Editing my post to put a female emoji in its place doesn't leave much for speculation

tgoss

Do you HAVE to weld the mounts onto the skins or can they be ran as a bolt on as well?

Stumbled on this, in regards to the body mounted evo carrier you are NOT to weld on the carrier mounts to the corners. You have to bolt them in, that's where it gets the strength because you are utilizing the tub of the jeep to support the weight not just riveted corner guards.

Now. As to running a spare or not outside of the jeep.... this is where I'm second guessing myself as well. I hit my evo carrier hard and now it's unfortunately bent bad enough I can't close it without ratchet straps. Pretty bummed and might consider moving my spare inside but I honestly can say it likely saved me from a nasty flop and took the hit like a champ. No body damage at all. Any other carrier combo and it could have been ugly.

But like you I have nothing but time on my hands to figure that one out.

Originally posted on this thread:
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/47560-Bed-mounted-spare-or-none-at-all

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Now. As to running a spare or not outside of the jeep.... this is where I'm second guessing myself as well. I hit my evo carrier hard and now it's unfortunately bent bad enough I can't close it without ratchet straps. Pretty bummed and might consider moving my spare inside but I honestly can say it likely saved me from a nasty flop and took the hit like a champ. No body damage at all. Any other carrier combo and it could have been ugly.

If you play on a tough line, hit your rocker guard hard enough that it bent but prevented you from taking a nasty flop, I seriously doubt you'd be bummed enough to consider removing them. Forget any other tire carrier combo, sounds to me like NOT having what you have now would have put you on your lid.

tgoss

If you play on a tough line, hit your rocker guard hard enough that it bent but prevented you from taking a nasty flop, I seriously doubt you'd be bummed enough to consider removing them. Forget any other tire carrier combo, sounds to me like NOT having what you have now would have put you on your lid.

I'm not saying it did or it didn't. Just speculating/justifying like we all do. It simply hit at that spot, hard to say if I didn't have that carrier if I would have missed it all completely and just kept up my line or if it did actually save my ass.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying it did or it didn't. Just speculating/justifying like we all do. It simply hit at that spot, hard to say if I didn't have that carrier if I would have missed it all completely and just kept up my line or if it did actually save my ass.

LOL!! And I'm sure you could say that about rocker guards or even skid plates. Hard to say if you'd hit them on a hard line and whether or not if you would have completely missed them or if they would have saved your ass if you were to just keep your line. :crazyeyes:

USMC Wrangler

That looks cheap and easy - I like it.

View attachment 271077

This is another great idea. Not that I was apposed to buying another tire carrier, I was just did't want to buy... another tire carrier.

Hey! I recognize that rear end! [emoji23] The upside down 5 1/4" drop works well with the stock carrier and 35's. The tailgate can still be opened but it does require pulling the drawbar to accomplish. For the price it's functional and has taken a few hits without any issues so far.

tgoss

LOL!! And I'm sure you could say that about rocker guards or even skid plates. Hard to say if you'd hit them on a hard line and whether or not if you would have completely missed them or if they would have saved your ass if you were to just keep your line. :crazyeyes:

You're right. I could say a lot of things about my jeep and how the parts work/don't work that I spend my money on and/or the way that I build and use it.... but like you always love to say, I'm just a silly little mall crawler so what would I know. 🤷🏼*♂️

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You're right. I could say a lot of things about my jeep and how the parts work/don't work that I spend my money on and/or the way that I build and use it.... but like you always love to say, I'm just a silly little mall crawler so what would I know. ����*♂️

I'm not saying having full doors, an a-pillar, a b-pillar or even mirrors did or it didn't cause Moby to lay into the side of this obstacle. Just speculating/justifying like we all do. It simply hit at that spot, hard to say if we didn't have have all that stuff on if Moby would have missed it all completely.

attachment.php

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but removing things just because they get hit on the trail is just plain silly. If that really is the logic to follow, you wouldn't have a Jeep to wheel. :crazyeyes:

tgoss

I'm not saying having full doors, an a-pillar, a b-pillar or even mirrors did or it didn't cause Moby to lay into the side of this obstacle. Just speculating/justifying like we all do. It simply hit at that spot, hard to say if we didn't have have all that stuff on if Moby would have missed it all completely.

attachment.php

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but removing things just because they get hit on the trail is just plain silly. If that really is the logic to follow, you wouldn't have a Jeep to wheel. :crazyeyes:

Well I hope you don't take this the wrong way either but editing my post to put a female emoji in its place doesn't leave much for speculation at all. Kudos to maturity. [emoji1360]

And truly, if you can avoid damage, why wouldn't you? I guess my whole goal isn't to completely fuck my rig up so I must be doing it wrong.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I hope you don't take this the wrong way either but editing my post to put a female emoji in its place doesn't leave much for speculation at all. Kudos to maturity. [emoji1360]

LOL, what? "female emoji"?? Honestly, I haven't a clue as to what you're referring to. If I really did "edit" your post, it would say as much along with a time stamp. Funny, I don't see either. Doesn't leave much for speculation about where you're coming from at all. Kudos to maturity :thumb:

And truly, if you can avoid damage, why wouldn't you? I guess my whole goal isn't to completely fuck my rig up so I must be doing it wrong.

