. Thanks for the help!

jeeeep

Hooked

Tire Flew off while driving!!! We are EXTREMELY lucky! I recently upgraded my brakes and rotors with the PowerStop kit (simple and in my price range). I am positive I torqued all my lugs down to 110 ft/lbs! I looked at my Procomp Rim lug holes, and they seem to be worn out (made wider). Then if you look at the G2 spacer I have 4 lugs with the same mark, as if they were all yanked off. I'll accept 100% responsibility if I forgot to torque my lugs, but I need help in determining if it could be soft Procomp lugs or G2 spacer bolts or any other scenario. I was going maybe 20 mph around a soft turn. Any help would be appreciated! Here is a video of it: https://youtu.be/fCaEfrBGeRI

wow, glad everyone is ok and you were going somewhat slow.

really looks like torqueing them to 110 ft/lbs stripped the bolts as they bottomed out and drove the nut into the wheel too far - widening the wheel lug hole.

be sure to check all your other lug nuts for signs of stripped threads and widened wheel holes.

check the thickness of the widened wheel lug holes, if they do not have ample lug nut contact they could split and pull off the lug nuts with the heavier 37's

I'd avoid procomp lug nuts -personally I prefer the solid Gorilla splined lug nuts

A.J.

Lug nuts were not torqued. The reason there is aluminum on the threads and the lug holes look big is because it was wallowing around before it came off. Torque is not what holds the wheel on it is clamp force. Make sure whenever you install wheels with or without spacers that the surfaces are clean also. A little sand/rust/dirt between the back of the wheel it's mating surface can cause it to work loose even if it is properly torqued.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom