Help with new squeak please, 2008 jk

BobNH

Hopefully the vid posts, but basically it is a squeak when moving steering wheel back and forth, bit mainly from neutral position. If I turn past about half a turn in either direction, it goes away. I thought maybe ball joint because it seems to come from that area, but I just rotated my tires and checked borh sides and cannot find it. I have zero movement axial or radial, jacked up and pry bar test.
Any input is appreciated, and like I said, hopefully the video I am trying to post works....
Nope,.tapatalk won't upload it.
K, fixed it, except posted below lol. And maybe more a creak than a squeak

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Spray some lithium grease on the boot where the steering shaft goes through the firewall. Start there.

BobNH

Spray some lithium grease on the boot where the steering shaft goes through the firewall. Start there.
Ah, good call, I'll try that. It was damn hot and muggy when I was trying to track it down, I hadn't consdidered I might be hearing it through the inner liner.

BobNH

Well crap, that wasn't either. But I did whote lith the entire thing though lol. I really hate these ungreasable front end parts. It is wierd, strictly about 1/4 turn from neutral center, moreso to drivers than passenger. I can make it creak longer turning slowly, but still not much past 1/2 a turn.

WJCO

Meme King
I bet it's going to be something simple. My upper track bar bushing make a kinda similar noise, but it has aftermarket bushings. I would have someone else turn the wheel while you put your hand on various steering parts. You should be able to feel where the noise is coming from.

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
It's a Jeep, embrace the squeak, buy stock in grease. (That said)
What WJCO stated.

Courtesy is given. Respect is Earned.

Top Bottom