Like I said, if you can avoid damaging your rocker guards and skid plates, you should probably remove them too. :yup:

As far as carrying a big ass full size spare inside my Jeep goes, I guess carrying tools, spare parts and fluids to help fix myself and others who fuck up their rig is a more important goal than damaging a tire carrier. Clearly, I must be the one who's doing it wrong.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

:thinking: Your post hasn't been edited. I checked.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Not to be a dick but you drove that obstacle with entirely too much throttle. I've seen that obstacle done and done it a lot of times. It doesn't need to be hammered like you did. Take that how you want but I've seen hits a lot harder than yours and we were able to get the carrier to close with some tweaking.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:thinking: Your post hasn't been edited. I checked.

Not saying he did or didn't put the offending emoji in his post. Just speculating/justifying that there's no way he could have put it there by mistake and so I must have been the one who did it. It simply hit that spot, hard to say if he didn't have fat fingers that the offending emoji would have been missed completely. Still, best to just kept up his line and say that I did it so that it saves his ass while trying to make me look like one. :rolleyes2:

tgoss

LOL, what? "female emoji"?? Honestly, I haven't a clue as to what you're referring to. If I really did "edit" your post, it would say as much along with a time stamp. Funny, I don't see either. Doesn't leave much for speculation about where you're coming from at all. Kudos to maturity :thumb:

Like I said, if you can avoid damaging your rocker guards and skid plates, you should probably remove them too. :yup:

As far as carrying a big ass full size spare inside my Jeep goes, I guess carrying tools, spare parts and fluids to help fix myself and others who fuck up their rig is a more important goal than damaging a tire carrier. Clearly, I must be the one who's doing it wrong.

Never said you were doing anything wrong/right. I actually admitted I'm the one who is doing all of this wrong. If I'm hitting something on my rig that I can avoid doing over it gives me something to consider in the future. I commented on this thread because I could offer my own experience with a product in question.

tgoss

Not to be a dick but you drove that obstacle with entirely too much throttle. I've seen that obstacle done and done it a lot of times. It doesn't need to be hammered like you did. Take that how you want but I've seen hits a lot harder than yours and we were able to get the carrier to close with some tweaking.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I don't see how that's being a dick offering your opinion. My trans gave out half way up, I decided to stay into the throttle and get over it. My carrier is the unfortunately casualty of that decision. You calling the obvious isn't being a dick at all.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug

FYI the forum doesnt register some of the newish iphone emojis.
Case in point, the male *shrug* emoji... 🤷*♂️

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Never said you were doing anything wrong/right. I actually admitted I'm the one who is doing all of this wrong. If I'm hitting something on my rig that I can avoid doing over it gives me something to consider in the future. I commented on this thread because I could offer my own experience with a product in question.

Never said you said I was. I was just admitting that maybe I'm the one who's doing all of this wrong. So much about wheeling ends up about hitting things on my rig like rocker guards, skid plates, bumpers and even tire carriers. At least, that's been the case in my limited experience. Perhaps it is I who should be considering removing all of them to help prevent hitting them in the future.

BTW - I like how you completely glossed over your slanderous accusations about what you claimed I did. :crazyeyes:

My trans gave out half way up, I decided to stay into the throttle and get over it. My carrier is the unfortunately casualty of that decision.

In other words, YOUR decision is what caused the damage to your tire carrier - NOT the tire carrier itself.

FYI the forum doesnt register some of the newish iphone emojis.
Case in point, the male *shrug* emoji... 🤷*♂️

Thank you for shedding some light on things.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fair enough, my sincere apologies.

LOL!! Nice of you to apologize to Clay instead of to me directly. But really, you can keep the apology as I now have a better understanding of what you truly believe about me. :yup:

tgoss

Never said you said I was. I was just admitting that maybe I'm the one who's doing all of this wrong. So much about wheeling ends up about hitting things on my rig like rocker guards, skid plates, bumpers and even tire carriers. At least, that's been the case in my limited experience. Perhaps it is I who should be considering removing all of them to help prevent hitting them in the future.

BTW - I like how you completely glossed over your slanderous accusations about what you claimed I did. :crazyeyes:

In other words, YOUR decision is what caused the damage to your tire carrier - NOT the tire carrier itself.

Thank you for shedding some light on things.

Eddie, I apologized above and ate crow. What else would you like me to say? I saw something different than what I know I posted and called it as I saw it. I assumed wrong. I'm sure if you saw something of the like you wouldn't just glaze over it yourself. I said my piece and moved forward, I found no reason to continue an argument over it.

In my first response to you I openly said it's my rig and my property. I offered a situation where the carrier was damaged, I said it may have even possibly saved me from and ugly flop, I also offered devils advocate that i possibly could have come through unscathed if it wasn't there. Simply put, isn't that what open forum discussions are for?

How things construe themselves to a pissing match over what parts should or shouldn't be on your rig that's up to you. I could care less, I don't pay for it or wheel it. This was my experience on this particular subject.

Top Bottom