Question 2 door vs 4 door

frow

I have seen a lot of debate in regards to pro's and con's on 2 door vs 4 door. I am curious from any 4 door jeep owners perspective if you didn't need the extra room for kids, cargo, etc. would you still have chosen a 4 door vs. a 2 door? Other than cargo and highway ride does the 4 door have any advantage over the 2 door off road? It is just my wife and I looking to buy a new jeep so we can get off the grid. Thank you all for your input.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I personally love the short wheelbase of my 2-door. That being said, if I bought a JK I would have a really hard time deciding between the 2 and 4 door model. The 4 door is nice because of all the extra room, and if you stuff a big enough tire under there, the long wheelbase is going to make it feel a lot more stable. Really it's just all personal preference. I would drive both and see which you like better. If it's just you & your wife, you should have plenty of room in a 2-door!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen a lot of debate in regards to pro's and con's on 2 door vs 4 door. I am curious from any 4 door jeep owners perspective if you didn't need the extra room for kids, cargo, etc. would you still have chosen a 4 door vs. a 2 door? Other than cargo and highway ride does the 4 door have any advantage over the 2 door off road? It is just my wife and I looking to buy a new jeep so we can get off the grid. Thank you all for your input.

I have owned and wheeled CJ's, TJ's and a 2-Door JK. While I loved them all, there is no question in my book that there are very few instances where a short wheel base Jeep has an advantage over a 4-Door JK and in most cases, a 4-Door is far superior especially with slight modifications.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I have owned and wheeled CJ's, TJ's and a 2-Door JK. While I loved them all, there is no question in my book that there are very few instances where a short wheel base Jeep has an advantage over a 4-Door JK and in most cases, a 4-Door is far superior especially with slight modifications.

Black Bear Pass is a little more comfortable in a 2 door! Lol

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
If I were single or building a more offroad only rig, I would start with a two door maybe. Depending on what I planned to do with it I may even start with just a pile of tubing instead and build something. The four door is nice even though it's just the wife and I. I have a Tuffy deck lid and carry all my tools and all of my recovery gear all the time. I seem to use it often. I've been at work plenty of times and left from work to go winch something up into a trailer or use my tools to help fix something. If I had to run home and get stuff first, I would've killed time and money just driving home and back to wherever I'm going. So we've used the back seats to put stuff a lot because of the deck being in the back. If we had kids though I would prob have to do something different. A two door to me becomes a two person vehicle. Take the back seat out and leave it in your garage. Then use the back to store everything. So some of it is personal preference. If you are looking used, prices are about the same usually but not always. New the four door will be a little more but not bad.

Offroad it depends where you are sometimes. Watch the WAYALIFE videos on their YouTube channel. It seems like there are very few places the two doors do better than the four doors really. You will see some stretched two doors also so they start getting close to the wheelbase of the four door anyways, they just have less body.

I'd love to have a two door to do some playing in and drive everyday and stick the wife in the four door. I still like the looks of the two doors, specially the JKs. But we will prob never get a two door.

Like I said, I think it just depends on what kind of wheeling you are doing, where you are going, and what all or who all you are going to take with you.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

I love two doors (I've had 3), but he's right. The length can be more of an advantage, than a disadvantage. You can get a lot more stuff in a four door, too.

WJCO

Meme King
I think it's funny he is buying the Jeep to get off the grid, but is using an internet forum as a resource for that. No judgement, just funny.

jeffj

Caught the Bug

I agree with Eddie, there really is no comparison, on or off-road.

desertrunner

I have had both now a 2dr and 4dr JK, haven't had the opportunity yet to wheel the 2dr like I did my 4dr but the off road capability of the 2 was addressed by others already. On just the cargo room standpoint I have the rear seats removed in my 2 door and I can't ever find a sceniro in which I would put them back in. The only way for me to carry as much stuff that I like to carry with me for camping and wheeling trips is to either leave the back seats removed or get a hitch and roof rack which I really don't want to be that top heavy. So if you go 2dr and are cool with it being only a 2 seater it has a pretty decent amount of room, but with that said if I were to buy a 3rd JK it would be a 4dr only because I have to get creative sometimes packing the 2 Dr and I know I'm only going to acquire more gear as life goes on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jeep Reloaded

