So ... my 3.8 blew a hole in engine block on Sunday.

TRAILN

Decisions, Decisions ....

Do I go the 'easy' road and replace with another 3.8 or go the 'hard' road drop in an LS?

Living in Australia is great ... but the cost of Jeep parts is a killer. Local wrecker wants $6000+ for a recon bare long 3.8.

Haven't dared to call my local Jeep dealer .... although I might, just for shits n giggles.

Local wreckers sell a complete 5.7LS with 4 speed auto for around $2500. But I know there's a mountain of other bits needed to make it work in my 2008 JK Unlimited ... But I'd end up with a V8!

Question is ... Is it really feasible to drop in the LS and 4 speed auto (is it all actually going to work)?

How big a job is this?

I'm not afraid to get my hands greasy and time is not a real big issue.

I've heard there were issues with getting the ABS/ESC etc to work properly due to the can-bus not liking the new motor.

Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Decisions, Decisions ....

Do I go the 'easy' road and replace with another 3.8 or go the 'hard' road drop in an LS?

Living in Australia is great ... but the cost of Jeep parts is a killer. Local wrecker wants $6000+ for a recon bare long 3.8.

Haven't dared to call my local Jeep dealer .... although I might, just for shits n giggles.

Local wreckers sell a complete 5.7LS with 4 speed auto for around $2500. But I know there's a mountain of other bits needed to make it work in my 2008 JK Unlimited ... But I'd end up with a V8!

Question is ... Is it really feasible to drop in the LS and 4 speed auto (is it all actually going to work)?

How big a job is this?

I'm not afraid to get my hands greasy and time is not a real big issue.

I've heard there were issues with getting the ABS/ESC etc to work properly due to the can-bus not liking the new motor.

Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using WAYALIFE mobile app

contact MOTECH http://lswrangler.com/index.html

they are working on an easy install conversion kit http://lswrangler.com/easy-install.html

they can also hook you up with their other install kits depending on your needs :thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The 5.7 and 4l60/80e are a good pairing! Used that combo for years in trucks and large suv's.

I say drop the LS in and give motech a call for the harness

madstiles

Ls Integrated to the Jeep = expensive. Stand alone non integrated = 1/3 the cost . Their is a company the sells a stroked 3.8 for reasonable price but I don't have a clue on shipping. Sucks prices are crazy there. The local yard here has 3.8 for about 800ish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

Ls Integrated to the Jeep = expensive. Stand alone non integrated = 1/3 the cost . Their is a company the sells a stroked 3.8 for reasonable price but I don't have a clue on shipping. Sucks prices are crazy there. The local yard here has 3.8 for about 800ish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Correct. 505 Performance sells a 3.8 stroker kit that bumps the displacement to 4.0. I don't know much about the company though. If I recall, JP Magazine built one of their 3.8 strokers a few years back and had awesome results from it as far as performance increase is concerned, but there was no word on its reliability or longevity.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I vote LS. $6000.00 is crazy to spend on a 3.8.

Correct. 505 Performance sells a 3.8 stroker kit that bumps the displacement to 4.0. I don't know much about the company though. If I recall, JP Magazine built one of their 3.8 strokers a few years back and had awesome results from it as far as performance increase is concerned, but there was no word on its reliability or longevity.

505 is a good company, as far as I know. We swapped their 4.9 stroker kit into a YJ that we pulled a 4.0 out of. Literally dropped right in with no issues. I believe my buddy had some issues with the motor but the company took care of him right away and had new parts sent out. Overall, the motor was a beast.

BlackKnight

Contact Cummings Repower and get a brand new Drop in Crate Disel engine... I'ts what I'd do, Unless I could build a 4BT-6BT on my own...

aTX427

Man, if you were in the states, your could drop in a remanned engine from a recycler for a couple grand and call it a day.

jeeeep

Hooked

IMO I wouldn't try to performance build a 3.8, not worth investment.

I'd rather spend the money on something that parts can be easily purchased or shop repaired anywhere.

Top Bottom