EVO Protek Skids

J

JKDream

Been eyeing these up for awhile but never really ran into an instance where I needed them.
Certainly enough I smacked my oil pan pretty good today and dented the shit out of it.
I don't really need the crossmember skid - can you run just the oil pan/transmission?
I can't find any install instructions on the kit - so I figured I'd ask before I put an order in.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Been eyeing these up for awhile but never really ran into an instance where I needed them.
Certainly enough I smacked my oil pan pretty good today and dented the shit out of it.
I don't really need the crossmember skid - can you run just the oil pan/transmission?
I can't find any install instructions on the kit - so I figured I'd ask before I put an order in.

Yes you can run the oil and trans skid without the crossmember skid. Also the install is very simple. Wayalife did a write up on the install in the write up section of the forum

J

JKDream

Yes you can run the oil and trans skid without the crossmember skid. Also the install is very simple. Wayalife did a write up on the install in the write up section of the forum

Sweet! Thanks man.
I'll check out for that write up.
Didn't want to order the kit to find out it doesn't work without it.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Sweet! Thanks man.
I'll check out for that write up.
Didn't want to order the kit to find out it doesn't work without it.

Yea it's not needed, that's why they sell all the pieces individually so you can pick and choose what you need/want to run.

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug

I got the skids mainly to protect the transmission crossover line from getting snagged on something. The skids provide peace of mind.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
That cross over pipe is way too vulnerable left open like that. I hit that area several times in French Creek. Collapsing that cross over pipe would cripple the Jeep unless you carry a Sawzall.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I plan on getting one soon. I do carry a sawzall but don't want to cut it lol. I won't be running any trails until I run the rubicon end of September. It's on the list of parts to get.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
i put off skid plates until i hit my transmission on a rock. also caught my cross pip and almost pinched it closed. i would recommend the whole system.

JeepJeep75

I have the all three skids on mine. I've hit all of them to. I managed to mangle the exhaust crossover skid enough to where I couldn't bolt it back up to the jeep. IMG_9430.jpg There was zero damage done to the exhaust pipe, or the jeep. So, I replaced it with another new one. It did its job, and it'll do it again I'm sure.

J

JKDream

I have the all three skids on mine. I've hit all of them to. I managed to mangle the exhaust crossover skid enough to where I couldn't bolt it back up to the jeep. View attachment 273508 There was zero damage done to the exhaust pipe, or the jeep. So, I replaced it with another new one. It did its job, and it'll do it again I'm sure.

Good to know. I've always thought the exhaust crossovers was ridiculous. Might add that to the list at a later date. Didn't grab it for now as I don't think it works with long arms?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

On another note, the transmission skid: where it bolts to the transmission mounting plate - does it go under the plate or over top of it? I couldn't tell in the write up or instructions. I would assume over top as it mentions not to lift the plate high enough that it clears the studs.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

GraniteCrystal

On another note, the transmission skid: where it bolts to the transmission mounting plate - does it go under the plate or over top of it? I couldn't tell in the write up or instructions. I would assume over top as it mentions not to lift the plate high enough that it clears the studs.

Yeah, I think it slides between the two. I can get pics of mine if needed.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Instead of the crossmember skid you can just run the factory skid bar found on autos. It does a great job of protecting the exhaust crossover and doesn't trap much mud or other junk like a full skid

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I would ditch the cross member skid and just get an HD replacement cross member. Your transmission will still be protected along with its exposed cooler line and really, the only thing that will get hit a bit from time to time is maybe your exhaust cross over and that's no big deal. This is what I've been running on Rubicat.

J

JKDream

Honestly, I would ditch the cross member skid and just get an HD replacement cross member. Your transmission will still be protected along with its exposed cooler line and really, the only thing that will get hit a bit from time to time is maybe your exhaust cross over and that's no big deal. This is what I've been running on Rubicat.

Thanks, I didn't end up ordering that - just the oil pan/transmission skid.
Figured the exhaust wasn't a big deal, and if it ever does get mangled it'll just be an excuse to get something nicer.

Would you be able to check out the question above regarding the transmission mounting plate?
I'll be installing the kit tomorrow and am still a bit unsure about it.

Top Bottom