I've only had the 2DRs, never really considered the 4DR because it just doesn't appeal to me. As far as wheeling goes I can't see much difference. Longer wheel base usually can't turn quite as tight or get quite the same pinnacle clearance - but the numbers are negligible. CJ5ers and CJ7ers had similar debates and opinions back in the day. For city driving the 2DR is much easier to park and doesn't get mistaken for a soccer mom SUV.

Howdy from Texas!
'76 CJ-5 V8 Renegade (grey Levi's), retired.
'14 JK Sport 2DR (Black), weekend fun.

Last edited:

Wethy

You forgot about one thing Eddie. The cool factor is higher in a 2dr. Ha ha just kidding, but i do agree with what youve said.

In my case i liked the 2dr and have no need for a 4dr as i never have the back seats in so there is more room. Now if i had kids id have gotten a 4dr from the get go(and will probably get one when/if i do) and they do look better when theyre modified than a 2dr. The only real con i could think of for a 2dr vs 4dr is there are more doors to store/remove and a longer/slightly heavier hard top so youd need more room for that than a 2dr.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
4 door hands down for me. I've followed 2 doors on trails a few times and while I had to back up a couple times to complete a turn or two that it didn't, that's not even close enough of a reason to not consider a 4 dr over a 2 dr. The highway ride is better and I love the cargo space in back. I've been running without the rear seat most of the Summer and its really handy for hauling stuff that way. I've got the process of installing/taking out the seats down to about 15-20 minutes so its pretty easy to do.

CarolinaJK

As I throw more and more money into my two door, I wish that I had started with a JKU. Just the fact that you have so much extra space is worth it to me. Plus my buddies with four doors can follow me up the same trails just as well, if not better.

Sahara_Maverick

My decision for the JKU was relatively easy because of my son.
However, as I use it on trails I agree that there are really very few instances where a 2 doors would have an advantage. I have been in many rides and have yet to see one where a 4 doors did not fit where a 2 doors did.
And add the extra stability and comfort on the normal roads, I would buy a 4 doors even if single.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
The only argument I have for a 2-door is that I don't want to see them die out :grayno: I just like them. If you have a large enough tire the 4-door will out perform the 2-door and the space would be nice, but come on... a 2-door has... 2-doors...

RedPool

I have both 2DR and 4DR. From personal experience, with the exception tighter turns, I see no advantage in the 2dr over a 4dr of similar build. I did see a couple of JKUs hang up on a man made dirt mound that a JK cleared easier, but never on an actual trail. A JKU does provide a much better storage solution when you need to bring more gear/supplies for those longer trips. If I had knew then what I know now, I honestly would have went with a pair of JKUs.

BaddestCross

2-door guy here.... No regrets. I drove both the 4 and the 2 when I was making my purchase decision, and I actually felt the 2 door was more stable on the highway. Maybe it was just the way those particular Jeeps were setup because I was surprised as well.

My kids were gone when we bought it so we didn't feel like we needed the extra seats. I usually run without them but I did install a roof rack for when I may need extra capacity for people and gear.

Personally, I wanted the 2 door for the heritage factor. A 4 door Jeep just doesn't feel right to me.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I considered a 2 door because of price and maneuverability but decided against it because I wanted space for my dogs, Collies don't fit in a 2 door comfortably and I already have a TJ so I just wanted something roomier and different. Besides the built up 4 doors just look cool.

tgoss

I completely trash canned the rear seats, better utilized for tool and beer storage. However the wheelbase is exactly why I have a 4 door.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I like my iconic 2 door. Just my wife, dog and I. Besides,. Mods cost more on a 4 door. Now, a 4 door when built up looks as sweet as a 2 door. Stock looks like a grocery getting tall station wagon!

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom