Batteries and suspension woes

Recurve

So I'm getting my Jeep ready for Jeep beach in ocean city here in a couple weeks. There has been stuff I been wanting to upgrade for awhile now and I figure now is a good time.

So I been having death wobble problems for a good while now. So much I stopped throwing money at my Jeep an walked away from it for awhile.

Of course I read all the death wobble stickies an info and went over everything . I replaced ball joints on one side , my other side is still good. I replaced both hubs with brand new ones.
I aligned my Jeep so it tracks straight.
I rotated my tires religiously an they have good tread left on them. They are not balanced but I don't get a constant shimmy from them (very smooth)
Don't have any uneven tire wear.

I torqued down everything from my track bar bolts to my tie rod and drag link, control arms etc.
my track bar is brand new as well.

I looked for cracks or any other loose bolts in the front end and nothing showed up.

The only outlining problem I clearly have is my stock steering box is junk . Leaks everywhere an It's loose.

Would this inevitable cause death wobble?

Any other thoughts/help would be great.

Also batteries . My yellow top optima has served me well for a good while but I finally need a new one.

It's the older American made ones when they were still good.
From what I remember optima isn't the battery to get anymore . So looking for a good quality battery what is the one to get these days?

Also why I'm on here, any recommendations for good tie rods / drag links?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I run X2 batteries, they are the rebranded Northstar batteries. Yup can pick them up at batteries plus. They are made in USA.

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
Sidenote about Jeep Beach... DO NOT go through the mud pits. that sandy shit ruins BJs and unit bearings. Also sandy mud will forever be under your jeep. Trust me lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, ALL batteries get old and need to be replace. If you really are still running an Optima that was made back when they were still a good company, you're LONG overdue for a new one. The best battery I've run to date is an Odyssey but they come at a steep price.

Second, you say that you only changed out one ball joint, insist your other one is good but still have death wobble. I could be going out on a limb here but replacing BOTH joints would be on my to do list.

Recurve

First off, ALL batteries get old and need to be replace. If you really are still running an Optima that was made back when they were still a good company, you're LONG overdue for a new one. The best battery I've run to date is an Odyssey but they come at a steep price.

Second, you say that you only changed out one ball joint, insist your other one is good but still have death wobble. I could be going out on a limb here but replacing BOTH joints would be on my to do list.

Oh you are right about the old battery lol. I know it's a good battery because I milked it out longer then I should have. It's 6 years old I think, maybe older.
So yeah it needed replaced no matter what battery it is.

What I meant to say is a replaced BOTH ball joints on one side of the axel.
Are you saying Replace the other two ball joints? I pried/wiggle with a huge digging bar an they had no play at all, also I replaced those not too long ago.

Recurve

Sidenote about Jeep Beach... DO NOT go through the mud pits. that sandy shit ruins BJs and unit bearings. Also sandy mud will forever be under your jeep. Trust me lol

lol yeah I agree, I read about the mud pitts. I want nothing to do with those at all. Mud just isn't my thing.
I still want to at least take my Jeep out on the beach though.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
My wife and I did beach week last year, had a good time and yes I would avoid the mud hole unless you are really into mud, they were deep and nasty looking. So many Jeep's that if you try to Jeep wave them all you will have a sore arm after the first day.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I run X2 batteries, they are the rebranded Northstar batteries. Yup can pick them up at batteries plus. They are made in USA.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh you are right about the old battery lol. I know it's a good battery because I milked it out longer then I should have. It's 6 years old I think, maybe older.
So yeah it needed replaced no matter what battery it is.

What I meant to say is a replaced BOTH ball joints on one side of the axel.
Are you saying Replace the other two ball joints? I pried/wiggle with a huge digging bar an they had no play at all, also I replaced those not too long ago.

Unless you used a dial indicator to verify the amount of movement you are seeing, there's no way you could tell that a ball joint is bad enough to cause death wobble. I mean, if you can see movement, the joints are toast but you don't need them to get to that point to cause death wobble.

Radial (side-to-side) movement in the upper ball joint should not exceed 0.060" (1.5mm).
Axial (up and down) movement in the lower ball joint should not exceed 0.050" (1.25mm).

Recurve

Unless you used a dial indicator to verify the amount of movement you are seeing, there's no way you could tell that a ball joint is bad enough to cause death wobble. I mean, if you can see movement, the joints are toast but you don't need them to get to that point to cause death wobble.

Radial (side-to-side) movement in the upper ball joint should not exceed 0.060" (1.5mm).
Axial (up and down) movement in the lower ball joint should not exceed 0.050" (1.25mm).

Okay , I have a dial indicator . I will check when I get home.
Also would a shot steering box cause any or relate to death wobble issues ?
Thanks again Eddie.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I know you want the new psc box, but if you just want my old one that has 10k on it I have it sitting in my garage. At least its better than a leaking one.

Top Bottom