Vibration when accelerating

15FireCrackerJK

Started getting a pretty good vibration when I start to accelerate above 30 mph gets worse the higher speed I go till about 70 then starts to be less. I'm running 37s do have aftermarket ball joints and 1350 Driveshafts. Have not gone wheeling since I put the lift on with the upgrades. I do have wheel spacers as well. Any thoughts on where I should start? Im Running 28psi currently I don't think that would be the issue as that's what I've been running and it just started today. The vibration does seem to stop when I let off the gas. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

How much lift, and when? If you didn't adjust anything else, you could have a crap angle now.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BobNH

Ah, then I'm tapped out lol. Though my final suggestion is to go make sure all your lug nuts are properly tightened.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

aTX427

Isn't if you feel the vibration under acceleration you don't have enough pinion angle and if under braking, you have too much?

jeeeep

Hooked
They adjusted the pinion angle when they put the lift, it came with adjustable control arms.

they? i'd pull the front driveshaft as suggested but you should also check the angle.

this will show you how easy it is to check:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

also, have you pulled the wheels off to make sure the spacers are tight and none of the OEM stud bolts are sticking out past the spacer? if the bolts that hold the spacer stick beyond out even the slightest the wheels will not sit flush.

and last, get your wheels balanced. I've lost balance weights when wheeling - clip weights fall off the easiest but I've lost stick-on weights as well.

what kind of tires are you running? I've found mud tires are the worst for what seems like sudden changes in handling once they wear to a certain point, the softer the compound the faster they wear.

15FireCrackerJK

they? i'd pull the front driveshaft as suggested but you should also check the angle.

this will show you how easy it is to check:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

also, have you pulled the wheels off to make sure the spacers are tight and none of the OEM stud bolts are sticking out past the spacer? if the bolts that hold the spacer stick beyond out even the slightest the wheels will not sit flush.

and last, get your wheels balanced. I've lost balance weights when wheeling - clip weights fall off the easiest but I've lost stick-on weights as well.

what kind of tires are you running? I've found mud tires are the worst for what seems like sudden changes in handling once they wear to a certain point, the softer the compound the faster they wear.
The shop that installed the lift said they adjusted the pinion angle so everything would line up. I'm just hoping it's the tires that aren't balanced correctly. Then I'll check the spacers if that doesn't correct the problem. Then pull the front drive shaft if I pull the front drive safe and it stops is that a bad drive shaft or something to do with the ponion. I might check on everything this weekend do some maintenance. The tires I'm running are the Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.5 R17. They have about 4000 miles on them.

jeeeep

Hooked
The shop that installed the lift said they adjusted the pinion angle so everything would line up. I'm just hoping it's the tires that aren't balanced correctly. Then I'll check the spacers if that doesn't correct the problem. Then pull the front drive shaft if I pull the front drive safe and it stops is that a bad drive shaft or something to do with the ponion. I might check on everything this weekend do some maintenance. The tires I'm running are the Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.5 R17. They have about 4000 miles on them.

if after checking everything else you still have the issue, double check the caster angle and remove the DS.

if removing the DS solves the issue and the caster angle is correct, the DS may just be out of balance. Take it to a driveline shop and have it checked/balanced.

last time I had my DS rebalanced it cost me $100 - they even reinstalled it for me.

15FireCrackerJK

Well after getting the tires balanced I was driving away and the vibration started right away again. Drove about 5 minutes and the rear driveshaft feel off from the transfer case end. Bolts must have vibrates loose. Left this damage:

IMG_20170819_123306_340.jpg
20170818_170302.jpg
20170819_122708.jpg

Not happy at all. Shop must have not put lock tight when they installed it with the lift. So that was bummer drive shaft was okay tho. Even called Adams Driveshafts to see what size of bolt is was and they said if I couldn't find the correct one to call them up and they would just send me some so shout out to them for the awesome customer service. Not happy with the shop tho. Now my EVP skid is bent so much it's touching the exhaust now. And yes I do routine maintenance on my Jeep but just got all this stuff installed and I haven't even taken it out wheeling yet. So hopefully they make it right. So just make sure all nuts are tight lol

WJCO

Meme King
Locktite or not, seems like the bolts were left loose. That shop should pay for fixing this shit.

jeeeep

Hooked
Sucks it fell out and damaged the skid, would the damage been worse had the skid not been there?

Hopefully you can remove the skid and hammer back to shape

I had my rear DS bolts loosen in the same place but after about 2yrs of having it on there. luckily I caught them before they fell out -I had not used Loctite.

I had a clunk for awhile and I had even crawled under, grabbed hold of the DS but no movement.

I never physically checked the bolts but when I did, a couple of them were just a couple of threads away from falling out and I was able to remove all them with just my fingers.

I made sure to put Loctite on them when I tightened them up.

15FireCrackerJK

Sucks it fell out and damaged the skid, would the damage been worse had the skid not been there?

Hopefully you can remove the skid and hammer back to shape

I had my rear DS bolts loosen in the same place but after about 2yrs of having it on there. luckily I caught them before they fell out -I had not used Loctite.

I had a clunk for awhile and I had even crawled under, grabbed hold of the DS but no movement.

I never physically checked the bolts but when I did, a couple of them were just a couple of threads away from falling out and I was able to remove all them with just my fingers.

I made sure to put Loctite on them when I tightened them up.
Yea the damage would have been a lot worse I think the skids took the hit. If they weren't there I think it would have put a holler in the gas tank and busted the EVP it's self so at least they where there, but now my EVP skid is pretty much junk and I have a big gash on my driveshaft and a big dent in my gas tank skid. Hopefully the shop makes it right.

Top Bottom