Re-gear questions

Markel1

Hi all, regear of '17 rubicon is next on my list. Live in West Texas speed limits of 75 and 80, generally need to go 5 over to not get ran over in traffic here. What can I expect or you recommend 4:88 or 5:13 running 37's? I plan on trails in AZ, CO and NM during vacations away from oil field. No serious rock climbing yet.

Glad I found this forum as it has been a good resource. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Markel1

5.13 will leave you feeling like stock if you're running 4.10's. If you run 4.88 it will feel just like it does right now

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Unfortunately have 3:73, bought it from a dealer after it had been repossessed with 305 miles and 35's, was a mall crawler build, that I am working on making right. So I don't know what stock in it would have felt like. Lol

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
5.13 all the way. I run 4.88 with 35's and love it. It's about 300 rpm stronger than when I had 4.10 and stock tires. If speed on the highway is your objective, then 4.88. I rarely run over 75.

J

JKDream

5.13 will leave you feeling like stock if you're running 4.10's. If you run 4.88 it will feel just like it does right now

Not the case for me. I always had to downshift on 35s with 4.10s on the highway. I don't have any problem maintaining speed on 37s with 4.88s now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah I never really understood that. The RPM difference is like 100.
5:13 is a performance gear set, better for low range and towing.
4:88 is better for highway.

I have a hard time doing 70+ mph with 5:13's, the rpm gets too high for freeway driving in my opinion.
However I went that route as we have a lot of hills - flatground I would have went 4:88.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I have 4.88's and 37's. When above 70mph, the slightest uphill causes a downshift, so I'm at 3,500rpm a lot of the time. 5.13 would be better.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I have 4.88's and 37's. When above 70mph, the slightest uphill causes a downshift, so I'm at 3,500rpm a lot of the time. 5.13 would be better.

The shop that did my gears said gear strong. He said he'd never had anyone come back wanting to go down a level, but he'd had plenty come back to go up. In my case, he recommended 4.88 with 35's, over 4.56.

When I first talked to him on the telephone, I said 4.56 or 4.88, even though I was leaning to 4.88. I'm happy, and the Pentastar can handle the revs.

I'm done here. There are "what gears?" threads all over the forum, and you are going to get a bunch of different opinions, so good luck.

Last edited:

austin160

I run 37's and 4.88, but is pretty flat in North Alabama where I live so it works out. Going up big hills on the interstate I down shift occasionally and I don't run cruise control much. I also pull a camper and can run 6th gear while pulling it no problem, except for hills. It all depends on how you drive and what you want to do. If you are automatic go bigger.

kirstinthemermaid

Yeah I agree with the rest. If you are automatic with 37's then 5.13 should be the perfect ratio for you. I'm running 35's with 3.73 and it's awful. I will probably upgrade to 5.13 honestly since I plan on doing 37's within the next year.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Yeah I agree with the rest. If you are automatic with 37's then 5.13 should be the perfect ratio for you. I'm running 35's with 3.73 and it's awful. I will probably upgrade to 5.13 honestly since I plan on doing 37's within the next year.

I went 4.88 because I was going to "wear out" my 35's first. Well 2 months later I sold them and got 37's. :doh:

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
I just had 4.88 installed running 35's still have to down shift threw the mountains. My buddies have 5.13 with 37's they still have to downshift trew the mountains. I went from 4.10's to the 4.88's didn't see a huge difference on pavement. Big change when your in the desert or crawling though. If you have friends with both gearing ask to drive there's. See what you think then.

Last edited:

Journeyman

37's and 5.13's
No matter what you get your gonna have downshift for the mountains. I'm not sure the rpm difference from 5.13 to 5.38 but I'm sitting at 3200 rpm's on my coopers at 80 mph

jesse3638

Hooked
Right? Love all this trial and error. A week later you wish you would have just upgraded initially, haha.
That's why when I installed my lift (3") I opted to spend the money on a long arm lift as I knew I'd want to go there eventually..haha. I try to build where I want to go not where I am.
I just had 4.88 installed running 35's still have to down shift threw the mountains. My buddies have 5.13 with 37's they still have to downshift trew the mountains. I went from 4.10's to the 4.88's didn't see a huge difference on pavement. Big change when your in the desert or crawling though. If you have friends with both gearing ask to drive there's. See what you think then.

Best advice right here.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

kirstinthemermaid

That's why when I installed my lift (3") I opted to spend the money on a long arm lift as I knew I'd want to go there eventually..haha. I try to build where I want to go not where I am.

Best advice right here.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

You are very smart in that sense. Trust me if I had more money, I would have fixed many of my initial mistakes by now.

Top Bottom